Guest viewing is limited

MUA Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<

I know you hate confrontation, Ruby, but you have to take control of your own recovery. It's just not acceptable to have to put up with unrelieved pain and all these different home care PTs.

Keep phoning your surgeon's rooms until you get some more pain relief. You are paying this guy big bucks (either up front or through your insurance) and it is his duty to look after you properly. Have you tried phoning your own doctor/PCP?
Enlist your husband's help. He needs to step up and help you with this and often (sad to say) people will listen to a man when they ignore a woman.
 
I would summarize all these posts from TKR patients this way: it makes us sick to know of someone suffering in pain as you are! You need help to get on top of the pain. Once you get it under control, it's a bit easier to manage from there. I think you're in a vulnerable position and that makes it hard to advocate for yourself. I agree with Celle that your husband could twist some arms on your behalf. I sure hope you get some good relief soon!
 
Sweet @Happydale , it's was a long couple of days, but I'm still ticking over. I'll respond properly tomorrow. Thanks for your concern. I hope you're doing well too.
 
Dear ruby, any response is a "proper" one - sends is a sign of life from you ! This is a note from me during morning CPM time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ruby, we are here for you. If you need to cry, we'll cry with you. If you need to vent, we're here for that, too.
 
Dear Friends, I apologize for not being present for the past few days. It's been just one thing after another, and not all knee related. Some of you may know that I work with animal rescue, cats especially. My son and I volunteer at the County Animal Shelter. He is 22 years old, autistic and developmentally delayed, but among his many gifts and skills, he is a natural cat whisperer. I might add that since I had my knee surgery, he has really stepped up his game at home-does laundry, dishes, prepares simple meals, feeds the animals, cleans kitty litter boxes, vacuums, cleans bathrooms--does pretty much anything needed,and if he doesn't understand how to do a task,he asks for help, learns it, and adds that task to his repertoire of things he can do as well. But he has to be asked to do everything. Between him and my husband, I have survived the first two awful weeks after my TKR in relative luxury. I also have a 17 Year old son, academically and musically brilliant. But not at all motivated to help around the house. He's a great kid, just passed his AP Calculus and English tests, and scored in the 96th percentile in his SAT, but he's as disorganized as all get out, and could not navigate his way out of a paper bag. His room? OMG! Truly a mine field, too dangerous for me to go in there with my Walker, and I wouldn't even think about going in there without taking a gun and a shovel with me! Plays the clarinet in his school's marching band, and even though he's only just about to enter his senior year in high school, he just completed an advanced piano class at our local community college. I share all of this because my being laid up has definitely changed the dynamics in my household. My family has started to notice that with my being unable to do a lot of the things normally I do, the house doesn't run itself and the animals don't take care of themselves. Clean laundry doesn't miraculously show up in one's bedroom, and Dinner doesn't magically arrive at the table, ready to be eaten. Last week, while I was still in the hospital, my husband's was driving home from our place of I worship,when his car broke down in a shady part out town, at 10:30 at night, with our youngest son with him. I wasn't there to go pick them up while we waited for AAA to arrive. This was not a cheap fix $$$ spent to repair this issue that this car has had before.The flowers in our garden aren't getting watered daily because that's something I always did because my husband never got around to fixing the drip sprinkler, so now everything's turning brown. Three days ago, a cat that actually belongs to a neighbor, but who is completely abandoned and neglected by them, so she, and three other cats from that household sleep at eat at my house-- two in the garage and two in the shed-- took Ill. we couldn't bear to watch her suffer, so we took her to the vet-- more $$$. She needs IV fluids, and I'm the only one who knows how to do it, so I'm hobbling in much pain,to the guest bathroom a few times a day to do that as well. She's not doing well, and I feel that if I were in better health right now I could nurse her the way she needs me to, but I don't have the strength.Andthen there was the issue with getting refills of pain meds, and doctors not returning phone calls. I finally got the Rx, but my OS made sure that he emailed me that I needed to to start backing off because he didn't want me to get addicted. Honestly, if i was going to get addicted to narcotics it would have happened years a ago with any of the other surgeries I've had. The poop fairy has only been to visit twice since my surgery,even though I take dulcolax, miralax,and Prunes every day. So my stomach is uncomfortable. I had staples removed two days ago, and that hurt so much I nearly threw up. I still haven't received an increase in gabapentin, but I see that doctor in person tomorrow. Hence, the nerve pain is still intense. I cannot get a good nights sleep, neither can my husband: he sets an alarm so I don't miss my medicine doses, gets up to set my ice machine, turn it off, fetch me water, massage my thighs and calves,etc, etc. We Are sleep deprived. MySIL felt it necessary to send me a text to tell me that she thinks I enjoy the knee pain and probably took my neighbor's cat to the vet to further injure my knee and prolong my injury, which hurt my feelings, so I let her know, and now she's mad at me. I know I am on narcotics and not myself, but I am truly overwhelmed and I think I'm depressed. So that has been my past few days. I apologize for not checking in sooner.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
((Ruby))) - not much to say to all of that so I'll just send a hug and hope things settle down a bit for you over the next week. I can certainly understand you being overwhelmed!!! :yikes:
 
Ruby i to have been so concerned for you. Your family is awesome. You all do so much humane work for the cats you need awards. Sorry your dr is anti pain meds. Your almost to a better day. Hang in there. Your so close i could hug yoy. Ill keep in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up. Take care and have a blessed night.:flwrysmile::friends:
 
So much all at once! I feel sorry for you. I hope you heal soon and well so that you can have a more regular home life. If anything comes of this horrible situation is appreciation from your family for the things you do all the time...and that your autistic son gains skills and confidence doing them. You do what you can anyway. You're a good mom.
 
Oh Ruby, my heart goes out to you. You have so much to deal with above and beyond your knee. I hope your beleaguered family can step up for just another week or so, after which you should be much more able to fend for yourself. I hope the poor sick kitty can get better with the care you are able to give. You must come first now. Your recovery matters to so many, people and other forms of life!
 
Ruby, you are a woman after my own heart. I am also a cat rescuer. I've had as many as 13, and that's when I had my tkr. I am down to 9 now. I have one that's 21, and 5 who are teenagers. I know about vet $$$$! I've paid out almost $500 just this past week.

But, being divorced, most of all their care fell on me after my tkr. A dear neighbor, whom has now moved, came in every evening and cleaned out the litter boxes on the screened-in porch for the first week. I have 4 steps down into it without rails, so I couldn't get out there. I was able to clean the 3 in my master bathroom. Having the responsibility of all these kitties got me up and moving. It gave me a reason to get better! It was really, really rough, but I got through it. You will, too. They need you!

I don't know what to suggest about the disappearance of the poop fairy. I took Miralax every meal, along with stool softeners twice a day. This worked for me. I did this every day until I was off of the narcotics.

You are so blessed to have that wonderful son of yours! The family that moved from across the street contains an artistic young man that is the best helper in the world! He wants to help in any way that he can. Your son sounds like a gift from heaven. You are so blessed to have been given him!
 
Your talking about your son made my heart sing as I have a 16yr autistic, cognitively delayed son who has also stepped up. (Outside of his occasional meltdowns). I'm glad your family is there for you.

Your dr is being awful about the addiction. You need pain control. I just now, at 4w went to narcotics only at night and tylenol during the day. You aren't a wuss. This **** hurts!

I hope you can turn a corner soon. So much love to you.
 
You ladies are complete strangers, and yet I share with you worries that I don't even share with my husband-who BTW, gets Husband of the Year Award for being absolutely awesome! He is patient, dedicated, considerate, does not show frustration or irritation if my waking him up for ice, massage, medicine, or whatever I need 20 times a night is wrecking his sleep, and he is kind and gentle is actions and words - but he has not had a joint replacement and doesn't understand what all of you understand as far as the intensity of pain, the debilitating feeling of helplessness, prolonged constipation, etc, etc. He gets to live it vicariously through me, but it's not the same as being the one going through it. Apart from a couple of colds he's been ill once since we were married 24 years ago, and that was When he had a kidney stone 2 years ago. That was his first and only first hand experience with acute pain. But you are all so sweet and empathetic, and I truly appreciate your concern. Angels I never knew I'd need at a time like this! As I text, Bill is massaging my aching thigh. He has already made my coffee, helped me feed the cats, and administer subQ IV fluids and medication to my sick kitty, who I am pleaded to report, seems to be feeling better today. She is still quite sick, and the vet never came up with a Dx but she responded to a long-acting antibiotic shot, which brought her fever down. She still has not eaten or drunk a thing since Monday; hence subQ fluids and high calorie/ nutritional paste smeared on the roof of her mouth a few times a day. And of course I'm being super careful wearing gloves when I deal with her because I have no idea what she's got--if my other cats can catch it, or if I could get infected.
Today, I get a visit from the he home health nurse--another new one, who Called me at 7:30 last night to let me know she'd be be here at 10:00 this morning. I also see the PA who can choose or choose not to up my Gabapentin dosage. I will totally fire her and get my Pcp to find someone else if she declined my request. Anyway, I want to again thank you all for your support . Thanks so much!
 
We are all like family on here, being familiar with what each one is going through. That is so helpful and comforting!
 
Yeah the little kitty is getting better. And ruby your spirits are more hopeful. Your husband does earn hubby of the year. I pray your dr helps with meds. Keep trooping along your rocking this recovery. Take care and have a blessed day.:wave::angel::flwrysmile:
 
I know you hate confrontation, Ruby, but you have to take control of your own recovery. It's just not acceptable to have to put up with unrelieved pain and all these different home care
Enlist your husband's help. He needs to step up and help you with this and often (sad to say) people will listen to a man when they ignore a woman.
Thanks @Celle. Actually, I don't enjoy confrontation. But I'm not afraid of it either. As a principal of a very high needs school, my days can consist of getting cussed out by an angry and threatening parent, reprimanding a teacher for any imaginable or unimaginable act of misconduct, advocating for budget enhancements for my school up against my superiors, making difficult decisions based on the best interests for the majority of my stakeholders, but lacking the legal authority to share my reasons for certain decisions with stakeholders, and therefore having a bunch of people mad at me. And then I'm a mother of a special needs child, who has had to fight my own employer to get his special education needs met. Confrontation sucks,but I've faced it head-on on any number of occasions. After earning 19 years of seniority with my school district, I resigned from my position, took a job with another school district that added 40 minutes to my commute each way, up and down a treacherous highway, and that cost me a $7,000.00 a year cut in pay, so that I could come back to the first district with a team of special education attorneys, and get for my son all the services he deserved and had a right to receive by law. No one ever thought I would put up such high stakes for s kid who didn't appear to show a lot of promise. His many accomplishments (that I won't elaborate on here) far exceeded the expectations of any medical, psychological, or educational "expert" and he was and always will be worth every bit of sacrifice I made for him, both personal and professionally. I came back to my original district after being gone 7 years and after my son graduated from high school. I took on the principalship of my current school, but I lost all 19 my years of seniority and had to start over because I chose to look conflict in the eye and do the right thing for my kid. My husband is actually the more passive one of the two of us, but over the years he has learned to assert himself more. Having a man at a doctor visit usually does elicit a more respectful and satisfying visitthough, and it's not beneath my sense of pride to play the game to achieve my desired outcome, which in this case is a higher dose of Gabapentin. He will be coming with me to my appointment today. We we're ready!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ruby, I wish I could hug you. I'm a fellow cat lover. My sweet kitty is watching over me from the foot of my bed. She follows me to every room and watches over me. They are truly amazing animals. As for the "poop fairy ", my therapist gave me a remedy that works. But you better be prepared! Heat 2 parts prune juice with 1 part apple juice to about same temperature as hot coffee then mix in a dose of Miralax. About 2 hours after drinking this the "poop fairy " arrived with a vengeance!
 
You are no way a wimp! With all you have deal with the last few years, no wonder you'd rather not deal with more at PT. Hopefully with your husband with you, your PT will be easier.
 
Dear Ruby, I read your post about confrontation and fighting to get your son the services he deserved. Well done! I , too, have had to fight for my son. He has schizophrenia, and mental health services are chronically overworked and underfunded. It seems that every time the wind changes, so does his doctor, and we are back to square one with his treatment.

You are coping very well, and looking after a sick cat as well. Just a little longer, and things will get better for you. Your knee is healing and you're more than half way through the first month, which is probably the hardest time.
Don't be too hard on yourself, but speak up for your knee. You're not a wimp!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom