Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

I have a quick question and have not seen it asked/discussed. I am long time blood donor. Is it safe to continue to donate after hip surgery??
Blood bank has called numerous times and feel ok to donate but didn't know if I should or not, I'm a little over 5 months post op.
I was at OS other day and forgot to ask, however she did tell me to continue to use antibiotics when having dental work at least for first 2 years. Everyone seems to get a different response.
Thanks.
 
Hi @myglasshalffull I didn't know the answer to this question but a quick google search says you have to wait four months after hip replacement surgery so you should be fine! My husband does it pretty regularly too but I hate needles so much. I try to give back in other ways...
 
Thanks Snoopy, just forgot to ask OS the other day, had a long list of questions for her and she finally just said I could do anything but train for marathon or jump up and down (aerobics).
LOL!
Most I've ever done is 5k and that was a good 20 years ago. My company use to host one every year and Dave McGillvary (Boston marathon organizer), was in charge. We donated the money we raised to The Tomorrow Fund, it's a fund for kids with cancer for the parents to have hotel rooms and other help while their kids are being treated.
Big cookout followed as well as prizes, thank you bag of goodies for participants, mist tent, music, it was a big event, I don't remember how many runners we had but I think around 2,000.
It helped cause Dave running it he brought in some elite runners.
 
I’m a long time plasma donor, twice a week for 7 1/2 years. The plasma center told me I could return at 4 months postop. Sounds the same for whole blood.
 
Just a quick post here, we went to a 50's sock hop at my GF's house yesterday where "Elvis" performed. So much fun and we danced the afternoon away! What an amazing feeling to be dancing.
And as for blood donation. They kept calling me and asking for a donation, I'm a regular donor and in summer blood supplies tend to get low. So David and I always go together, he's donated 92 pints!
Well we went last Thursday and I was rejected for low hemoglobin. Never have been rejected before. And we had a nice big breakfast before we went. I did have yogurt then I read to skip dairy if you are donating cause it can cause your iron to be low.
I'll try again in a few weeks and have a nice steak and spinach before time!
Happy Sunday everyone.
 
Oh, one more thing, an old friend was at the event yesterday with her husband who just found out he needs THR. Doesn't even have OS yet so very beginning, may go into Boston for his surgery.
I recommended bonesmart to him. Told him to sign up as there's a wealth of information. He heard I had THR and asked me a bunch of questions.
So I told him to stay in touch, join bonesmart and see how it all goes.
 
So glad you had a nice night out...a hip-hop!

:yahoo:
I am also a regular blood donor... the best kind of giving!

I did have yogurt then I read to skip dairy if you are donating cause it can cause your iron to be low.
Gee, I wasn't aware of this either...but
Anemia isn't uncommon after a major surgery and a diet including red meat and leafy greens is definitely a good way to raise your hemoglobin.
You might want to work on a more iron rich diet for the next few weeks.
 
Hooray, today is my 6 month post op anniversary.
Once again thanks to everyone for the physical and emotional support, it's been a crazy ride.
I'm researching medical massage therapy right now, I think that will be so helpful, I'll keep you updated once I find a reputable licensed medical massage person.
I'm doing everything I want/need to do but there are times my hip feels tight plus the bursitis seems to come and go.
Stay well and positive everyone.
 
Happy hipaversary! I think you will find your progress will continue for many months. At 6 months out you are only half way through this recovery.

Let us know how the massage works.
 
@myglasshalffull While you're searching for a massage therapist, perhaps ask around about dry needling. When I was doing in-house pt, there was a man who was there at the same time. He had shoulder problems and a therapist placed his needles as he lay on a table next to mine. After the needles were removed he would get up, move his shoulder and arm around and say how much better it felt. I was always impressed because he never flinched as the needles were placed, and seemed to always feel better afterward.
By the way, for a massage therapist, check with some chiropractors' offices. I found a good MT via a friend who was getting adjustments.
Good luck with your search!
 
Thanks Subie. When I did PT for my ankle there was several people that would get acupuncture, not sure what their ailment was but seemed interesting. I have a chiropractor so will ask, I want to be sure they are medically trained.
 
Hi @myglasshalffull ! Congrats on your 6 month anniversary! Mine came and went and I forgot about it LOL but I guess that's a good thing right? I am so glad you are feeling really well. I see you are looking for a massage therapist. I hope you find someone good to give you a great rubdown and get deep in those tight areas. Yesterday I was so sore and tight I had to take a muscle relaxant which I haven't done in a while. I guess I still tend to over do things sometimes:) Have a great day!
 
Snoopy,
Happy 6 month anniversary to you as well! Few days late but well wishes nonetheless!
We have had such a busy August, time is flying.
Good news, I am walking dogs once again!!!
Can't wait to get massage, hoping I find good one, I'm in touch with my insurance, they feel my insurance may cover a few, fingers crossed.
Stay well.
 
Good Monday morning everyone,
At almost 8 months post op don't feel need to give many updates, things are pretty much back to "normal" although still think about hip before I attempt new adventure!
I do follow others posts and give what I hope is uplifting and good advice from my own experiences as well as what I've learned here from all the fellow hippies.
Getting regular massages, turns out I knew the woman, not well but we've been in same social circle time or two, used to work with her husband. She's in a chiropractor's office and is also a PT.
Developed arthritis on top of right foot, went to podiatrist, xray, etc. Advised Voltaren for top of foot, not sure how beneficial it is/was. used for a few days. However, I had been hearing about these Offos shoes and slides so I purchased a pair of the slides. All I can say it's like walking on air and walking seems to be less painful on the arthritic foot. So I went ahead and purchased a pair of the closed in shoes seeing it's getting chilly here.
Can we change my title, obviously haven't just found this site but sure happy I did!
Maybe just "Sandy's recovery thread," pretty basic.
Stay well everyone, I check in here once or twice a day, nice to see so many new hippies beginning their journey, just know we are traveling with you.
 
Hello @myglasshalffull It's so good to hear that things are pretty much back to normal.

The Oofos are a Korean brand I think? They do look comfy and I hope they help walking with your arthritis. I have developed some plantar fasciitis, and the last time I had this condition, the only thing that provided comfort were a pair of sketchers "rocker soles" shoes, so I will be going to get myself a pair of these soon!

Stay well my online friend!
 
I'm not sure about where Oofos originated but they sure are comfortable. Podiatrist said no bare feet. I love going barefoot!
As far as the plantar fasciitis (and you probably already know this), a frozen water bottle on floor and rock foot forward and back and/or tennis ball helps.
Yes, time is flying by, I think this is the best I've felt since having surgery, let's say most normal, like I can do everything I need and want to do.
Big turkey dinner here Saturday night, 10 guests, it's my daughter in laws birthday and tradition is turkey dinner. Boy what a difficult time I had finding a turkey!!! And very expensive just like everything else.
Stay well, any news on Calico??? I know she was going to be spayed. Hope all worked out.
 
I just ordered my wife some Oofos sandals. I am in the market for some kind of shoes to ease my Plantar Fascitis. I have worn frozen water bottles out! I wear a brace on my foot from the podiatrist and I've gone for 3 treatments of injections in my heel, I don't like it.
 
Eman,
I've only had the slides 3 days now and I absolutely LOVE them.
I had told my podiatrist about ordering them and she said they are a good shoe but no one shoe is best for everyone, but for me they are working out great, I find I walk taller and with more confidence if that makes sense.
 
any news on Calico??? I know she was going to be spayed. Hope all worked out.
Hi @myglasshalffull She's been spayed, but I am told that her kitten is too young. They are still at a foster-home, which I think is a safer place than being in the wild... I hope someone adopts them:fingersx:

Doing the frozen bottle roll, seems to be helping.. Can't help feeling frustrated and feeling that my body seems to be coming apart!! Just hoping to be ok by the time I get on a plane in early November!!

Keep well - how did the turkey dinner go? Hope you didn't over-exert yourself!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom