TKR Scared but I made it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the kind words, I too wish that this pain would pass, I pray every night that I wake up with little pain, I can tolerate some, but this is ridiculous....
I played 18 holes of golf today, forced myself to get out there, I did make 15 of the holes, before quitting and just riding, I took a celebrex an hour before we played, and 2 tylenol. It helped alot, until it got cold late in the after noon... then I quit and covered my leg with an extra sweatshirt I had. The celebrex actually helped more than the advil did.. so I guess I am back on celebrex and tylenol. I do not want to go on stronger meds, I had TERRIBLE constipation...
More later
 
Again, I will ask, has ANYONE had similar issues with pains coming from the quad muscle from the KNEE up the thigh where the leg joins the torso. When I "push" to go the bathroom, I have to push down on a spot near my torso, on top of the thigh to cease the pain while I "go" to the potty.
Sometimes pain in the lower back in the side by the hip, PT says all these muscles are related, and connect by the knee, and says the QUAD muscles need to be strengthened... has ANYONE had these types of pains, also the pain in the knee, around 9:00 in position (which I can understand) but NOT these pains going up my thigh...
anyone had these issues here on bonesmart? I am 4 months out today...
 
The golf was OK .. last night a bit sore, but it was ok, didn't feel to bad from it this morning... no worse than if I had not done it... so that is not causing these pains by the way, lots of gas, weird ... please help.. if you have heard of what I described in my last post.
 
Glad to hear you were able to play golf!
Ask your PT if they know strain/counterstrain or trigger points? It sounds like you are pushing on a trigger point for relief, it refers down to the knee.
Hope you find some relief for your quad pain.
 
Natalie - your post says it all. You are only 4 months out from your TKR. It's all post-op pain and muscles being asked to do new things. Especially if you played golf! New movements and walking uneven surfaces.

Are you taking your pain meds? Icing? You will continue to experience pain until you get it under control.

Take care!
 
I don't know how many more times we can say the same thing, Natalie. :sigh:
 
Hi Natalie after 4 mouths sounds like you are doing great like everyone said it’s still early in your journey I’m sure the knee plus areas around the knee are still healing to play golf is awesome I’m at 2 mouths and thinking there’s no way I could I could walk or even ride 9 holes but everyone heals different good luck and keep us posted :scratch:
 
Natalie,
I don't have any experience with what you are going through, but I think if it were me, I would probably see my GP. The gas pains and the pains when you're going to the bathroom are something that you should probably have checked out if they haven't eased up. Those could be symptoms of something totally unrelated to your knee. It might be helpful to rule out other issues and make sure there is nothing more serious than some intermittent gastrointestinal issues going on. Hope things are soon brighter for you! Niki
 
Yes, I agree with Editor......make an appointment with your GP and talk about the gas pains. You should NOT be straining to have a bowel movement. NSAIDs can also cause constipation (just like prescription pain meds), so it may be that you need to use stool softeners or add more fiber and water to your diet.

As for the knee pain, I still feel you need to watch your activity level (18 holes of golf sounds like too much!), ice and elevate your leg regularly, and slowly work on muscle strength.
 
Natalie - your post says it all. You are only 4 months out from your TKR. It's all post-op pain and muscles being asked to do new things. Especially if you played golf! New movements and walking uneven surfaces.

Are you taking your pain meds? Icing? You will continue to experience pain until you get it under control.

Take care!
The golf actually did not cause any more pain, might in fact have loosened up some things.
I had no more pain from golfing than any other time, aside from the fact that I golfed, the pain in the thigh is strange...
No one has mentioned anything like it in all the things I have read from everyone on bonesmart. I guess I will have to live with the pain coming from the quad muscles.

I am taking a celebrex 200 mg in the morning, and take a tylenol extra strength every 3 hours, bedtime I take 2, not exceeding the 4000 mg a day.

I will mention to the PT person I am seeing now about pressure points/counter pressure points...

I am in contact with the GP, she is monitoring the cramping in the calves, and will talk to her again about the quad pains into the thigh.

THANK YOU everyone for your help.
 
A full round of golf is a lot for only 4 months out - especially when you have been having on going issues. Sure - you can play golf. But you may have the discomfort while you are rebuilding those muscles.

Please let us know what the GP says.
 
Natalie - your post says it all. You are only 4 months out from your TKR. It's all post-op pain and muscles being asked to do new things. Especially if you played golf! New movements and walking uneven surfaces.

Are you taking your pain meds? Icing? You will continue to experience pain until you get it under control.

Take care!
The golf actually did not cause any more pain, might in fact have loosened up some things.
I had no more pain from golfing than any other time, aside from the fact that I golfed, the pain in the thigh is strange...
No one has mentioned anything like it in all the things I have read from everyone on bonesmart. I guess I will have to live with the pain coming from the quad muscles.

I am taking a celebrex 200 mg in the morning, and take a tylenol extra strength every 3 hours, bedtime I take 2, not exceeding the 4000 mg a day.

I will mention to the PT person I am seeing now about pressure points/counter pressure points...

I am in contact with the GP, she is monitoring the cramping in the calves, and will talk to her again about the quad pains into the thigh.

THANK YOU everyone for your help.
 
Doing stretching exercises... still quads that are not strong enough, PT says is causing my pain up the thigh... diligently doing them, at home on non PT days...
Stay tuned,
 
I thought I would post that I seem to be getting better, still have quad issues, but doing some strength training, one exercise is to get up out of a chair, then she will lower the chair, I am having trouble getting out of car and lower seating areas .. so she wants to strengthen the quads.
I am doing leg raises from a sitting position, raise the leg, hold for 4 and lower, doing 20 of them 2x.
I need to start riding the recumbant again.... I stayed away from all exercises while I was in so much pain from the other PT person... who I no longer go to.
I ordered some new sneakers, so that will help to.
Still have pain at 7:30 (if knee were a clock), I am putting IBULEVE on it, you guys in the UK can buy it over the counter, someone gave me some, it's GREAT... who wants to mail me some???
 
Has anyone used IBULEVE 10% Maximum strength or VOLTAREN GEL 1%? What is difference, other than one contains Ibuprophen, and the other Voltaren.. is one better than another to be used as a topical ointment for pain.
 
I used the Voltaren gel for about a month. I thought it helped, but not for as long as you had to go between applications. It was a little pricey, even with insurance. But if it works then it is worth it.
 
Natalie,

I also used the Voltaren Gel with pretty results, but they are not instant. You need to use it for a few days as directed to notice its effects.
I have also used it on different parts of my body where I have arthritis and it always has worked. To me they sound like they are about the same thing, probably just different manufacturers so they have a different name.
 
Voltaren is diclofenac. Still an NSAID but much more efficient than ibuprofen. Go with what ever works, Natalie. It really doesn't matter.
 
Just called my GP, she is sending me a prescription for Voltaren Gel 1 %, does this come in a generic in England? It does not come in a generic in the USA.

She said that I can use it with the celebrex as it does not enter the blood stream, but she wants me to slow down on the tylenol, I told her that I only use less than or equal to 4000 mg, not to exceed, IN FACT, today I did not take it at all, just the one celebrex this morning, and just applied the IBULEVE to the knee now... so we shall see.. I went over to the gym and rode the bike for 15 minutes...

Thanks for the replies...
 
Still using IBULEVE 10% gel as needed, and now taking celebrex in the afternoon about 2 so that it lasts into the evening, since I only want to take 1 200mg one a day,
been using Tylenol as needed, but have but way back, really don't need it as much with the celebrex.
PT continues 3x a week. IS that too much> seem to feel ok after, and not hurting the next day because of it (like I was with the previous PT who beat me up)...
Weather in Arizona finally turned sunny, we have had tons of rain!! I feel like I am back in the midwest!!
Golfed 18 holes on Saturday, with a cart and handicap flag to drive close to green, it worked, I was a bit sore yesterday (Sunday) but it was ok.
Everyone done with Xmas shopping???
PS... does the VOLTAREN GEL 1% have an ODOR when you put it on? The IBULEVE does not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom