TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

I truly love reading your updates!!!!!
 
Had my 2 week post op visit yesterday, all went well. OS was very pleased with how things look and how I am doing. It was a nice day out as we are 1.5 hours from the docs office but near our son & daughter in law, so was able to see our daughter in law. Our daughter in law works from home, so it was a nice visit as well as seeing our grand dog! We had a nice lunch out, as well. The OS is near where we moved from (2 years ago), so went to a few stores that are there and not local to our new home. We ran a couple of other errands while up there, too. We left the house at 7:45 and didn’t get home until 5:15. All in all a good day.
 
Wow, such a long day, and yet you did so well for only 2 weeks post op! I truly believe that one of the reasons you are doing so well is that no one is forcing your knee to do anything, which has given you time to actually recover, and not reinjure it as so many of us experienced by doing all the recommended PT. Your doctor’s skill is also a factor, as well as how your individual body has reacted to the surgery. You are very blessed!
 
OMG, such energy so quickly is impressive!!! It took me 6 weeks to summon the energy and sitting capacity to join a friend for brunch at a cafe... and went directly home to the recliner!!! You're inspiring!!!!!
 
It is a cool, drizzly day but had a follow up appointment today with the oral surgeon. Everything is fine now but wants to see me again in 3 weeks. We ran a couple of errands while out and then home. After lunch I vacuumed, did a load of laundry and now will be in the recliner the rest of the day. I will get up and walk each hour. I stopped using the walker, went to the cane for a few days and now not using anything. Depending upon where I go, I will use it outside of the house. If it’s not bad, I don’t take it.

Speaking with a neighbor the other day, she was telling me about her dreadful PT when she had her knee done. Another neighbor said that the PT had him on his belly and bent his knee so his foot was nearly at his butt. I thought to myself, that would be a hard no on that. I thought of our BoneSmart community and so glad I didn’t have that to contend with.
 
@mendogal Thanks for the kind words. I am basically following what my OS’s protocol is and that is to use the knee. Of course, take it easy and don’t overdue but my PT is using it. He has said to go out, get out of the house, if you can. So, both TKRs, I did just that. I was 2 days post op for my left knee and went to an important HOA meeting, 5 days post op at a neighbors BBQ and went out to lunch several times. This time, didn’t get out quite as fast but did go to a Halloween neighborhood pot luck 8 days post op and have been out to lunch several times. Also, tagged along with my husband on several errands, even if I stayed in the car, just to get out.

Fortunately, I have been sleeping well so that is a huge help. Not sure I could have been doing all of this had sleep been an issue. I took a total of 3 Oxys this time, 2 in the hospital and 1 home and that was it. I haven’t gone through the full prescription of oxys from my first surgery…5 days @ 5mg each. I have been very fortunate and I know that.
 
After lunch I vacuumed, did a load of laundry
You are doing very well, but I feel I must caution you about too much activity. Remember, it’s only been 2 weeks since you had major surgery. Too much activity too soon could cause a big setback which could happen suddenly. Getting out is one thing, vacuuming is a more challenging activity. Please be careful. :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Jockette for looking after me. I know, I actually vacuumed last week too (don’t smack me! LOL). This is what I did for my left knee as well. I am now in the recliner with a cup of tea on this lousy Friday afternoon. You and the rest of the BoneSmart staff & community are the best ❤️
 
Hi Nivea,
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with those you love. Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
I'm guessing Righty and four month old Lefty are beginning to work well in unison.
Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend. I just remembered its Black Friday, hopefully you don't get caught up in the madness anywhere. I don't even attempt shopping on this day. Crazy Town out there!
Take care!
@Nivea
 
Thanks, Layla. Hope you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving. Ours was wonderful and have been relaxing yesterday and today. No shopping for us out of the house, online only. We have a small family so it’s quite easy.

I seem to be doing well and managing all that I need to do. I have had a little bit more IT band pain this time around. It hasn’t hampered me too much but it lets me know it’s there. I know it’s slow and steady which wins the race.

It has been an awful year as it started out with my dad passing away 1/1/23. He had a single family house in Florida and we 1500 miles north, so spent lots of time in Florida and sold the house. I had the 2 knee replacements and dental issues. Going into the holidays is a bit tough for our family. However, we have a bright spot and something to look forward to. We are going to be grandparents! Our grandson is due 5/29. With all that is going on now, my knee is taking the back burner at times. I am taking care of myself but it’s not my focus. It’s getting through the holidays and our grandson.
 
I’m sorry it’s been a tough year but happy you have a grandson coming! My youngest is 2 and he’s so cute!
 
You will be thrilled to hold that new grandson in May and your knee should be fine to do so! I'm sorry to read of your dad's passing on New Year's Day.
 
What a bittersweet update.... losing your dad (may his memory be a blessing) and preparing to welcome a grandchild... sending a ((hug))
 
Aww, sending a big hug on the loss of your dear dad, Nivea. :console2: I am sorry it's a rough time for you heading into the holidays.

This time of year can be difficult for so many. Thankfully you have the arrival of precious baby to look forward to as your focus in the moments of sadness and reflection. I hope the memories of your dad bring a smile during this Christmas and you find comfort amongst loved ones during the holiday season. Thanks for sharing an update with us. @Nivea
 
Had my 6 week check up this week with the OS. It all went well and doctor was pleased. He gave me an A+, continue to do what I am doing which is ADL, at this point. He said it will just keep getting better on its own, nothing special is needs to be done. If it hurts, don’t do it, basically.

We had a full day yesterday as we left the house at 6:30 AM, went out for breakfast and a few errands before the doctors appointment. It was a 1.5 hour drive to the doctors office, near our old neighborhood. We spent the rest of the day in NJ doing things we wanted to do. Got home at 5:00 PM, unloaded the car, back out for dinner. Once home, took a shower & in jammies. Soon after, a neighbor called asking to come over for a bit. My husband is on our HOA board and another board member needed to talk to him, he’s also a friend, so it was a couple of hours talking.

Now it’s getting ready for Christmas. Our shopping is done, decorations up except needing to decorate the tree. Need to finish the tree and wrap gifts. Having a difficult time as I’ve said my dad passed away 1/1/23. However, what I didn’t say was that it was suicide. He was 87, he was living alone in a single family house and doing well until last August. His health started to fail and he did not want to go into assisted living, refused 24/7 care and refused to be a burden to us. He wouldn’t have been but that was his thinking. He moved to FL after my mom passed away. He had been 10 minutes away from us (NJ) and then to FL. I talked to him every single day at least one, couldn’t reach him NYs Day. Had a wellness check done after trying to reach neighbors. Police came to our house to let us know he had passed. Packed suitcases and started to drive to FL, as did our son and daughter in law, grand dog, too! Let’s just say it was horrible as we didn’t know how he passed and didn’t find out until 1/3 due to the holidays. It was treated as a crime scene at first and the only one to had authority to tell us was off until 1/3. We were told to not go into the house until we had authorization. I am an only child, so all decisions were on me. My husband, son & daughter in law were awesome and we were all on the same page with what needed to be done.

Anyway, enough of all of this. We will get through it all as a family. We also have our grandson to be to look forward to.

My knees are doing what they need to be doing and thankfully no major concerns throughout. I have needed a lot of dental work this year and that is nearly done. 2024 will be a better year!
 
I’m glad your knee is doing so well, and as I‘ve said before, I love your surgeon!

I‘m so sorry about your dad, sending hugs and prayers.

A precious new baby is a joy to look forward to!
 
The holidays are so hard for so many of us, especially when tragedy strikes us. I pray for your peace and health. Good news on having a little one on the way! That is a happy memory.

I've been through a lot of dental work the last year and a half, so I know what you are talking about. I'm glad it's behind both of us!
 
Dear Nivea,
I am so sorry you're having a difficult time as you approach the first anniversary of losing your precious dad in such a unexpected, tragic and heartbreaking way. Big hugs to you.

Thankfully you're making great progress physically and your surgeon is pleased.

Wishing you peace, love and joy during this holiday season and in the year to come.
Hugs and Love! :console2: :loveshwr:
@Nivea
 
Went away for a couple of days and my knee did very well. We were doing a lot of walking, as well as up and down stairs. I can go up regular way, foot over foot but coming downstairs is a whole different ballgame. My knee tonight seems fine, no extra swelling. I am pleased as to how this recovery is going. My OS said at my 6 week appointment, just use the knee and that seems to be working. It is feeling pretty good. Don’t know what my measurements were as my OS does not believe in measuring but it does feel better and I feel my knee is gaining ROM. All in all, no complaints.
 
I had completely missed your previous update and am writing to say how very sorry I am to learn of how your dad passed, my life having been touched similarly. Sending a big ((hug)) to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom