Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

I seem to recall with both hips that there were days during the 2cnd and 3rd month of recovery where I questioned my progress.. then I thought about all that I was doing and able to do and it was reassuring to me.
Maybe that would be the case for you? I still needed a cane but the pain, or rather, discomfort was way less than it was pre op.
I think you are very active and I think it's great that you are, for what it's worth, I think you are doing a very nice job of things!

P.S. I have numerous old fractures..pitifully so. I consider myself a human barometer at times.
 
Last edited:
So I'm not quite sure what happened in last 24 hours but it seems I can walk quite a few steps with no cane. And hip/leg feels much stronger.
Don't want to jinx myself!
But I was very excited with the progress today.
Tuesday ortho appt and my goal was to walk into that appt unaided. Not sure I'll be ready but darn close...fingers crossed I keep feeling strong.
 
Great going! It’s wonderful how that happens.
 
@myglasshalffull That is awesome news! Just take it easy so you don't join the ODIC! Best wishes to you disco dancing soon!
 
Snoopy and Klassy,
It was so weird, I just started walking...been waiting and waiting. I'm still using cane too but just demonstrated my walking ability to my BF, he just came home after watching his Mom all day.
He said, "see, you were all depressed a few days ago and now you are walking w/o cane."
I'll be careful not to overdo, I'm being cautious and like I said still using cane to go outside and up and down stairs. But feels so good!!!
 
It's interesting how this recovery stalls and then all of a sudden we have breakthroughs. This is why it's so hard when people ask the how long questions or feel like they aren't meeting the timeline goals. It sounds like you're aware of the feeling so good you'll set yourself back that happens to us in recovery.
 
Good Evening! :wave:
Just read on Snoopy’s thread that you have an appointment tomorrow.
Wishing you all the best. i hope you have a good week too!
@myglasshalffull
 
Good morning,
Just returned from my ortho visit and everything is healing and bone filling in nicely. She was quite pleased and so was I.
Asked about doing any PT and guess what she said...just walk! I loved the answer. I do a few exercises everyday but her answer made me smile cause I know it's bonesmart philosophy.
I was telling her I tried sleeping on my non surgical side the other night and my left hip hurt when I tried, she said I've developed bursitis on that side, just to use some arthritis cream and see how it feels in a week or two. She said it can be drained if need be but just go with the NSAID arthritis cream for now. I don't really mind back sleeping I have become accustomed to it.
She showed me all my X-rays since I started going back in March, illustrating the bone growth in each one and the small fracture taking care of itself, so it was a good visit and made me feel great.
I don't have to go back for 2 months, she said I could even wait 3 months if I wanted but I made 2 month appointment.
I'm going to see my ankle surgeon next Thursday, I was happy I could get an appointment so soon but when I mentioned my ankle issue to my hip doctor she said definitely get it X-Rayed and checked out to be on safe side.
So very exciting and positive news. I had felt since around last Friday I was turning a corner. I had a bad depressing day last Thursday for whatever reason and did a lot of crying but maybe that's what I needed cause since then my hip has been feeling great.
Still ice and taking Tylenol at bed time but for the most part I can do a lot during day and not feel any effects from the activity.
I think this good news calls for a batch of peanut butter cookies!
 
Wonderful update! All sounds great except for the nagging ankle. Hopefully the bursitis resolves soon. Best wishes for your appointment next Thursday. Let us know how it goes. Enjoy the rest of the week!
@myglasshalffull
 
Fantastic news! I think we both had good visits. The only difference seems to be that my hip really starts complaining when I've done too much and yours doesn't maybe because I am still dealing with a fractured bone that isn't completely healed and yours is a prosthetic with bones growing around it. Definitely cookies! I can pick them up if you send me the address :) Are you still using the cane outside? My PT told me to keep using it until I get stronger so back to it I guess for now. Have a great rest of your day! @myglasshalffull
 
Snoopy,
She said use cane outside on uneven ground otherwise I can toss it. I just ran to grocery store and forgot my cane when I was getting out of the car, then realized what I was doing and grabbed the cane so I guess that's good!
I keep cane next to bed so when I get up at night to use bathroom I have it. The walker was retired to the garage yesterday.
There's nothing wrong with using cane for added assistance and protection.
Her final words..."Don't fall!"
Well yeah, who wants to fall...no one!
 
Today was my ankle ortho appt. Many X-Rays and all good news, none of the hardware has shifted and ankle is in great shape, just a little arthritis on top of the foot but ankle nice and stable.
He went over all my X-Rays with me and even went over hip X-Rays as well so good appt.
Been doing lots of outdoor walking so getting my steps in.
I changed my sheets and used washing machine on my own this week. First time I didn't need help with the process, other than that day to day progress is noticeable, encouraging, and welcome.
 
You are making such great progress! Congrats on being able to retire the walker and set the cane aside when you feel like it.
I just read through your entire story. It’s nice to see how others are recovering and see what pops up for them.
Your doing fantastic and I can’t wait to be more active. Time and patience are lessons we learn in this recovery period.
 
Hi @myglasshalffull . I am late in catching up on Thursday’s update - what brilliant news all round! Such a good doctor’s visit, you must be feeling a lot more confident now.

That first time of changing the sheets and loading the washing machine all by ourselves is a real milestone. You are well on your way to normal now!
 
Klassy,
Yes, Just threw load of wash on this AM and indoors the cane is parked.
My system for getting laundry downstairs (I have raised ranch style house) is to place in trash bag then tie trash bag and fling down the stairs!
It's amazing the little inventions we create to get our chores done.
 
My system is similar - I load up the open plastic laundry basket, and try to toboggan it down the stairs.

I have succeeded once in achieving a perfect landing, which keeps me keen. A couple of times the basket rode gloriously all the way down, but turned turtle at the bottom. Mostly the basket sheds its load and performs a solo gymnastic routine. I then follow the scattered items down the stairs practising my goal kicking.

It is the highlight of laundry day.

Perhaps I need to get out more?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom