TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

Don’t know what my measurements were as my OS does not believe in measuring but it does feel better and I feel my knee is gaining ROM. All in all, no complaints.
Numbers don't matter, it the function of your knee that does and it sounds like you are functioning well for less than 2 months out!
 
Exaclty, @sistersinhim. I haven’t been measured at all, my OS has looked to see what I can do at both my check ups and he’s pleased. I honestly was walking around and didn’t remember I had replacements! Now, the stairs reminded me, not pain wise, but I have to go down one step at a time and going up I have to go slow but can manage foot over foot.
 
I agree with the soft pillows under the leg for sleeping on your back at night, if you can sleep that way. I have been doing that and started sleeping through the night on Day 3 with just getting up once for bathroom (as usual, even before surgery). I couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning, looked at the clock, and it was already 5:30 (my normal wake-up time when I go to bed by 10:00). I haven't had the narcotic pain pill since yesterday afternoon, and so far am doing okay pain-wise with acetominophen (1000 mg) at 8-hour intervals. My PT said just to be careful with bunching up a pillow behind the knee, as that can apply unwanted pressure there, encouraging clots.
 
I honestly was walking around and didn’t remember I had replacements!
Well, that is amazing! You've done so well and I've enjoyed following your journey.
Wishing you the merriest Christmas and many blessings in 2024, Nivea.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Righty!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thank you, Layla. For me, my knee replacement(s) journey is better than I had anticipated. I understand that everyone is different, all knees are different and feel very blessed to have had an uneventful recovery. This isn’t to say it has been easy, by any stretch. I have had a hip replacement and the knees are certainly harder.
Merry Christmas to you, as well. Have a happy and healthy new year!
 
Hi Nivea,
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope 2024 is off to a good start for you. Wishing you all the best. :)
@Nivea
 
Thank you, Layla, 2024 is starting out much better than 2023 and hopefully, will continue.
I seem to be doing well and forget, at times, I have 2 new knees.
I still have IT issues on my right knee and it hurts to bend too far. My OS was not concerned when I saw him at 6 weeks and don’t see him again until June. Some sleeping positions will have my left knee hurting but once I move positions, it’s fine.

All in all, I can’t complain with either knee. I have slept well with both knees,. Did not finish the Oxy from the first replacement, didn’t even pick that prescription up for the 2nd one. I only took them in the hospital for my 2nd knee. I have walked without the walker or cane quite early on. Both have been a positive outcome for me, despite the right one being a bit slower. My right knee was the worst and he had to do more work in there, so no surprise there.

I have to say, BoneSmart was wonderful with my hip replacement and now both knees. It has felt like a family and knowing I am not alone in this recovery. I have learned a lot and you have all been there for all. I have had relatively easy recoveries compared to many and know that you are helpful to every single one of us.
 
You have been so blessed in your recovery, especially your ability to be able to sleep.
 
Lovely update, Nivea! Thanks for sharing. I looked for updates like yours leading up to my surgery. Your journey had been inspirational. May it only get better!
@Nivea :egypdance:
 
The kind of updates we love to read and that shine for your fellow members!
 
Hi! Haven’t been here in quite sometime. Things are going well and wanted to say that I had my 1 year check, a little early, for my left knee and a check for my right knee. I received a clean bill of health, all the way around. I don’t need to go back for 2 years. As many of us know, TKRs tend to be a long haul recovery and my surgeon reiterated that this is a 2 year process. The bulk of recovery is done within the first year but continues into the 2nd year.

On another note, we became grandparents 5/24/24! Our grandson, Liam, is healthy with mom and dad adjusting to parenthood. He is awesome!
 
So good to hear from you!

I was actually thinking of you just a little while ago. My knee is bothering me today and I thought of you and your surgeon.

Congratulations on that sweet baby boy! My youngest grandson is 2 and a half and was visiting me a couple of weeks ago (he lives in Ohio) We had a great time!
 
Thanks! Grandchildren are the best. Glad you had a good visit with your grandson.

I have zero pain walking and we walk our neighborhood a lot. I still have 4 months until my 1 year with my right knee and my doc is pleased, no reason to go back unless I feel the need.
 
What a nice surprise to see your update. Thanks for stopping by, Nivea!
It sounds like you're doing so well.
As many of us know, TKRs tend to be a long haul recovery and my surgeon reiterated that this is a 2 year process. The bulk of recovery is done within the first year but continues into the 2nd year.
It's unfortunate more people don't hear this from their surgeon.

Congrats on the birth of precious Liam! I agree...grandkids are the best. Love em up, then send em home, lol :wink:
Enjoy the baby hugs and kisses and have a wonderful Summer!
 
Thanks Layla. Glad my knees are well on their way for full recovery. It also means I have more time for the sweet kisses for Liam we met him 3 hours after birth and instantly fell in love. Same to you, enjoy your summer.
 
It's wonderful to read that you are doing so well! Your doctor is a gem acknowledging that this is a long recovery. Way too many want their patients to push, push, push! This just leads to an even longer recovery.
 
Congrats on becoming grandparents! He was born in my oldest s 41st birthday!
Marie
 
Back
Top Bottom