TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

Thanks @benne68 It is a bit of a shock to see that scale.

Had another good night of sleep last night. Did some walking around the house this morning and then had a regularly scheduled appointment with a new PCP. We moved to a new state 2 years ago and trying to get into a doctors has been rough. The first year we were here I went back to my PCP that I had been seeing for years. We had decided that the first year, we’d stay with our “old” doctors, giving us time to research new docs. To our surprise there aren’t a whole lot and the waits to get in are long. We have found that some practices are only NPs, no MD or DO in the practice. We were then told by several people to avoid docs out of one of the hospitals here, so that narrowed things down more. It’s not like it is where we came from. Finally, found a doctor and we made appointments. I called in March 2023 and didn’t get an appointment until August. The office called in July and had to reschedule that appointment until today. Ugh. It was with a NP but they do have 2 MDs in the practice.

I have to say that this NP must never have dealt with a patient with a recent TKR as she was stunned at the swelling. She looked at my left knee/calf/ankle (TKR 7/17/23) and asked why that was swollen a bit. I said it was a 3 month old knee being asked to do more work as my right knee was just replaced. She looked at my right leg and was still a bit surprised. She wanted me to take pictures and send to my OS as she doesn’t think that is right. Hmmm, it’s fine. I am 7 days post op today on my right knee, have done this before, it’s fine. Oh well, it was my first time seeing her and I guess she wants to cover herself.

Took a walk outside this afternoon as we still have summer temps. The rest of the day, I have been reading and relaxing.
 
I’m glad you know what you’re doing! :thumb:
 
All thanks to Bonesmart!

After surgery last week, the nurses even said it wasn’t my first rodeo and I was making it easy for them.

I almost told the NP today that I got a lot of knowledge from Bonesmart, as I am sure she’d say something about getting info from a website. I read other peoples recoveries and the replies, I will teach her!
 
7 days post op and dressing came off. I had staples the last time and now glue. Does everything look okay? I am a bit nervous that the little red spots mean that it’s open??? There was no red blood on the gauze at all, presuming it’s all okay but I overthink everything.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Second Knee Replacement Done
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 57
Nivea, if it is not draining and there was nothing on the gauze. I wouldn't worry about it. The nurse practitioner would have commented had she thought it needed watching or attention.
She looked at my left knee/calf/ankle (TKR 7/17/23) and asked why that was swollen a bit. I said it was a 3 month old knee being asked to do more work as my right knee was just replaced. She looked at my right leg and was still a bit surprised. She wanted me to take pictures and send to my OS as she doesn’t think that is right.
My OS once mentioned that swelling can last up to a full year, normally easing along the way.

Finding a doctor in your new locale sounds like it was work. Thankfully you finally found one.
Have a nice night!
 
7 days post op and dressing came off. I had staples the last time and now glue. Does everything look okay? I am a bit nervous that the little red spots mean that it’s open??? There was no red blood on the gauze at all, presuming it’s all okay but I overthink everything.
I've had the glue strip twice, and my surgeon's protocol is that the bulky dressing is removed at home in 24 hours, by me; a protective dressing over the glue strip is removed at one week by his MA, and the glue strip is removed by his PA at three weeks.
I honestly don't know if its ok or not. If mine looked like that I'd be concerned about open areas and wouldn't have left the office without asking what to do ... I suggest you call them.
 
Thanks @mendogal

My dressing was Aquacel and instructions were to remove at 7 days. I have literature from them with instructions on how to remove. It was not a bulky dressing, more like a large, very sticky band aid. No other bandage at all, just remove it and then let it hit the air, nothing else covering it required. It was removed here, at home. I plan on sending a picture to the OS in the morning.
 
Hi @Nivea thank you for clarifying! So there are multiple products known as glue strips.... Mine was a thick, yellowish, almost opaque rectangle, and had no surrounding bandaid-like perimeter.
 
Good Afternoon Nivea,
I hope you're having a good day so far. Wondering and hoping you've received some reassurance from your OS's office by now on the photo you mentioned you were forwarding.

Enjoy the rest of the day! SNOW on the ground in my neck of the woods this morning! Ugh...No, no, no, its too early for that!
@Nivea
 
Thanks @Layla. Yes, all is well, no issues that they are concerned about. I figured all was good but then I 2nd guess things and got nervous, it’s typical for me.

Snow, no. Just no. Too early in the year, for sure. However, I wasn’t liking the summer like temps we were having the last few days. We’ve been in shorts and going out for a walk, it was hot. We are cooler today (50s) and it feels good. It’s fall weather, don’t like too hot nor too cold. 50s and 60s, even low 70s are much better.

I slept very well last night, Today has been a bit more quiet, walking around the house and relaxing. We are heading to our neighbors late afternoon for a pot luck supper in the driveway. We did this last year and it was fun! There will be about 15 of us, we all bring our candy to hand out and spend the time eating and talking. We don’t have a lot of kids in the neighborhood but enjoy getting together. So figured I’d be using me leg a bit more and will be sitting without being in the recliner, so would relax today.
 
Wonderful news, Nivea! I think its easy to question things and second guess in this recovery and it never hurts to ask, especially when you receive reassurance like you did. It is worth the peace of mind.

The neighborhood pot luck sounds fun, especially if the neighborhood doesn't have a lot of kids. We have our fair share, but with the snow and frigid temps, it may be a light night for the little ghouls and goblins. We will see.
Happy Halloween, enjoy your pot luck supper!
@Nivea
 
Things are still going well. Have been sleeping well and doing a bit more of every day life. I will say that my right knee seems a bit more swollen than July with the left knee. I seem to recall my bend was a bit better in July. However, I know each knee is different and my right knee was worse than the left. I went for the left first as it was more painful at that time.

We had a nice evening on Halloween, our pot luck dinner with our neighbors was lots of fun and enjoyed seeing the little kids. This morning I had my mammogram & bone density test and we are going out to lunch. Enjoying some cooler weather, too.
 
All still going well with my recovery. I go to my OS on Thursday for my 2 week post op.
We went to a neighbors birthday brunch on Sunday and had a lot of fun and nice to see everyone.
Yesterday, we drove about 45 minutes to a mall and did a little shopping, as well as having a nice lunch out.
I am off of Tylenol since Saturday, could have stopped it a few days prior but did take it morning and bedtime, a couple of extra days.
So, had a total of 3 Oxys and less than 2 weeks of Tylenol. I was to take the meloxicam for 2 weeks, so stopped that on Monday.
I have been sleeping really well right from the start, so no complaints there.
I have taken some walks outside and enjoying some fresh air, going a bit further each day.
I stopped using the walker last Thursday and use a cane when out of the house. When inside the house I am walking without an aid. I am walking without a limp and stable, leg/knee seems to be doing well.
This recovery is a bit different, not much but the major swelling has lasted longer than July.
All in all, no complaints with either of my recoveries.
 
Your surgeon (and his recovery protocol) is definitely at the top of my list! I wish I’d found someone like him before I signed up for my PKR.
 
Thanks, Jockette. i actually got lucky as I thought my pain in 2017 was from my back. I went to the orthopedic group and saw a doctor that specializes in backs and he said no, it’s not your back, it’s your hip. He went out of the exam room, came back and said he was able to get me into the hip doctor right then and there. My hip was a disaster, basically no hip left. The surgeon does hips and knees and I was very satisfied with him back in 2017 for my THR. I went back to him when I knew it was time for my knees.
 
Finding the right doctor is a huge blessing and it certainly sounds like you have! Your recovery is phenomenal!
 
You're doing so well at only two weeks post op! I hope you have a nice visit with your OS on Thursday.
I am sure he will be very pleased with your progress. It has been interesting following your recoveries.
Have a nice week, Nivea!
@Nivea
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom