Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
@rosietosie Hope you are able to stand up today, and hope you can make it to the bathroom and not the bedpan. Used a bedpan once, hated it. Have a great day!
 
That's great that the nurses let you sleep. I had a really difficult time in the hospital. It seems someone different came in every hour for something. Then, each morning at 6 am, they insisted that I get up, get dressed and be in the recliner before the doctor came in for rounds. I did what they wanted, like a good little patient :) That said, the nurses really took great care of me - so I guess I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining. It was hard to get rest though.

My guess is today is the day you will be able to get up, get the catheter out, etc. Make sure to keep up with the meds - but you will do great!! You will be surprised at what you will be able to do. Best wishes for a successful day!!
 
I too hope you will get out the catheter and have a more accommodating nursing staff to help you better.

... I had a really difficult time in the hospital. ... Then, each morning at 6 am, they insisted that I get up, get dressed and be in the recliner before the doctor came in for rounds. I did what they wanted, like a good little patient :) ...

They would have a HARD TIME with me. I am NOT (primarily) a "good patient" :) Not my job!

I even told my nurses that (carefully worded), "I love nurses and doctors but I am NOT a fan of hospitals so hope you'll forgive me if I am not always a good patient and also try to get out of here as quickly as possible."

Can't imagine why *WE* need to be 'dressed' and sitting "in the recliner" -- he can see me just fine over here in the bed. :)

As to 6am, what time is he going to BE here? Wake me a couple of minutes before or let me sleep and RECOVER.

Better yet, just tell the Doc to wake me when he needs me :)
 
@HerbM I hear you. In my pre-op info session they told us that they like people to get dressed each day, etc but they never said anything about doing it at 6 am. Considering that I was woken up at 4 am for blood draw and 5 am for vitals, I was not a happy camper to have to get up at 6 am. But, I just got up, dressed and then went to the recliner and back to sleep. I got the feeling that my dr really didn't care where he saw me - but the techs seemed so concerned that they would look back if I wasn't there, I didn't argue. I can imagine though that it doesn't go over well with all patients :)
 
@rosietosie Welcome to the other side! Hopefully today you can get your catheter out, and more importantly move your bowels. I have to agree with @ljrfrm in that I didn't get much sleep in the hospital either. They also got me up at 6:00 to get washed and dressed. Thankfully I wasn't in the hospital for too long and could nap to my hearts content when I got home.
@HerbM congrats on your decision to do bilateral. It is a little tougher but you can do this, and I know that ljrfrm and I are glad we did.
Somedays are easier than others, but almost every day I see improvement, and can do something a little easier, a little less painful.
Blessings to you rosietosie.
 
@HerbM found your post very interesting I would say food for thought which I mean something to think about
 
Still hanging in here. Yesterday was not a 100% good day. Cath came out. I sat on the edge of the bed, did just fine. Had to have an immobilizer on my right knee because the nerve block was still going. Got up with the walker and scooted to the potty chair. I was lighted headed and nauseous. Sat there for a bit, brushed my teeth and then went back to the bed. Evidently once I got in bed, I passed out for about 10 seconds. When I came to I was sweating and had about 10 people in the room. My blood pressure and oxygen were very low. They gave me one unit of blood. I've been on oxygen since then.

Used the bedpan this morning - what a joy that is! I hope to be able to start doing some walking today. The nerve blocks are gone now. Nurses have been great with the pain meds. I'm on 10 mg of percocet every three hours. The ice machines are going continuously. No bowel movement yet but I'm passing gas which I think is a good thing.

Ace bandages came off yesterday. Had a little drainage from one but that has now stopped. The scars are not as bad as what I thought they would be. Looking forward to watching them heal.

Longing for a shower...with yesterday's ordeal we skipped some of the hygiene routine. Would at least like to have a clean feeling face!

Crow22 and ljmfrm - you both are doing so well. I know that I'm right behind you and the hardest days are going by now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@rosietosie I hope you have a better day I do not like the bedpan, so can imagine how you feel. Hopefully today they will let you clean up, I think we all long for that shower and when you get it you feel like ya died and went to heaven so refreshing. I hope you can get off the oxygen be more yourself. Hope they keep pain under control for you I think you are amazing I could never had done both, and I had decent recovery, You can do this and remember each day you will get a little better
 
It took me almost three weeks before I could take a shower, dry and dress without having to lie down for awhile afterwards because of dizziness - low blood pressure. I'm four and a half weeks out and my blood pressure is still lower than usual. It may take awhile before yours comes back to normal. BTW I had a general, they decided a block was unsuitable since I've had spinal surgery in the past.

Ice - miracle drug!!
 
Glad you are back, and sorry you had so much 'excitement' yesterday.

I was told by the nurse that "gas was good" if you couldn't have a movement. Apparently it means the gut is mobilizing.

From what everyone is telling me you are ALMOST THERE so just soldier on.....you got this!
 
One day at a time. I think you're doing great. The fact that you had such an "exciting" day and are still able to come on here and post coherently shows how strong you are. Once you can wash up (and especially shower) you will feel so much better. Each day brings progress - and what I learned is that you don't always notice the progress. My PT helped me realize to celebrate the small "wins". Obviously, the fact that you were up, walked and ace bandages off are all small steps towards recovery. You are on your way - keep up the great work :)
 
So my new theme song for being on the bedpan is "Just Let It Go".....what would the folks at Disney say!!! There's talk I may go home today. I've got some PT to do if that is true. Haven't really walked and I'm concerned about the steps to get in the house. But it will be good to get home.
 
LOL on the theme song. For stairs, start thinking about which knee is your "good" one. Even though we had both knees done, there is usually one that is a bit better than the other. That one will be your "good" leg for the stairs. I have to say, the stairs weren't as scary as I thought they would be. BUT, it sure wasn't pretty. LOL.

Hang in there, and "Just Let It Go". :)
 
So my new theme song for being on the bedpan is "Just Let It Go".....what would the folks at Disney say!!! There's talk I may go home today. I've got some PT to do if that is true. Haven't really walked and I'm concerned about the steps to get in the house. But it will be good to get home.

That is BIG news.

Don't go until your concerns are answers and YOU are ready, but it is still wonderful news that this is even being considered -- it means you are healing and improving and that's what we all want for you.

It is good to get home (when you're ready.)
 
Hey @rosietosie You go girl! You are doing terrific and remember to just take one day at a time. What @ljrfrm said is 100% true. You will have one leg that even though both were operated on will be you dominate leg. I also longed for a shower, and had to wait 2 weeks until my staples were out, but it was as @madinana said, a small slice of heaven. I agree also with my surgery buddy @ljrfrm, stairs were a little scary but when I actually started to do them, no big deal. The hospital gave me some good instruction on getting up the one step into our house, and also how to get myself into and out of bed. It wasn't until I was home maybe a week and a half that I tackled the 13 steps upstairs, I think ljrfrm was braver than I and scrambled up her stairs no long after she was home. Take heart rosietosie, and stick to the bonesmart mantras....rest, elevate, and ice, ice baby! lol
 
Yay! I walked to the hall and back. Maybe 30 feet round trip. Blood pressure was good, no lightheadedness or nausea. Was not too difficult, just the unsteadiness in the beginning until I got the routine down. I need to remember to breathe and stay upright. It may be too soon to tell but my left knee seems to be my good one which is odd since it was my worst knee before surgery.

This afternoon we will be tackling the stairs. Things are looking up!!!
 
Hi Rosie! Time you had your reading to do!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
@rosietosie Awesome job walking!! My left knee is my better one too........and it was also my worst one before the surgery. Funny how it changes. Keep up the great work! PT had to always remind me also to breathe :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom