Guest viewing is limited

TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie, that steel band, I called it the plaster cast, is swelling. As soon as it starts to leave you will feel that get smaller and smaller and the pain less and less. If you find swelling or pain tomorrow, back down to 10 min. and don't push the knee to its angry place. Happy knees mean a happy you! :th_heehee:
 
Natalie, that steel band, I called it the plaster cast, is swelling. As soon as it starts to leave you will feel that get smaller and smaller and the pain less and less. If you find swelling or pain tomorrow, back down to 10 min. and don't push the knee to its angry place. Happy knees mean a happy you! :th_heehee:

At about 7:30 on my knee if it were a clock, sharper pain, and below, the steel band. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. It has yet to leave, been with me since 3rd month started.
Also have alot of gas, not sure why, connected to my hip flex or and quad issue. I use pressure and counter pressure many times...then it goes away when gas is released...so many troubles since this TKR, never had any of this before it, but...no more severe pain like I had before the TkR.
Thanks...appreciate all input.
 
Thanks Jo, I can depend on you for the real deal. They told me in PT that was due to swelling. Now I know. However, when the major swelling went down, I got relief from that band. Right after the infection the band was huge going from above the knee to below it. Now it is gone and I have slight numbness in the knee.
 
Thanks Jo and Mimi for the response on the steel band that I have on my knee... hope it will heel soon, and go away.
 
Hi Natalie, I still have it to a certain extent, and I am 15 months post RTKR, it is not a real problem, no pain and not actually discomfort, just a reminder that the knee is probably still healing, and it doesn't really let me forget about the knee, but I have learned so much from this site especially that everyone's recovery is unique, some fast, some slow, and some downright cussed, but we all get there in the end, and patience is definitely the name of the game!!

Good luck with your continued recovery and a Happy New Year!:friends:
 
Thank you. I rode my bike outside for 15 minutes today. I will continue to do 15 minutes for several more days. If that goes well I will increase the time. I will let p t know on wednesday that I am finished.
 
Hi Natalie,

my last pt was on 12/15 and I have been doing gentle stretching, quad sets, and riding my recumbent bike everyday for 30 minutes with resistance. I think this has helped as I no longer am using my cane except when I first get up, and I have been able to cut way back on pain meds. I do have the tight band feeling but it seems to have subsided quite a bit, especially since I had the MUA.

Hope you find relief soon.

Best, Dawn
 
I think I am 10 days behind you, so you are doing great... I rode the bike outside today for 15 minutes, and came back and iced for 20. It feels ok right now, I am still taking advil a couple of times a day... took some right before I biked. I too am doing gentle stretches and stretching the quad and hamstring each day. I think PT served it's purpose, taught me the stretches and now it's time for me to fly on my own,
 
Natalie.....it sounds like you are doing things just right. The slow and steady approach is almost always going to give you the best result. Some of those aches and pains following surgery can hang around for a while, so don't get discouraged.
 
Well, I rode the bike again for 15 minutes outside, it was a bit sore this morning, stiff is the word, with a bit of pain, but not bad, came back, iced, and took a nap. How good is that?
I called the PT and cancelled the rest of the month, told them I had attained my goal, to ride the bike OUTSIDE again, and I had done that ... yipppeeee, took me 5 months (didn't think it would take that long), but I did it.
We are going to New Orleans for 4 days, will do some walking, but I take a "cane" stool, tripod thing, used in sports events, and if I get tired, I SIT.... it works..

 
:thumb: Great for you!!! Well done!
 
OK, figured out the photo thing, the photo is of our Papillon, ZOEY, who is a therapy dog, and I take her to the local hospital 2x a week, and the cancer treatment center 2x a month... she is 8, and been a therapy dog for 4 years. YES, I walk around the hospital now, yesterday I was achey at the end of the hour, but I try and sit down whenever I can, while talking to patients in rooms or in waiting rooms or the ER or ICU.
 
^very cool--both your work with the therapy dog & that you're getting around better.
 
Oh she's sweeet! Cool that she's a therapy dog, Natalie. One of my cats was a therapy cat for a short while but then my knee got in the way and that was the end of that ....
 
Glad you are doing so well Natalie, and I think your doggie pal is really lovely. How good is she that she is able to be part of other people's therapy, and I have no doubt that she is a large part of your own recovery too.

Hope you continue to improve.:doggieshmooze:
 
Decided to take it easy today, knee hurt a bit, stretches, that is it... slow and easy, going to New Orleans tomorrow, will be on a plane, so want to take it easy, will be walking alot while there, need to go slow...
Yes, Zoey is a sweatheart, she loves people... wags her tail all the time...
 
What a beautiful dog, Natalie. So glad you are getting back to normal. Hope your trip goes well.
 
Your dog is a real cutie! Have a blast in the Big Easy! Take some zip lock bags for ice for the knee, just in case.:wink1:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom