Guest viewing is limited

MUA Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<

isn't it just wonderful Ruby ~ feels like a warm hug, with a cold ice pack on top lol! i wish i had mine from the beginning. enjoy and take it easy until the pain subsides.
 
Seems like each day's has its ups and downs. Yesterday was ok, but last night was just terrible! No amount of pain meds, sleeping position, ice, massage,nothing, could bring me enough comfort to get any sleep. By 5:00, I got up, having given up on trying to sleep. Fed my cats and made my coffee.,took meds, then felt super nauseous. Should have eaten a couple of crackers first. Couldn't even drink my coffee! Fell asleep on the recliner,and didn't not stir again until 3:00 pm! I basically lost yet another day! I ate a peach before taking meds, then fell asleep again until my mother called.,I just feel so sapped of energy and I'm not even doing anything! My body aches--back, especially, and my thigh and calf on the surgery side. I am just so done with this pain! When does it end? I'm about to lose it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, Ruby, sorry to hear about your rough night. I always have crackers handy at my bedside, my kids even know the drill. It's a big shift since th last year wanting to shed some pounds before my BTKR, I never ate them!
It will get better, this too shall pass, it will get better, it really will !
And you can always vent here.
 
Thanks, @nensi, I had a much better night last night, and here's why I think why: I took 2 Norcos instead of 1 every four hours, along with 1/2 a Diazapam. I need 2 at night because for some reason I hurt more at night. Why does my OS not get this? I'm not a narcotic junkie, I'm a postoperative knee replacement patient, and that hurts! I did wake up a couple of times, but that was because it was almost 4 hours since the last dose or medication, and the pain was coming back. I needed the ice machine on me and some more meds. I was able to sleep again, with no problem. Having slept well, my husband slept better too, and now we're all in better moods. My pain level so far today has been between a 1-3/4, which is tolerable. Hoping and praying to stay on this positive trajectory. Thanks for all your support.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
didn't not stir again until 3:00 pm! I basically lost yet another day!
That's what we call 'recovery'! Don't look at it as days lost but another day passed in your recovery. And to be honest, when you have pain, that's the very best way to spend a day anyway!
I just feel so sapped of energy and I'm not even doing anything!
Please go back to post #3 of this thread and reread the recovery articles. Especially the one about the Energy Drain!
 
Glad to hear you had a good night Ruby!!! Getting a decent amount of sleep with mostly well-managed pain makes all the difference. You're coming on four weeks - hopefully getting to the place where the worst is behind you in terms of pain.
 
It seems that I am finally getting into a healing routine that works for me. It has been 4 weeks to the day since my surgery, and I think I'm finally starting to figure it all out. Also, my husband is back to work full time, so I'm getting a little less help. So when I finally wake up in the morning, I get myself up and use the restroom. Then I use my Walker to go to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee,or maybe some breakfast if I feel like eating. Coffee is made in a travel cup so I lllcan get back to the bedroom without spilling. My son carries my breakfast for me. I have a few bites to eat, then get my meds. I write down every medication or vitamin/supplement I take and the date/time as well. This has been very important because it's easy to forget if I've taken something or not, I then pick up my bedroom and tidy around. I take a shower, get dressed, then do a few of my exercises. I then put feet up on my recliner and put the ice machine on for a while.,yesterday I had visits from the acupuncturist and reiki master. Today, it was PT. After those visits, I have a light lunch--fruit, cheese, crackers, raw carrot of broccoli, then take midday meds, ice some more, and take a nap until I wake up--usually at least 3 hours. The rest of day is more exercises, watching TV, reading this forum or other social media, or my book, then dinner,exercises, shower, more meds, and bed.,I sleep in the recliner in our bedroom so that my husband can sleep without being disturbed by name. It's now all starting to work out. Thanks goodness for that,


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So it's 1:45 am and I'm having a not so great night. Pain in my ankle when I almost fell the other evening has increased and is actually more painful than the pain associated with the tkr. I've been sleeping on the recliner in our bedroom for the past few nights so as not to disturb my husband, but even this night I've been tossing, turning, massaging, applying topical painnhrls!", knocking stuff off my bedside table including my eye glasses,and then having to pick things up. So i just made the decision sleep in the guest room so he at least can function tomorrow. Oy! What I wouldn't do for a full night's sleep!
 
Sleep seems to be the bugbear that mauls us all. Part of it is the painkillers. Part of it is the pain and discomfort and just simply not being able to indulge in our usual sleep routines. It does get better, but not nearly soon enough. As you get more mobile and do more for yourself, you'll find that you'll cut down, sooner or later, on daily naps. Then you'll eventually start having longer spells of nighttime sleep. And one of these days... you'll sleep through the night. Or at least most of the night. I still end up having to get up once on most nights, mostly because I drink lots more during the day than I used to. :heehee:
 
Dear Ruby...since you are now in the guest room, could you would you like to try something that a few of us have tried: meditation music via youtube or search for 174hz tapes which according to some clinics ( eye, skin) is used to alleviate pain.
There are sp many available, some are guided sleep inducing meditations , some just music or ambient sounds. I had my smart phone loading and ran the tape left phone on bedside table. Didn't use headphones or earplugs. I still use this method but less often. It also helps quell snoring husband. :heehee:
 
Have you been icing your ankle?
 
@VW54, yes, I will definitely return to mediation. Good idea with my being in the guest room. I also get acupuncture and reiki, both take me to that meditative state, which is so helpful. Thanks for the idea.

@kneeper, yes, I do ice my ankle. It helps, but will take time. I saw my OS today and he looked at it and said it is a sprain.

On another note: saw my OS for my first post-op today. Yesterday was my 4 week mark since surgery.All bandages were removed, and I had new X-rays. He was super-pleased with my progress, especially because he had been told a lot of baloney by my different PTs---like when I told the PT he couldn't touch my knee and push it in ways that hurt. My OS told me he was honestly concerned by the reports he'd received, but the reports he'd received did not match in anyway the person who was presented in front of him this morning. He said my scar and X-rays look beautiful. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I left feeling so positive, and asked my doctor that in future, if he gets a report from another medical practitioner about me that is negative to please call me and ask me for my perception of what happened before he draws a conclusion about me. He said he would. After that morning appointment, I was exhausted and slept,most,of the rest of the day. Crazy how much I sleep!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Happy to hear you are doing well, and that the PT has been called out on their reports.
The sense of relief you had at your OS office must have contributed to you exhaustion, hope you got a good sleep.
 
members pic.jpg
members pict.jpg
what a difference a day makes - picture from yesterday right after bandages were removed, compared to this morning, just 24 hours later. Such an improvement already.

LTKR on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]
 
Today, I tried getting into the driver's seat of my car with PT 's help. I don't know if I'm ready to drive yet though., should probably be narcotic-free. I also practiced walking with a cane. Lots of milestones made night time sleep is still a challenge for me and my energy is so limited. I feel like a wimp. Healing takes everything out of me and leaves nothing of me left over for anything else. This is exhausting!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you got a great report from OS. Your scar looks great! This surgery sure zaps you though, doesn't it. I had PT this afternoon and on the way home I told my husband to stop at grocery store to get a few things. I decided to go in with him and use the cart for a walker. I was so pooped when we finished! Felt like I had the flu!
 
Awwww, Ruby it IS exhausting! And the best thing you can do is give it free reign and nap when your body tells you that is what it needs. There is absolutely no " pushing through" this recovery. Believe me. This is my second.
But also believe me when I say, IT WILL GET BETTER! Tie a knot in the end of that rope and hang on...in the long run, it IS worth it! And you WILL sleep all night again! Even though I know all of this, I still get frustrated ( and I'm sleeping!) :friends:

Your scar looks great! As far as driving, yes, you do need to be off narcotics. My OS says, what IF you hit someone? He says, do NOT drive until you can demonstrate ( in an empty parking lot) that you can slam on the brakes!
 
Thanks for sharing your scar photos - it looks amazing! Seeing that (which looks way better than mine!) makes me realize that I have a deep seeded fear of the whole thing popping open. Yours looks so nice and solid - you don't have to worry that a heel slide will pop it! I do realize that our incisions are really sewn up tightly, even on the inside, so it's an irrational fear.

Pay attention to every tiny little bit of improvement and pat yourself on the back each and every time you notice that something is better. I'm thinking about driving - but I'm still a bit chicken to go for it. I haven't even walked down the sidewalk yet. Sleep tight tonight!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom