THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

Good Morning :wave:
I hope you feel well rested and have a lovely weekend. Enjoy your time at the wedding today.
Happy Saturday! :SUNsmile:
@myglasshalffull
 
Enjoy the wedding! I hope sitting doesn't bother you too much. I get kind of cranky when I sit too long so I have to get up and stretch a bit and then sort of change positions to get comfy. I am most comfortable on my non operative side with a pillow between my legs when I sleep but otherwise I am on my back in bed. We luckily bought an adjustable bed so I can lift my legs and shoulders as I need. It was a great investment.
I love the idea of volunteering at a dog kennel. I just don't like that they are in cages all day long. I think it would break my heart but I am assuming they have a play area to get out and run around with each other sometimes?
Best wishes for a great day for you and your family!
 
Lovely day yesterday for the wedding. Everything went well and weather was perfect.
Snoopy, our dogs aren't in cages, they have very large enclosures where they can stand, walk around, big blankets and toys. We have outdoor run where they spend a good portion of their day. They are also walked on trails in woods and love that.
I also cannot sit in one spot for very long, I still cannot sit comfortably on my living room couch cause it's just too soft. I can lay down on it, but then getting up is another story and not worth getting hurt to pull myself up out of it.
I got up several times yesterday and walked around both for stretching as well as getting my steps in.
Feel good today and don't plan on doing too much.
 
So I do have a question this morning and not sure I've read it here so I will ask.
When do you stop being afraid of your implant. Do you ever wake up one morning and just get on with it or are you always very cognizant of your hip???
I'm trying not to let the hip run the show but I'm not there yet.
I'm more active and doing more but still am so aware of this surgery.
And everyone saying "just don't fall." That's heavy on my mind at times.
Who else feels or have felt this way????
 
Good morning! I can't speak about implants because I don't have one unless you mean pins which I have three of them and I am very aware of them. I sometimes feel as if they are very close to my skin and that's why my hip hurts so much. I hope that when I start PT again that feeling will go away. I'm not that scared of falling but I do watch closely where I step especially outside. I don't use the cane at all in the house just when I go out. Even then I don't love using it because I feel it gives me a funny gate. Did you have a full hip replacement?

Are you talking any pain meds during the day at all? I stopped taking the meds until I go to bed (extra strength tylenol and one mobic) except for last night I had a dinner party to go to and I took two Tylenols at 7:30 because I knew it was going to be a long night of sitting and standing and chatting. I am still also icing sometimes when I am in pain instead of taking pills which works usually. My daughter is home from Europe (she goes to Uni in Edinburgh) so I am happy! I guess I need to start driving again because she wants to do things and she doesn't have her license. I just don't want to over do it again and end up in the you know what club. Today we are just chilling because she is jet lagged and I am tired from being out late last night so its a good day of resting even though its a gorgeous day out.
 
I will never stop being aware that I have implants. I don't think about it every minute of every day but it's something I'm aware of. I do what I want but when I'm climbing a ladder or other things I take a little more caution where I never paid much attention before. Then again I'm older today than I was yesterday and that has a lot to do with what risks I'll take. My avatar is one thing I still do and I pay no attention to my implants when I'm doing it, but I do pay attention to them getting in and out of it.
 
Snoopy,
Enjoy having your daughter home, I take extra strength Tylenol if needed but no pain meds, haven't used them since I came home, maybe first night I was home I took a Vicodin but nothing since.
Eman,
I'm so super aware every time I get up to walk that I have implant in my hip, of course I'm only 3 months into this journey and it is a journey for sure. I have a friend who went through this as well and she says not a day goes by that she doesn't think about her hip. I broke my ankle three years ago and maybe I was same back then. I do know I was extremely cautious of where I was walking and I beat myself up daily for slipping on one stupid patch of ice and breaking my hip. If we could only go back and redo some of our days. I think I get so annoyed with myself because I know what a lengthy and depressing recovery my ankle was and never wanted to be like that again. At least with hip I can walk but not on my own with no cane.
I go back next Tuesday to ortho. I get so frustrated that this is taking so long to just walk freely.
Today is my 3 month anniversary. I thought it would be clear sailing by now but it's not. I feel great and then I feel like ****. I hate it but I'm trying to keep a positive attitude.
Key word here is trying!
Thank goodness we have folks here that we can vent to and that encourage us to keep moving forward.
 
I have a friend who went through this as well and she says not a day goes by that she doesn't think about her hip.
I agree with this. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of my hip either at almost five years post op. However, hours go by without the thought of my hip crossing my mind. I view the moments of thought as a protective awareness not to do anything stupid that may jeopardize the prosthetic.

Happy Three Month Anniversary! Try not to be discouraged, this recovery takes time and you’re not that far into a healing process that can take a full year, even longer for some. I wish you the best for your appointment next Tuesday and hope your surgeon offers you reassurance on your progress. You’re getting there, please be patient with yourself. :)
 
I did have times of forgetting about my left hip when it was about two years old. I caught myself forgetting, if you know what I mean, and was pleasantly surprised. But since having the right hip done, I am aware of it again.

About 10 years ago I slipped on ice and broke my wrist. It took about 2 years to stop hurting- perhaps I am naturally a slow healer - and longer to regain full flexibility. Some years later I was telling a friend how well the break had healed and showing off my full ROM. My husband pointed out that I was demonstrating the wrong wrist! But I became, and remain, extremely cautious around ice. Except in drinks, and ice packs of course.
 
@myglasshalffull I had bilateral hip replacements 10+ years ago. It took me quite a while to forget about having "new" hips but it did happen. These days I rarely think about them ... until I log in here. And the same is true for my "new" shoulders. :heehee:
 
Klassy, my GF fell and broke her wrist back in January, about 2 weeks before I fell and broke my hip. I can't believe the amount of pain she's in with wrist.
I like your ice comment...adult drinks need ice for sure and so does my hip! I keep re-freezing my gel packs and using one now, did dog kennel and groceries, now chilling...in more ways than one!
Hoping to get back out to grab my hanging baskets later but if not today, tomorrow, my guy is working out in the yard so I think I'll go sit out in the sun for awhile. Met a man in grocery store started chatting with me next thing he asks what happened to me and I tell him and he pulls up his shorts to show me his hip scar so of course I shared mine too! LOL! He has to have other one done too and has had knee replacement.
 
LOL, “Come up and see my hip replacement scar”, the chat up line for the mature person!

@myglasshalffull I have been reading your posts about your dog volunteering with envy. Our local dog shelter has been closed to visitors since we moved to this area, because of lockdown. It recently re-opened but they are not taking on volunteers.
 
Klassy, I have to get my "dog fix" otherwise this house will end up with 2-3 new dogs! LOL!
And good thing I didn't take the leap and get a dog cause no walking a dog right now that's for sure.
I'm making old fashioned oatmeal raisin cookies today.
I have to keep busy, hip this AM was so tight, but I did dog kennel and grabbed my hanging baskets today as well.
After cookies are done I think I'll go outside and relax in sun for a bit.
It's so interesting how each day you feel a little different from day before, week before.
It's a daily wake up and see what Ms. Hip wants to do (or not do) today.
Cheers!
 
Went and met a GF for breakfast this AM. Ms. Hip seems to be in a better mood today.
Not sure about anyone else but I have GF's for 30-40 years that I still meet up with a few times per year just to catch up.
Also returned chafing dishes and pans to restaurant that I borrowed to use at the wedding last week. The guys from kitchen came out and grabbed them and brought upstairs. Hugs and kisses and asking when I'll be back to work??? Hmmm...can one be a server/bartender with a cane, I think not.
Lovely day here, my guy working feverishly out in yard, it looks so nice.
So now to Ms. Hip, she was tight this AM, did a few march in place exercises then some toe/heel raises, coffee, ice, and she was good to go. Showered, dressed and out the door by 8:30AM.
When I first came home I walked around my dining table with no cane, just lightly tapping backs of chairs just in case I needed. I have to get my steps in.
See what Ms. Hip feels like doing later.
 
@myglasshalffull wow how lovely! Any dog smooches in your day? Wish there was a dog kennel that did house visits cause I would totally sign up! What's better than having lots of dogs asking you for pets and kisses to help with your recovery?? Oh and cookies:) I have alot of bananas in the freezer that I'm going to make into a chocolate chip banana bread later if I have the energy but right now I am LAAAAZYYYY.
 
Snoopy,
Damp and rainy day here so decided to have day at home so no dog kisses.
My daughter in law coming over tomorrow AM to help me clean shower in bathroom. We have walk in with glass doors and although we keep them squeegied just need her to get bottoms and floor area which of course I cannot do right now. She was a house cleaner for years and loves to clean and she was kind enough to say should would stop by tomorrow. I took window curtain down and washed, washed window and washed rug but won't put that back until cleaning is done.
I'm achy today. Not sure if it's the weather or what but not too many parts of me that don't hurt! I broke my ankle (left) three years ago and hip is on right side so the ankle and hip are battling it out. My ankle that had the surgery (pins, rod, etc) is swollen a bit. I get nervous that it might give out on me but I think that side of my body is taking on more weight than the other. In any case I go to ortho on Tuesday so we will see. Surgeon that did my ankle in same spot so I'm going to make appt and have my ankle X-rayed and try and see that ortho hopefully won't have to wait two months!!!
I laid around a bit today myself, then got up and did my steps was able to go all around dining table with no cane. I just want to walk without cane!!! I'm sure I will need it for outdoors but hoping to get off the darn thing sooner than later.
I know everyone recovers differently but after 3 months I feel I should be doing better with walking freely.
 
@myglasshalffull Having a clean house is sooo nice!
I just ditched the cane a week ago so you’re almost there! I stopped reaching for it so I assumed that must mean it’s time to give it up. I was using it outside mainly as I was okay getting around my house without it. But this week I started walking short distances outside and working on my gait. Very consciously doing heel toe and taking smaller steps and it seems to work.
I’m still icing too and taking Tylenol when I’m achy which depends on the day!
I’m not driving though because getting in and out of a car is uncomfortable still and I know if I start driving I will be pushing myself to do lots of things like grocery shopping and meeting friends. I go to the pool twice a week and my husband drives me.
I’m starting to feel more like myself in general though so light at the end of the tunnel!
 
Hey Snoopy, to make the car more comfortable, try a firm seat cushion from somewhere like Amazon. Look for one that has a little bit of a wedge shape. It will keep you from sinking into bucket seats where butts go lower than thighs/knees, which makes it hard to extricate yourself from the vehicle, not to mention not being great for your back and hip flexors.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom