Guest viewing is limited

Waited for a "specialist" in Boston UNHAPPY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick02809

junior member
Joined
Jul 21, 2011
Messages
86
Location
Rhode Island, USA
I cannot believe that I waited almost 6 months for an appointment with one of the best surgeons in the RI/MA area. I called the hospital where this physician admits to and was given an office date of November 28th. We drove from RI to Boston, and arrived 45 minutes earlier than the 1:00 appointment, the staff informed us that he was running 3 hours behind schedule. :hissyfit:

After a very long wait, and having to listen to a patient in the waiting room drone on and on and on about her travel habits, we met the Dr. He had the personality of a wet mop, and told me that if I wanted the surgery, I would have to pay him $2,200 in cash 3 weeks prior to the surgery! :hate-shocked: This "fee" was something that my BCBS wouldnt cover he said. We initially booked it, and was given a surgery date for April!

I asked what the recovery time was for his "specialized" procedure, "it's the same recovery time, you are paying for a smaller scar" I was told.

At work the next day, I called an OS in Providence, RI and immediately got an appointment for 12/14.

This OS is very nice, took the time to explain all that I should expect, would schedule a PT come to my home the 1st week. I'm having the surgery done in RI close to home instead of over an hour away in January.

I'm upset that I hobbled around for the last 6 months in agony waiting for a specialist..... lessons learned.

January 25th cant come fast enough :yes 4:
 
Well, yes indeed! Sometimes people with the label 'top' or 'best' aren't that at all! I always counter with "in whose opinion?" Often as not it's either their own opinion or because they are the chief of surgery at the hospital, something like that. An old friend of mine recently had his hip done in London and when I asked him where he had it done and he told me the name of the surgeon and the hospital, I was too late to disguise my expression. He also said this chap was 'the top man' at this hospital. I had to tell him that particular hospital was mediocre in the great scheme of things, certainly for hip replacements, and that somebody had to be chief of surgery there! Doesn't necessarily make him the 'best' of anything!

So, I am pleased you learn your lesson in time to switch horses and get someone who seems to have a bit more sense.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Do read in the hip and general sections of the Library. You'll find a lot of good info there.
 
Rick, welcome to bonesmart. I'm a newer member too and I'm sure you will find this board to be an excellent resource, as I have.

Sorry you went through that ordeal with the surgeon problem. As long as your new surgeon is experienced, you should be just fine. There are a lot of surgeons who do hip replacements and do them well. Doesn't matter which procedure you have; the recovery process might be a little different, but we all end up at the same place. The important thing is that whatever you have done is done right.

Dorothy
 
Hi Rick. Welcome to BoneSmart. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I waited 3-4 months to get an appt. with a top surgeon in Boston and ultimately went with an (excellent) hospital in NH.

Please let me refer you to Josephine's posting on selecting a surgeon. You may have already asked about, or the hospital may have already volunteered, some of this information. But there may be some questions here you have not thought of and may want to ask.

Good luck on your journey! It is well worth it!

https://bonesmart.org/hip/how-to-choose-a-hip-or-knee-replacement-surgeon-and-prosthesis/
 
Wow, Rick! That guy sounds like a slick operator rather than a physcian. I am very sympathetic to surgeons being reimbursed well for their skill and training, but can you imagine if all surgeons just arbitrarily upped their fees, so that only the very wealthy could afford the service?

It is my understanding that "balanced billing" (where the doc charges the patient for more than the insurance provider is willing to pay) is illegal in many states within the insured's network of providers . It is illegal in Medicare.

You found someone now and that is what counts!:thumb:
 
Rick I'm so glad you listen to your feeling. Before you know it January will come and go and you can start your journey on healing. Get ready to have some down time right after surgry. get a good book you wanted to read so during the down time you can read or do hand work it does help the time go faster. I will be thinking of you on that day. Take care and keep us posted.:yes 4:
 
Well Rick.... I'm so sorry you had to experience something like that.

And if the doc is a BCBS contracted provider, him trying to charge you is directly against his contract with BCBS. (worked for BCBS plans for over 15 years).

I'm glad to hear you've found someone else - and it seems like you'll receive much better care as well.

I know when I was 'surgeon shopping', I was most interested in both his reputation and volume but the personal meeting was also incredibly important. While my OS doesn't have the warmest, sunniest bedside manner, he is patient with my questions and always offers more information than I've asked.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)
 
Welcome Rick

Isn't it queer how you get that feeling of uncertainty but at least it has turned out alright in the end all the best with the op in January time to get rid of that pain :thumb:

billy
 
As they say, "things happen for a reason". Im at the point where the hip doesn't really hurt all that much now, probably because I've grown to tolerate the pain and most likely have a higher threshold.

This forum is one of the best tools that I have found, it is great to be able to commiserate as well as encourage fellow patients that understand exactly what I am going through.

26 days until the bionic hip is implanted.

Happy New Year!
 
Rick,

Just wanted to say good luck and we'll look forward to your post-op updates.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to have the wait behind you!

Z
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom