Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

Thanks for encouraging words. I feel stronger each day, still having light groin pain here and there
I find I can't stay in any one place too long. Sitting on chair or lying flat in bed. Just get so restless.
I'm a side sleeper so not being able to lay on my side is difficult.
I was wondering if I could turn on my good side, I've been using pillow between my legs when I'm in bed.
In any case I go back to ortho next Tuesday to have more xrays to see how healing is progressing.
Because surgery wasn't performed here little to go on, doctor who did surgery did send files to ortho but not xrays.
So one day at a time for now.
OneStep info was excellent, thanks for that
 
I have pulling feeling in hip area today, more towards top part of my rear end to be exact! Difficult to get comfortable, can't sit, stand or lay down for any extended period of time. I'm 3 weeks post op today. It's not pain, just discomfort.
I didn't do anything out of ordinary, my usual day, make coffee, watch news, relax.
I'm thinking part of healing process.
Thanks for listening.
 
Good morning,
Good news at doctor's visit yesterday, implant is settling in and healing in progress!
Doctor wants me to continue using walker even though I feel like I could walk, doesn't want to take chance of me falling and messing things up.
I go back in a month for more Xrays until then I'll begin walking around the house a bit more each day.
I was so nervous about possibility of another surgery, so will continue to be cautious but my doctor said he saw nothing that would make him want to do surgery.
 
What great update! I’m happy for you. I hope the visit and reassurance brought a sigh of relief and you’re able to relax now and enjoy the steady progress you’ll make. Thanks for sharing the great news. Happy One Month Anniversary!
@myglasshalffull
 
I'll be 5 weeks post op on Wednesday On 2 occasions my hip area felt numb, just figured sitting too long in one position, can anyone relate to this? Not painful, just numb but when I touch outside of my skin I can feel it, just an odd sensation, haven't done anything unusual.
 
No worries! We’ve all pretty much experienced that to varying degrees. A little research taught me the following -
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.
Hope this puts your mind at ease.
Have a great day!
@myglasshalffull
 
Layla,
As always you ease my worries! I'm just so ready to get on with my life and I'm aware healing needs to take place.
I need to be patient. Plus I had ankle surgery 3 years ago and still experience numbness some days in that foot, so I should know better.
Thank you!
 
You’re welcome! It such early days at even a month post op. This recovery really can test our patience with all of its odd sensations and ups and downs. I recall during my recovery that it always seemed as soon as I found the answer to one odd sensation, another one cropped up. Maddening for sure! :heehee:

Keep this little drawing in mind because IT IS reality.
Best Wishes always!
[Bonesmart.org] Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)
 
I am 6 wks 5 days post op myglasshalffull.
I can't sit in same place for to long either, feels a bit numb. I have little walk around for few mins and then it feels good again.
 
Great news regarding your follow up and things looking good this far. Stay gentle with that hip and ice lots. Taking a gentle approach and listening to your hip has been the best advice that was given to me. You've got this.
 
Just a comment today. I'm learning how different each day is in recovery.
Some days I have discomfort and other days I feel totally "normal." It certainly is an up and down experience.
Today I went grocery shopping and walked entire grocery store. We shopped earlier in the week at Big Box store and I used the riding cart they have cause those stores are so big.
We are having company this evening for dinner and looking forward to it.
Doing steaks, baked potatoes and a salad so nothing too difficult.
I hope everyone is doing well and just thought I'd offer up a positive note for today!
BTW, I'll be 6 weeks post op this coming Wednesday.
Thanks to all of you for being here and telling your stories, it's certainly comforting.
 
The big box store is the best place to get your walking in. It's flat and I used a shopping cart for a walker. It allowed me to walk slow with good posture and stop when I needed to rest.
 
Hi myglasshalffull
I had a fall similar to yourself and broke my hip, I landed heavily on my knee that shunted the bone up and snapped my hip at the ball joint. I had a dynamic screw inserted and a rod, this was back in September 2020, I did not attend PT until August 2021 because of the pandemic, by this time the quad muscle was quite wasted. I am still experiencing pain and weakness in my knee (collapsing) so I am still walking with a stick when outside, all that the PT says is unfortunately you are a victim of covid and it is going to take time to get back to walking unaided. I myself was very active before this happened, playing badminton, swimming, fell walking, working in a primary school which I have had to resign from and also looking after my grandson so I really do feel frustrated. Hope you are soon back up and running.
 
Hello MGHF :wave:
The ups and downs are normal. Your dinner sounds delish and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the company. Thanks for your cheery post and for being a part of all that makes this forum great. Have a wonderful evening and Sunday! :)
 
Divi
So sorry you are experiencing this, Covid really pushed back many health issues for sure. Many folks could not get treatment for a variety of ailments, very sad.
I have not started PT yet, my doctor still wants me on walker until my next visit which is in two weeks. Some days I feel I could just get up and walk and others I do feel like I need the walker, it's an up and down recovery for sure.
I hope things improve for you sooner than later.
All my best.
 
Today was my 8 week post op ortho appt. Healing is occurring, but she wants me on walker for 4 more weeks then I can transition onto cane. I was hoping things would have been further down the road, but hey, I'm 8 weeks post op!
Because my ortho here didn't do the original surgery and also when they performed first set of X-Rays they found a few things that they wanted to watch. Apparently there's a very small fracture near surgery area. On my first visit they were talking going back and doing more surgery but now that fracture is healing on its own and that is why walker for 4 more weeks.
We have wedding mid May and I was hoping to be off walker, I might be just starting with cane at that point, we will see.
Better to be safe than sorry.
I was so optimistic when the surgery was first completed thinking (foolishly and optimistically) that all would be normal in 6 weeks! NOT!
But I'm doing quite a bit, she still doesn't want me to drive (right hip), but I can cook, make my bed, get dressed, shower and do some light cleaning.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom