Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks post op. Doing really well with mobility and gaining back some self sufficiency. This is husband's last week to be off with me so I'm trying to take on more responsibilty for daily routine. So far all is good. We are trying to figure out the easiest way for me to keep ice in the machines during the day. He's got both of them elevated so I can reach them easier. We've been freezing blocks of ice in solo cups which we think will be easier to manage than a bag of ice.

PT came today and had good session. Knees really burned after. I went up the first two steps!! Was easier than I expected. Somewhat intimidating as the first two do not have handrails and the first step is a high one. Up two steps to reach the first landing and then went down backwards. On Friday we will try the next 8 steps to the second landing. ROM was measured at 95 in both knees.

INR results have bounced around got up to 2.1 and they had me split me Sunday pill. Back down to 1.8 on Monday. I always have a green vegetable for dinner and they told me to get the same diet as before surgery. So not sure what is causing it to change so much. Sounds like others have had the same issues.

One of the essential oils my step daughter sent was doTerra's Immortelle. It is a blend of frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh, lavender, helichyrsum, and rose oils. It is used topically for anti-aging, and reducing inflammation. I've used it two days on the inside of knees with about 1/2 inch of the incisions and not directly on the incisions. It seems like it could be helping especially with the bruising. Of course I'm still icing 24 x 7. I'll keep with it to see if there more improvement with longer term usage.

I almost forgot - I took a stroll in our backyard yesterday to see some of the gardening projects my husband has been working on. It was nice to be outside and feel the sunshine. Didn't stay out too long as we are having some warm weather here and i was certain if it would have adverse affect on me while on medication. Hope to do again real soon.
 
Great report @rosietosie! I have a feeling you will be fine when your husband goes back to work next week! I used small, frozen water bottles in my ice machine.....just kept swapping them out as they melted. They lasted much longer than ice and were not the least bit messy. Keep up the good work!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks @Lovestoread I will definitely try the frozen water bottles. Those sound like they will be much easier to manage when I'm on my own next week.

Yesterday I woke up feeling aches in both legs from my thighs to my ankles. No specific spot. It took a while for the pain meds to give me relief. I confess I did have a few tears just because I hurt so much and couldn't get comfortable. Maybe I overdid pt? Although I didn't have any swelling afterwards?

I'm stretching my pain meds to every four hours and that is working well for me. Still icing 24x7. We are having hot weather here but I'm covered up with a blanket! Family thinks I'm crazy.

Hoping for a better day today.
 
@rosietosie Sometimes overdoing it doesn't hit until the day after. Exercising works muscles you may not be use to using, this will make them sore.
 
@rosietosie, you say you're stretching your pain meds to four hours and it's working well….but you woke up feeling "achy" and crying because of the pain. Maybe you should stretch those meds out quite so long! Don't be afraid to take them…you have them for a reason!
 
@Rosie
Like I posted eariler, I use the large bags of frozen corn for ice pack. Mt Dr. recommended them and
they are great and last longer than Ice packs.
Stay with your meds, even going back to your original schedule.
Like I said your a brave and proud woman for the BTKR and an insperation to me.
Good luck and God Bless you.
Robert
 
Woo hoo!!! I made it up 10 steps yesterday during PT!!!! That's the halfway mark to get to our 2nd floor and our master bedroom. Even more importantly, to our master bath with a walkin shower!!! It was more intimidating than painful. Going down in the foreward position was a little scarey but totally doable. I doubled up on my next dose of pain meds since I could feel the aches coming on. Slept great last night even was able to roll on my side for a couple of hours. I must be feeling better.....I'm starting to care what the house looks like. I even made up my bed this morning. I did my morning wash up and am waiting until this afternoon to wash my hair. Feeling human again!!!
 
@tiredwife - so far I've restrained from doing anything about it. LoL! My husband keeps kidding me about me vacuuming to which I just laugh and thank him for the joke!
 
Successful first day solo! Although busy with the nurse visit in the AM then PT visit in the PM. Everything was just fine except for the time I didn't take my cell with me to the potty. Of course that is when my husband calls to check up on me. When he couldn't reach me, he called our neighbor who came over to check on me. I'm thankful to have a huxband who cares about me, but let's not panic! I've promised to always have my phone.

Did well with PT. She put 1.5 lb weights on my ankles for my normal exercises. Worked up a sweat. We did not do the stairs again since I was feeling fairly fatigued after the exercises. We are also having a hot spell here in soCal and do not have air conditioning, so the PT didn't want me to get overheated. So will shoot for stairs on Wednesday.

Was able to sleep awhile on my side last night and pretty much slept 4 hours between pain meds. My husband normally goes to bed at 9pm, so going 9 hours on my back becomes uncomfortable. Felt great to be on my side.

I have my reacher/grabber but am now managing to bend at the waist to pick things up from the floor. I get a nice hamstring stretch which feels really good.

I'm wondering how long my knees will feel hot. They are still hot mostly on each side of my knee.

Hope everyone had a successful day.
 
My knee is still warm after 7 weeks. Not as warm as before but noticeably warmer than my other knee.
 
@rosietosie Yes, they will feel warm for some time. I think part of that has to do with healing and part is that your tissues, etc are still tender and inflamed from being abused! Hubby's knee are a pretty normal temperature now, with occasion warmth. It takes time. Be careful with adding weights, if you're are having more pain or swelling because of them then maybe put them off for a while longer. It is up to how your body is responding to them. Keep up the good work, and remember to keep your phone with you!:snork:
 
3 weeks post op: I've successfully made it up the stairs to our 2nd floor. Used one crutch but feel like I was carrying it more than using it for support. So we are looking at maybe moving me back upstairs this weekend. The dr approved me for one more week of at home physical therapy and then I'll transition to out patient pt. I'm doing well with mobility at home and will ditch the walker if i have other support handy. Such as when I'm making thd bed or fixing my lunch. PT has not measured my ROM lately. I feel like i should be better with my extension. Left leg is best. But when i walm, I feel like both legs are bent too much. I'll ask for her to measurs me if she doesn't do it to orrow.

INR results have finally stabilized at 2.3. I've got one week left. Bruising around my knee has now moved down to my shins. Still pretty colorful.

Thankfully I continue to get good sleep between pain med doses. I even slept through my reminder for an hour so that night I had 5 hours of solid sleep. So thankful for that.

I was rereading the Five P's of Knee replacements. Was having a particularly fretful day wishing I could drive to the beach and take a long walk. Obviously patience was wearing thin that day. I began to think about "purpose" and I wrote down my purpose for having knee replacements:
Be able to continue my daily walks with the dog
Do more 5k events
Go to Disney with my grandkids
Learn salsa dancing with my husband
These all make me smile! So the next time I'm down or impatient, I'll pull these out and review them. I've even started researching the salsa dancing so they give me something to do during the day.

Hope everyone had an awesome say!
 
@rosietosie Yes patience is a much needed tool of recovery! I have finally convinced hubby to take the full amount of his short term disability time allowed before going back to work. He wanted to go back in October sometime. But with all the surgeries he has had he always went back too soon and regretted it! I told him a few more weeks won't hurt, and risking hurting one of his knees definitely isn't worth it. It is rough since he hasn't been to work since his first surgery at the end of May. Boredom is a big issue. Sometimes it helps just to have someone take you for a drive to get out of the house for a little while, or just set outside for a while. Hang in there.
 
4 weeks post op - I'm walking with a cane now. I only use the walker first thing in the morning when I am stiff and need a little extra support. I find the basket is helpful to load up my stuff for the migration from bedroom to family room. I've got my pain med stretched to six hours between doses. I was able to take walks down the neighborhood this week with PT. Felt so great to be outside and feeling the sunshine. I've been able to sit out on our front patio and visit with neighbors a couple of times also. The day after both walks i was pretty stiff all day. I've been able to manage taking showers on my own (meaning without my husband sitting nearby in case I need help). I've been able to heat up diiners that were prepared in advance for us. We have wonderful neighbors that have been bringing us meals which we've appreciated so much, especially after my husband went back to work.

Today is my last day on coumidin. Yay! I start out patient pt starting Monday. And my followup visit with OS is next Thursday.

ONe of the ice machines broke down. Pump motor stopped. We couldn't tell if it was the one we already had or if it was the new one. I checked our receipt from the hospital and the lot number on the receipt didn't match either machine. I called DJO explained the situation. They are sending a free replacement machine! I wasn't sure we would need it but with starting op pt next week, i figured I'm going to want ice on both knees as soon as I get home.

I hope to be able to take a short car trip this weekend so we can go to dinner and celebrate our 23rd anniversary. Good excuse to get me out of the house!

Hope everyone is having an awesome day!
Rosemary
 
@rosietosie Sounds like you are doing really well. Happy anniversary! Remember don't let PT push you too hard. Congrats on walking with a cane. Keep up the good work.
 
YOu're making nice progress. :thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom