Guest viewing is limited

MUA Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<

I'm glad your husband and one son are a good support to you. You need it this early in your recovery. And you need good pain control.

What an interesting and happy side effect of your recovery that your autistic son is expanding his skills!
 
Just when I think I can be about as indignant as I thought I could be, some other situation comes along that makes my current source of irritation pale in comparison. I hope you will indulge me in spending a little time to give some background information that sets the stage. My hospital has a class for joint replacement patients that they like us to take before surgery: what equipment we need when we get home, how to get registered in the hospital on the surgery day, where family members wait,and how they find out about your progress during/after surgery, ordering meals, nutrition, at home nursing and physical therapy care-- all the. Nuts and bolts. I was required to attend on June 27th last month, and my family members were also "strongly encouraged" to attend as well. My husband and two sons all came with me.

I also go to a spine and nerve pain clinic because I have spinal stenosis in my neck and lumbar regions, along with some bulging disks, and other issues that make for some pretty painful days, especially when I'm tired or under a lot of stress . It was through that office that I got spinal injections and also get my Gabapentin Rx for my nerve pain. I was starting to lose my faith in their practice when the doctor told me I would be totally "out" when he took me to the OR to inject me in my spinal cord earlier in June. He lied. I was totally awake, terrified, and asking them when the anesthesia was going to start working. He took that moment in time- while I'm face down on the operating table! with a long needle sticking out of my spine to tell me that he read some research that it's better to not totally sedate patients for this procedure. Different story than what he told me in his office during the consult! They also wanted me to come in on June 27th to follow-up with the PA, who manages my pain medication, gabapentin being one of them. I explained the situation and that I could not miss my class. I could schedule when they asked me to, but it would be cutting it really close to schedule it at that time. I could end up being a few minutes late. They said they'd be fine with that if it was just a few minutes-- after all, it was them who were asking me to change my original appointment because some change in their schedule. Well, the joint prep class started late and ended late. Then the valet took a long time to bring our car. I could tell we would be late for the spine appointment, so as soon as we got our car, I extended the courtesy of calling the spine clinic to tell them we were running late, but we were on our way. The monotone voice at the other end of the phone said, "you have a 10 minute window.if you're later than that then we'll have to reschedule you." Again, I explained my situation, reminded them that I was told it would be ok, and that I had done them a favor by changing my appointment to this date to accommodate them, but they wouldn't budge: I had 10 minutes to get there, and that would be that! We drove as fast as we could and made it to the office building precisely 10 minutes after our scheduled appointment. By the time I limped from the parking lot to the office, I was more than 10 minutes late by about 90 seconds, and without a smile, apology, nothing, they made me reschedule. Note: there were no other patients waiting in the waiting room. I tried to plead my case: an appointment before surgery would be more helpful than after. I had just been informed in my class that riding in a car would be a challenge and should be avoided in the first 2-3 weeks after surgery if possible. They really didn't seem to care, and with dead pan expression said, "you were more than 10 minutes late, you will have to reschedule." Finally, I said, "ok, I guess there's no chance of flexibility here, so I'll reschedule, but if possible can I get the appointment before my surgery on the 11th?" No. nothing available until July 28!. I left upset and disappointed, but I said nothing.

So yesterday I arrived early with my husband 1:08 for a 1:20 appointment . I didn't get taken back to an exam room until 1:21. My PA arrived in the room at 1:31--11 minutes late! The PA started out by criticizing my surgeon for not writing an Rx for the gabapentin himself, then she criticized how much Percocet he'd prescribed for me. I told her that I had called her office multiple times and left messages and voice mails--when anyone actually picked up the phone. I also emailed her, and she never got back to me. I have been desperate for an increase in my gabapentin because of the nerve pain I've experienced in my leg since surgery. She said,"well, of course you'd have nerve pain after surgery in your leg. You have nerve damage from your lumbar spine, which goes down int your legs. You should be experiencing pain" so I asked, "why did no one tell me this before surgery?" She said, " well, if you'd been here on time for your appointment in June I could have told you then." That's when I could have lost it, but I stayed calm. I looked her clear in the face and said, "you turned me away in June because I was 11 minutes late, knowing my situation, and the reason why I was late. Today, You just walked into this room 11 minutes past my scheduled appointment time. You never apologized. You never greeted me or my husband,whom, you've never met beforeYou never responded to any of my phone calls or my email. Clearly your rules have a double standard. If I'm late, I have to reschedule. If you're late, that's my problem and I have to deal with it. Well, she lost her cool and said, " if you don't like it, I recommend you go see a different provider. I get 15 minutes with you. FIFTEEN MINUTES!!! So you can talk about your joint replacement class, the valet who took forever' and your emails and phone calls, or we can talk about your medication. Which would you like? Because if I go over our 15 minutes that throws off my whole day and makes other patents late. I looked at my husband in disbelief. He squeezed my hand and gave me a look like, "don't go off on her." So I said, "I would just like an increase in my gabapentin." She did something on her comouterand said, "fine then. It's done." Then she walked out of the room, no good bye, thank you, have a nice day, nothing, and I overheard her tell the receptionist to schedule my follow up appointment with a different provider. So now I'm in the process of filing a grievance against her. I really didn't need that! But I've got my gabapentin, so hopefully, the nerve pain will start to improve!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am SO sorry you had to go through all that. I guess it is possible that the dr just had a terrible day, but I would not want to see her ever again. There is no reason for her to be so rude, especially to someone in pain.
 
Oh my gosh! I have never, ever heard of someone having to go through the weeks that you have been through. Most Doctors tell you to stay ahead of the pain as it is hard to catch back up if you don't. I know I was panicked at about week 3 coming up to a weekend because I was about to run out of my Tylenol3. My Pharmacist faxed my PCP and got me a new prescription!
I can't imagine why people have these power trips like your PA or your OS. Is their profession not to help relieve their patients? I know changing Doctors will be difficult but she may have done you the biggest favour yet by allowing you to do so!
Thank goodness for your supportive husband and son! And wonderful to hear that your son is reaching potentials that no one imagined he could!
We are all rooting for you here on BS and hope that the worst is finally over!
 
Which would you like?
WOW!!! Myself...I would have likely said "see that window? Go take sky diving lessons without a parachute."

On a more serious approach, you did the right thing. I do want to thank you for putting your horrible experience out there for others to see. Verbal self control is not always my forte, so I need to have some one on one understanding with myself in case I encounter something like you did. I have what I believe to be a chest thumper PA and the last thing I want to do is rock the boat. But if my PA told me indirectly to find another provider, something would be hitting the proverbial fan.

I wish you the best with recovery and hope you get it all sorted out. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this type of stress isn't going to help with moving forward. Still SMH over what you had to endure
 
I think this PA and office management needs to reported to the supervising physician who may not be aware of what a messed up situation this office has.

First of all, by the most generous interpretation, the office staff don't communicate with each other if one is assuring you a few minutes late under the circumstances is fine but another won't abide by that agreement. You even phoned them to say you were on your way. :( I understand if they have a problem with people being late that you have to draw the line somewhere, but this was a special case.

Second, the disrespect and lack of professionalism the PA showed is unacceptable. It sounds like you were trying to remain calm and simply explaining why you missed the previous appointment and she got defensive and hostile.

Is there another spine/pain clinic your insurance will accept?

And really, these providers should be coordinating with each other.
 
So glad your DH was with you! You might need him as back up person when you write up your grievance. Good to read you got your meds.

It won't help you if I write BeenThereDoneThat, will it.? But there are people in patient care who simply should not be, all over the world. Here they say they think they are "Gods in White Coats" when they act snobbish and arrogant and start using Latin terms to show off and put patients down. You have my sympathy.
 
Im so sorry this terrible stuff is still happening in california pain meds are taboo its so bad. Bad people make it hard for good people. Your a strong person you make correct choices soon you will be over the rainbow i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers take care and have a blessed nig:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

 
Thanks to all for your kind remarks and shared indignation and anger on my behalf. I'm really grateful for your support in this and all other annoyances that have befallen me in the past few weeks. It means a lot. I am turning in a grievance against this practitioner, as well as the practice in general which my insurance contracts out to. I'm not done with them. The pen is mightier than the sword,and although that woman deserved to get clobbered by me yesterday, I will use my pen to ensure Karma comes back to teach her a lesson or two.

Now to a couple of other subjects: I value and respect all of your input and suggestions as collectively, you are a wealth of knowledge. First Poop Fairy made an appearance today, for only the 3Rd time since surgery on July 11th, and it was brutal like before. It started with me vomiting out of the clear blue sky. Then I felt *off* for a while, and drifted off back to sleep for about 40 minutes. When I woke up, Poop Fairy gave very little time for me to make it to the toilet, and once there, I felt like the flood gates of Niagara Falls had been opened up! I guess Poop Fairy brought her friends for the party as well! I felt awful: sick to my stomach, sweaty, cramps, shakes, very unwell. Even though I was *done* for the time being, I could tell that Poop Fairy and her posse were not not done with me. Within less than half an hour, they returned for the after party,and made me feel quite ill all over again. I felt ill for the rest of the day: stomach cramps, mild fever:99.4, General malaise, no energy. I slept almost the whole day. I have also developed a new pain-- right in the new joint area, which comes and goes with sharp jabs. I feel very unwell overall today. Is this normal?

On a happier note: my kitty, Patches, ate for the first time since Monday. I've been keeping her alive with subQ IV fluids and high cal/nutritional paste for cats with no appetite. She's enjoying getting to sleep in a cozy bed in the guest bathroom (as she's a neighbor's cat who was abandoned a couple of years ago) . We let her and the other cats from that household sleep in our shed and garage as a general rule , but she's graduated up to the bathroom and thinks she's living the life of Riley! I've also found a home for her and her bonded sister. Thanks again for all your support.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi. Good to read about your cat.
Not so good regarding your tummy troubles.
I would rather say you had a case of food poisoning since you vomited first.
So my advice to you is drink plenty of fluids, cut back on solid foods...Perhaps try some chicken soup á la Jewish mama's recipe.
The sharp jabs are called zingers on this forum...if they come and go. Likely it's the cut nerves now reconnecting.
(That's what my distant orthopedist relative said some weeks back.)
 
Whew! Ruby, I can see why so many people are leaving California if that's what the medical care is like. People don't get knee replacements just to get drugs!

Congrats on luring the Poop Fairy, too bad she brought a gang of thugs...

And hooray for the kitty! Maybe this is a sign that things are looking up :console2:
 
cut back on solid foods...Perhaps try some chicken soup á la Jewish mama's recipe.
The sharp jabs are called zingers on this forum...if they come and go. Likely it's the cut nerves now reconnecting)[/QUOTE

Thanks @VW54 -- chicken soup a la Jewish mama's recipe sounds like a perfect idea--should have thought of it myself, as I am a Jewish mama. Trouble is, I can't get in the kitchen and stand for the length of time
It would take me to make, and with all of his amazing talents and attentiveness, my husband is a terrible cook! (Don't tell him I said that,?he thinks lies good) I'm not sure if he could even pull off a package of Mannichewitz without creating a disaster! That said, I could put out a plea to all of my Jewish friends and probably find someone more than than willing to bring a Pot of freshly made soup dir me. That would be divine!
As for the cut nerves reconnecting--that makes perfect sent. Previous experiences--orthopedic surgery on my hand/wrist and bilateral mastectomies-would indicate that these "zingers " can last for months! Oy gevalt!
 
Whew! Ruby, I can see why so many people are leaving California if that's what the medical care is like. People don't get knee replacements just to get drugs!

Congrats on luring the Poop Fairy, too bad she brought a gang of thugs...

And hooray for the kitty! Maybe this is a sign that things are looking up :console2:
Thanks @rubyyarn . I can say that the care I received in the hospital was stellar, and I've had a lot of great medical experiences here in California. But with retirement in the not too distant future for both my husband and me, leaving California is very likely to happen for us. For one thing, we want a state where there are lower or no state taxes . We've looked around and found that there are many states where we could buy two houses for the cost
Of what our one house is worth. But most definitely what is most important is that wherever we go there must be excellent services available for our autistic and cognitively delayed adult son--not just now, but after we're gone as well. Lots to consider , but the bottom line is that it's just too expensive to live here for too much longer:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is Patches still getting better? Great news on the poop fairy visit, but boy, did she have to be so rough with you?! How are you feeling now?
 
Thanks for asking @sistersinhim I wish I knew how to post pictures of how beautiful she's looking now. If it works, Patches is the Calico and Sadie is the tabby/white longhair. Her bonded sister, not litter mate, was so happy to see her today for the first time in a week. I am so glad also that I have found a loving home for both of them to go together. Her new family will take them after they sell the house they're living in and move into the one they're renting out. Their current house had a coyote come in the back yard and snatch up their cat right in front of them, so they don't want to bring any cats back there.

[Bonesmart.org] Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<


On another note: I will be precisely 3 weeks post-op tomorrow, and I still feel lots of pain unless I max out on pain pills, then I'm in an complete fog when awake, or asleep. I can go days on end practically sleeping and nothing else. I have a new pain along the incision area and deeper in the joint area that is a shooting sharp pain that comes and goes. It woke me up crying out at least four times last night. I would have hoped that I would be turning a corner by now.

PT came today and moved my leg in ways that hurt me lots. He says my quad muscle on my surgery side is too weak. No duh! I've been complaining about muscle pain and weakness for the past five years, why would it be any stronger now that someone severed right through it, plus other parts of my leg? I'm in pain and frustrated, and scared that at this rate I will not be ready to return to work in 9 weeks.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017
 
awww those are two beautiful kitties ~ good job nurturing them and finding them a new home. i just read of your experience with your now ex-surgeon ~ that is appalling behaviour, so unprofessional. sometimes these things happen for a reason and you may just find a better surgeon, more understanding. was it diarrhea you had and were you taking anti-constipation meds? i know how awful the diarrhea is, leaving one feeling so weak and unwell. hope you can get that chicken soup. i love making it but it is a lot of standing once it's been boiled for a few hours, then you have to drain it and take the meat off the bones, etc. hope one of your friends can make some for you. try to take it easy between pt appointments.:mooncat:
 
You could never tell that Patches had been sick. You worked wonders with her! Great job, mom! And great job finding the two of them a loving home in the future! Both kitties are beautiful.

PT should never hurt. They should never even touch your leg at all. Please take total control of what happens to that knee of yours. Pain and aggressive exercise sets your recovery back. It sounds like you need to find a different PT. Remember that many of us never took PT and we still turned out fine. And we did it without the agony and stress of over zealous PT!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom