TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

Had a good night last night. Woke up at 12:45 for the bathroom and back to sleep, waking up at 7am. My leg feels like a wooden log from the swelling but all good otherwise. So far, no bruising! I was black and blue from my thighs to my foot in my LTKR, in July. Feeling good, no complaints.
 
Had a fairly decent day today. I have gotten up and walked around the house quite a few times, gotten up for potty and something to eat. I realized that I haven’t had an oxy since yesterday at 1:30 pm. I have been on round the clock Tylenol and 15mgs meloxicam (1 x per day) and seem to be doing well. In the hospital, I had 2 doxes of oxy (5 mg each dose) along with tramadol. So, a total of 3 oxy’s during this TKR. I didn’t take it long on my LTKR in July, but this was really fast. I honestly do not feel as though I need it. I have it on the counter, easy access, if necessary. I am hoping for another good night of sleep.
 
Another day done. I slept very well last night and only got up once through the night. I did some walking around the house and folded laundry today, which was the highlight of my day. LOL. Have not taken oxy since Tuesday which was 1 5mg tab. Still a total of 3, including the 2 in the hospital. At this point, I think I am done with the oxy but will keep them handy, just in case. I am taking the Tylenol and Meloxicam and that keeps things at bay. I am quite swollen but still find walking easier today than yesterday. I am using the walker so I don’t limp but taking those steps is easier.

The doctor told me that there is really nothing you can do to hurt the knee, except falling on it. Hearing that and also this being my 2nd knee, I have more confidence than I did in July.
 
Yes! With my first knee I was convinced I was going to randomly, accidentally destroy the implant! I was definitely more confident about things like trying stairs (we have none at home), walking on inclines, etc the second time around.
It's wonderful reading about your smooth first days home!
 
Another good night last night and decent day today. Last night I slept from 10:30 until 7:00 this morning, not getting up for the bathroom, either. Today, we have warm temps for the end of October and went outside for a little walk. I noticed this evening that I never took my Tylenol this afternoon and my knee still feels good. I will take Tylenol at bedtime, though.

My surgeons office called to see how I was doing and was amazed how well I am sleeping and, no oxy.

My left knee swelled up a bit today, that is my new knee, as opposed to my new new knee. All is good, no complaints.

I have to say that I am shocked I really have no bruising. When I had my LTHR, I was terribly bruised and my LTKR, I was bruised from above the knee down into my foot.
 
What amazing progress you're making. The sleep you got last night...wonderful!

Hopefully no bruising shows. I didn't initially have any either...until day 17 post op. It kind of frightened me because I thought maybe I did something to cause it, but nope, just surfaced late. You're doing great!, Nivea.
@Nivea
 
That's awesome!!!! I didn't start forgetting Tylenol doses until at least three months postop!!!!
 
Have been doing great! Slept well Friday night and last night, no complaints there. Yesterday was more like a summer day than fall. Walked outside and it felt good, sat out on our patio for a couple of hours, then sat with neighbors for a couple of hours talking. Got some fresh air and some sun and the afternoon flew by. Of course, my leg is swollen but walking and doing limited exercises. I have no complaints.

We, along with several neighbors, all gather at one house and have a pot luck supper for Halloween. We bring whatever we are giving out to the trick or treaters and give it out as one group. I plan on participating again so have that Tuesday.
 
So happy to hear that TKR #2 is done and recovery is underway. If you have the energy I’m curious to know why your OS says no ice or elevation? I ask because the ice feels great but elevation not so much!

Wishing you all the best.
 
@KPup Thanks! My OS seems to feel as though with icing, the blood vessels constrict and yes, it may feel good and ease the swelling/pain, he wants the blood flowing to the area, which also is carrying oxygen. He seems to feel as though that is better for healing. I never did ask as to why he doesn’t believe in the elevating.

I had my THR back in 2017 and was referred to this surgeon. I liked him and went back to him for my knees, he only does hips/knees. I had no idea that he didn’t believe in icing and elevating, so got an ice machine and the lounge doctor that Bonesmart recommend. I figured I was going to have 2 knees done, make things easier. I was getting my discharge instructions and he has do not ice or elevate. He even has a paragraph how other people/doctors may have different instructions but follow his protocol. I sent back the ice machine, did keep the lounge doctor but haven’t used it. His protocol worked and am on my 2nd round, following again.

My OS does not believe in any sort of PT other than “use it”. I do a little bit of the heel slides and that’s about it. He wants me up and walking every hour, so that is getting me out of the recliner and using my knee. In the early days, it’s going to the bathroom and a little walking around the house. I gradually do a bit more walking and it all seems to work.

Hoping your recovery is uneventful but remember everyone is different and every knee is different.
 
did keep the lounge doctor but haven’t used it
I borrowed my Lounge Doctor to my mom for her second THR. She had it for several months and I missed it so I asked her if she was still using it and she said "Yes, I lean against it while watching tv in bed or reading!" Huh?!!!
Who knew, it can serve a dual purpose? So try it and see if you find it comfy, then it won't feel like a waste of money because it does cost a good chunk of change for a hunk of foam, just to gather dust in a closet somewhere. I do use mine, so I don't regret the investment.

It has been interesting following your thread and realizing how well you're doing as a BoneSmart outlaw, :wink: :heehee:
That comment was fully intended in good humor...a joke of sorts. I am nonetheless happy to read your very inspiring updates. May it only get better. Truth be told, while I was a fanatic user of ice, elevation...not so much, if ever. A wonderful week to you, Nivea!
 
Thanks Layla. Interesting about other uses for the lounge doctor! I was actually disappointed when I found out no elevation I could see myself using it a being all comfy in the living room or bed.

Took a walk outside this afternoon and all of our neighbors are so supportive. One said, you seem to be doing so well, if I I didn’t know better I wouldn’t have guessed you just had a knee replacement. I am surprising myself, even. I got your humor I found Bonesmart in 2017 when I had my LTHR, so read up a bit prior to my LTKR, so ordered things to assist in my recovery. Who knew my doctor would say, nope? I do think the OS should give a heads up, prior to surgery. Oh well. My OS did say his protocol is his pragmatic way of thinking. if this approach didn’t work for me, I wouldn’t follow it the 2nd time.

It’s all good! My bandage comes off tomorrow which means I will be 1 week into this recovery. I think 15 weeks from my left knee. Early days still.
 
@KPup Thanks! My OS seems to feel as though with icing, the blood vessels constrict and yes, it may feel good and ease the swelling/pain, he wants the blood flowing to the area, which also is carrying oxygen. He seems to feel as though that is better for healing. I never did ask as to why he doesn’t believe in the elevating.

I had my THR back in 2017 and was referred to this surgeon. I liked him and went back to him for my knees, he only does hips/knees. I had no idea that he didn’t believe in icing and elevating, so got an ice machine and the lounge doctor that Bonesmart recommend. I figured I was going to have 2 knees done, make things easier. I was getting my discharge instructions and he has do not ice or elevate. He even has a paragraph how other people/doctors may have different instructions but follow his protocol. I sent back the ice machine, did keep the lounge doctor but haven’t used it. His protocol worked and am on my 2nd round, following again.

My OS does not believe in any sort of PT other than “use it”. I do a little bit of the heel slides and that’s about it. He wants me up and walking every hour, so that is getting me out of the recliner and using my knee. In the early days, it’s going to the bathroom and a little walking around the house. I gradually do a bit more walking and it all seems to work.

Hoping your recovery is uneventful but remember everyone is different and every knee is different.
I had LTKR in 2021 and did the six weeks of PT. 2 years later the swelling is finally gone. The PT was painful and intense.

So this time I am doing the bonesmart way. It’s such a relief to do some mild stretching to loosen things up, instead of taking pain meds and pushing it.

I find that I have much less swelling this time and the bruising is healing much faster.

Elevation hurts my bones so it’s been rough. I am not going to worry about it as much as I have been. Thanks for sharing his protocol.

So happy to follow your progress and see how well you’re doing. I’m out in the sun for the first time since surgery today and fresh air is so nice!

Best wishes.
 
One thing I keep forgetting to comment on, rapid weight gain. I weighed myself prior to surgery, came home and gained 12 lbs. I looked at the scale and nearly fell over. I am presuming it is the swelling/fluid and remember weight gain with my LTKR but don’t recall it being this much!
 
Don't forget all the fluids they gave you at the hospital. They add to the weight gain, too. As your swelling goes down, your weight should, too.
 
I didn’t notice any weight gain, but then I wasn’t looking for it, either. I was too busy just trying to survive each day. It never occurred to me to get on a scale. Maybe, in some cases, ignorance is bliss! :heehee:
 
I weighed myself prior to surgery, came home and gained 12 lbs. I looked at the scale and nearly fell over.
This was me right after surgery, too! A 10-pound weight gain in 2 days! The good news is that it all came off in a matter of weeks as the fluid retention and inflammation went down.

Be sure you are getting plenty of clear fluids; they help with the process.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom