THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

:hi:

Boy, glad to see the fracture is healing and even though partial weight bearing is frustrating, I hope you will be doing fine when you have your wedding events.

The time it takes to get back to normal takes alot of patience sometimes, but the results will be worth it.

Hope your week is sweet.:flwrysmile:
 
You're absolutely right. If it gets you to the original goal, what's a few more weeks in the scheme of things. It may be somewhat disappointing to not be where you'd thought you'd be, but I can speak to how the extra time is worth the wait and effort. Walkers and canes are just tools to help you get there and like other tools, it will be gratifying to put them away when the project is complete. Blessings for continuing her good healing.
 
Hello @myglasshalffull
Thankfully the fracture is small and healing. You have another month until the wedding and hopefully by then you’ll be feeling stronger and steadier on your feet. You have a healthy attitude and you’re doing it right. Wishing you only the best until we hear from you again. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
 
I'm 10 weeks post op tomorrow and boy, what a difference one week can make on this journey.
I drove my car and went to grocery store on my own, I was euphoric!!!
I'm feeling my hip/leg getting stronger.
I still need help to do a big shopping but I only needed several items so I was able to do that and get the bag into the house and up the stairs.
My better half is gone 3 days a week, two days he watches his Mom (has dementia), gives his sisters a break cause they are her full time caretakers, then on Monday's he babysits his grandson so his daughter can work. So I was happy to be able to drive on my own.
Opens up a whole new world to be able to socialize and go back to the adoption kennel. I won't be walking dogs anytime soon, but I can help there in other ways. The woman who runs the shelter was happy to hear I'll be helping out once again. There's always blankets to be washed, dried and folded as well as dishwasher loaded, unloaded so those are the types of chores I can help with as of now. Plus get some dog kisses!!!
I check here everyday and couldn't be more grateful for a place to come and share our stories both good and not so good.
 
Happy ten weeks anniversary! Ok, a day early but still! You are doing so well and I want to commend your Ortho surgeon for being so thorough and cautious with your recovery. That person is doing right by you.

Isn't it just grand to regain your independence? I can just imagine you driving with a big grin on your face.

So happy for your progress.
 
I drove my car and went to grocery store on my own, I was euphoric!!!
I can relate and it’s a wonderful feeling, myglasshalffull. I had one of those moments about a month post op. The sky was blue, the sun was shining, the trees were green, the birds were chirping and the temperature was perfect. I was walking into the grocery store, minus any pain, no longer limping and felt like ALL was right in the world. Told myself I was going to store that moment in my memory bank and I have. And I don’t even like grocery shopping!
I still need help to do a big shopping but I only needed several items so I was able to do that and get the bag into the house and up the stairs.
But hey….it’s a great start and feeling of independence knowing you can take care of yourself when necessary. You’re doing great! Sounds like you’re really looking forward to getting back to the kennel. Enjoy! :doggie: :dogsniff:
 
Cricket and Layla,
Yes, it's so nice to do stuff on your own, certainly helps with mental outlook as well which is such an important part of recovery.
My GF is having knee replacement May 5th and I told her about this wonderful site and to join both for before and after assistance. Not sure if she did or not but this site has been invaluable to me.
 
Thanks for your kind words in regard to the forum and for sharing BoneSmart with your friend. We appreciate both! Hopefully she comes on board and is able to find the same value in the forum as you did. I know I can’t imagine my recovery without being here and communicating with those who were healing ahead of me and also those going through recovery with me in real time. I took immense comfort in that.
Have a great rest of the day and week!
@myglasshalffull
 
Today is my 11 week post op anniversary and I graduated to the cane!!!
Actually seems easier to move around with the cane vs. walker but we will see. Should I expect any new aches and pains? So far so good.
I'm not putting walker away just yet, I want to keep it in my bedroom for night bathroom visits.
Any advice or experience on graduating from one piece of equipment to another???
As always my best to all of you.
 
Happy Eleven Week Anniversary!
Congrats on graduating to the cane. It’s a wonderful feeling. My best advise is to make sure that in your enthusiasm, you don’t overdo it. I say this from experience. I was so happy to ditch the walker and graduate to the cane that I walked (practiced) a lot initially that first day and spent the next one in my recliner icing. It was short lived, but I definitely overdid it, so proceed with caution. I’m sure you’ll do great. Good for you!:yes!:
@myglasshalffull
 
Quick question. When is it safe to sleep on your side again? I've been back sleeping and actually doing ok with it but every once in awhile I just feel like rolling on my side.
I'll be 3 months post op on 16th of May.
 
If you can, contact your surgeon’s office and ask. Different people seem to have different restrictions on this.

With hip 1, I was fed up with the back position and contacted my OS after only 2 weeks. The response was I could sleep on the non- operated side with a pillow between my legs, or on the operated side. I was delighted, until I tried it, and found both positions very uncomfortable. By 12 weeks, I was sleeping on my non-op side ok but fed up with the pillow. I asked for permission to skip the pillow and was told to wait till 16 weeks.

With Hip 2, same approach (posterior) but different surgeon, there were no restrictions after 6 weeks. After my previous experience, I didn’t bother trying that soon. I’m not sure just when it came, but by 13 weeks (3 months) I was happily sleeping on either side.
 
@myglasshalffull Here's a helpful article written a few years ago by our Nurse Director Emeritus that addresses side sleeping:

 
Today is 12 weeks post op. I'm officially a member of overdid it club!
I've been on cane for a little over one week. Actually doing quite good on it increasing my steps each day and my asymmetry has greatly improved.
Yesterday I was having not pain but just felt like hip was not happy, felt weaker if that makes any sense.
Sunday went to large grocery store and did walking and pushing carriage all through store, repeat on Monday with big box store once again lots of walking and pushing carriage through store. Yesterday dog kennel in AM, Dollar Store and market (small market), then home. By 2-3 PM I was just very stiff so I laid down for an hour, iced etc. Cooked dinner, we ate and I put myself to bed at 7PM and slept like a log.
Today is better but still not as good as I was last week at this time.
I'm getting a little frustrated only cause it will be 3 months on the 16th and I feel I should be walking with no assistance.
I read about so many that are walking w/o assistance in a month or 2-3 weeks after surgery. I was so active prior to my injury walking 2-3 miles per day as well as working in very fast paced environment on my feet 4-6 hours per day, not overweight either.
I'm going to take it easy today, we have dinner plans with friends later and I want to feel energetic! I'll take a nap this afternoon for sure.
 
Welcome to the ODIC! I‘m sorry but we don’t have a lot to offer on the menu here aside from rest as a appetizer, ice for the main course, and more rest for dessert. Each come with a complimentary dose of sympathy. :wink:

Kidding aside…you definitely overdid it. I’m sorry you’re discouraged. I sense your frustration, but you have to keep in mind that you first experienced a physical injury resulting in the controlled trauma of a major surgery. Possibly you are experiencing a slower recovery than some, which is not abnormal. Please remember that each recovery is different, even with the same person. At only three months post op, you are in the midst of a recovery than can last a full year, even longer for some.

I hope you’re able to fit in a lot of rest / icing today and feel better for dinner with friends this evening. Enjoy! :)
@myglasshalffull
 
Yes, thanks Layla, definitely going to take a chill pill today so I can enjoy my evening with friends we haven't seen since we entered the Covid world.
I did go to dog kennel this AM, just folding laundry, emptying dishwasher, putting toys and bones into each shelter after they get cleaned, obviously I'm not doing any cleaning there right now.
Stopped at bakery to get some pastries for later this evening our friends are coming back here for coffee and dessert. A lovely woman recognized my difficulty trying to get everything out to the car and offered to assist, I said "yes, please!" There are still wonderful people left in the world. She even put items in car for me.
We've been busy this week getting ready for the wedding on Saturday so I pushed myself a little too much, but as I write I'm icing.
So for next several hours nothing to do and I'm going to just relax.
I was thinking of that graph you sent me once where we think recovery should be a straight line upwards but it's really a scribble. I'm in scribble mode for sure.
As always thanks for your advice and understanding.
 
Hi @myglasshalffull! I just read through your whole thread. Oh my god. I didn't know you went away on vacation when you were obviously hurt and had to have surgery in the USVI. Lordie. I think you and I are very close on our accident dates as I just also had my three month anniversary on May 11th. I can't believe I got hurt in February and its MAY!!
Anyway thank goodness we are both recovering well. If you read my thread you can see I am also a master of the overdid it club (I went abroad and did it). I just read what you are doing and all the shopping and everything plus the dog kennel! That sounds like alot. I try to just keep it to one activity a day-like coffee with a friend or light shopping (which I hate anyway so I don't do much of and let hubby do it). Do you have a dog of your own to walk as well? Can't imagine...
Anyway ice had been my best friend and if it wasn't for the people on this wonderful site I would never have known. Going out to dinner tonight to a friend's house but very casual so not worried. Tomorrow I may go to the swimming pool and do some light walking and wading in the water. Hope you enjoy your weekend!
 
Thanks Snoopy. Today is wedding day for my partner's son. We are fortunate to have a gorgeous day here cause it's been windy and chilly for so long but cleared late Tuesday and brought in welcome nicer weather. The wedding is outside so happy the Weather Gods are with us.
We are close to dates on surgery, mine was 2/16. I fell late January and was in pain entire trip, looking back now I should have gone to my primary here when the pain didn't calm down after first few days and had more xrays but we had planned this trip with two other couples for over 6 months and that was on my mind. But hindsight is 20/20. My ortho couldn't believe I walked around like that for almost 2 weeks until finally on 4th day of vacation I could not walk at all.
I think that's part of the reason it's taking me longer to walk unassisted, but who knows.
I go back to ortho on 21st of this month and we will see how xrays look then.
I'm doing well on cane and can take several steps in my kitchen with counters to hold onto if needed.
I took it easy yesterday knowing today will be a long day with wedding but all I have to really do is sit and eat and enjoy it.
I do not have a dog of my own, I did have two dogs years ago both have passed away so I get my dog fix volunteering at dog rescue kennel.
Enjoy your weekend and thanks for checking in!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom