Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ljrfrm - WOW, thanks for that! Just knowing that it's possible helps. I did get an answer from my OS's office and it's a non-answer. They decide when you are in hospital whether you go directly to a rehab facility. My OS's patients "generally do go". Right now it's all the unknowns that are getting to me. I like to be in control of my life but I guess I have to give up that idea and soon!
 
@Threads It's interesting how each OS has their own protocol and feelings. My OS was very against going to rehab and says he has very few that do. I was so worried, as I didn't know if I'd be ok at home or not. I was so glad I went directly home - I had my husband for support and did just fine. Obviously, each person is different - so I think the "non-answer" is great. It allows you to see how you are doing, and make a decision once you are at the point of really knowing what you need. It keeps all options open which is great.
 
Thanks again, @ljrfrm I had it in my mind that it would be impossible for me to go up the stairs if I came straight home from the hospital. If that were the case, we would have to rent a bed and DH would have to look after it all on short notice. He's a sweet guy and we've been together for a loooong time but he's not exactly "house" trained - if you know what I mean. I just want everything totally organized before I go it. I know, I have to learn to wing it! Hopefully an old dog can learn new tricks.
 
@Jasminethecat - congrats on 45 years! And good job on going out for a nice dinner. I find that while I'm out and about I'm able to manage ok but once I get home, I'm really wiped out. That must be the energy drain they warn us about plus just getting back our stamina.

@Threads - i let the stairs intimidate me plus my overly cautious husband. The main issue was the first two stairs do have handrails. We waited until I was able to manuver the first two steps. The rest were a non issue once I got ghere.

My husband has just been approved for PT for his back injury. We now have "date mornings" and go to PT together. I'm not sure this is what we had in mind when we talked about growing old together. Lol!
 
@rosietosie - I think I'm building big mountains, where molehills exist. We have railings and two landings on that flight of stairs. I'm sure when I get there, I'll manage. My Greg Kodiak Ice Machine arrived today with the "Y" connector - one more thing to check off my list.

Have "fun" on your date mornings. @ljrfrm is right - you deserve lunch date after.
 
I am now 5 weeks post op. Had my second outpatient pt session today with a different therapist. Seems like I am going to alternate between two different therapists each week. Today's therapist was focused on my extension. We didn't work on bending much. She asked me how well I tolerated pain. I told her my normal response to pain was to throw up (true). She immediately got a lot less aggressive with the knee she was working on. Lol! Still got good stretching and I could feel a real difference when I stood and in my gait.

One of my problems is I've walked around for years with just about every muscle in my lower body clenched. Even my toes in my shoes were clenched. I think with my bad knees and my weight, I was afraid of falling. I was working with a personal trainer a couple of years ago who pointed this out to me. She gave me a couple of techniques to use to unclenched myself. I use them now to help untense myself and had to this morning at PT. I think it's a normal response to be tense when you psychologically think someone is going to hurt you. I like the therapist I had today better than Monday's pt. I'll give her one more try and maybe schedule with just the second therapist.

I had a strange redness on my knees this morning, more red than usual but not a rash. I used Golds medicated lotion next to my incisions to massage the scar tissue yesterday. It has aloe and vitamin E. I'm wondering if I may have had a reaction to the lotion. I will not use again. The redness seems to have gone away some. There's always some redness right around the kneecaps. And my knees get red when I go for walks so I wonder if the activities to get up, get dressed, get to pt caused the redness to flare up. I'm watching closely. No signs of fever. Have appt with OS tomorrow so we will see what he says.

I was able to unload the dishwasher, do some light cleaning in the kitchen and mopped the floor where the dog left muddy pawprints after her morning run in the garden. Was able to go up the stairs carrying my cane (not using it) and alternating lead feet. Coming down is still a slower process due to the bending. Overall, a good day.

@tiredwife - hope all is well in your neck of the woods. Had a message from my daughter letting me know she was safe in the basement of her dormitory while under tornado watch.

@ljrfrm - I do believe there is a Starbucks right around the corner from our pt place. I've been wanting a pumpkin spice latte, now I might have a chance to get one. Good idea!
 
@rosietosie Mmmmm, Pumpkin Spice Latte.......perfect :)

Sounds like you're doing great - my biggest advice though......don't unload the dishwasher again. Once they discover you can do it, it's all downhill from there again. LOL. My son was SO great in helping with the kitchen at the beginning....until he saw me do it once. Now it seems like he's forgotten how to do it again ha!!
 
@rosietosie Sounds like you are doing good! Going down the stairs is hard, once in a while hubby still goes down like a 2 year old. Glad your daughter has a place to go during a storm. We had a storm but the sirens didn't go off. We spent the night in the camper to listen to the rain.
Yes, once hubby shows me he can do things, then he is stuck doing them! [Bonesmart.org] Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27
 
Well, no redness this morning so I'm going to chalk it up to the lotion.

My extension seems a lot better this morning aftef yesterday's pt session. I'm doing my exercises 3x a day. Her goalfor next Monday was for my extension to be where we ended on Wednesday. I hope to have it better. I like those kind of goals.

Ok- I'll take everyone's suggestions to heart and stop doing chores. Maybe I'll stick to the ones my husband and son won't notice...and let them continue with the ones they've been doing.:heehee::heehee:
 
We didn't work on bending much. She asked me how well I tolerated pain. I told her my normal response to pain was to throw up (true). She immediately got a lot less aggressive with the knee she was working on. Lol! Still got good stretching and I could feel a real difference when I stood and in my gait.
Now *that's* a way to get a PT to back off. Maybe we should have everyone say that (true or not). :heehee:
 
Had my first followup appointment with my OS last Thursday. (I'm 5 weeks post op). He is very pleased with my progress. He didn't take any measurements but watched me walk, had me bend and straighten my legs. All good.

He gave me a prescription for Norco 5 mg. directions say take 1 or 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours. I am not very savy about pain meds so I was trying to figure out how to correlate the pain relief the 10 mg of oxycodone was giving me vs Norco. I took 1 norco and felt stiff and a little out of sorts, some nausea. Last night I took two tablets at bed time (10:30) and didn't wake up until 5:30! Best sleep ever! I started the day with two tablets and feel much better than yesterday. I'll just pay attention to when my body (knees) tell me I need more. When I finished up with oxycodone, I was taking one pill every 6 hours. If anyone has guidance on transitioning to norco, I'd love to hear it.

I'm still icing overnight and during the day after I do my pt exercises. I'm also wondering if the icing overnight is still necessary. I'm sleeping now with just one pillow under my legs. I still get a little elevation and more stretch.

OS gave me all clear to drive as long as I'm off meds. My husband is going to give me a check drive this afternoon. I plan to go to my pt appt not on pain meds to see if I'm capable of driving home afterward. OS also said I'm good to be on my own while my husband goes fishing. So the fishing trip is on!

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
@Threads - thanks! It sure takes a lot of patience! On your question about getting into the tub. There's a couple of styles of tub seats. I had a friend of mine stay with us while she was rehabbng with fractured vertebrae and two broken legs. She stayed in the same room I'm in and used the same bathroom so we had some firsthand experience with how to set up the house. For her, we used the tubseat that actually extends beyond the edge of the tub. This allows you to manuver yourself to sit first, scoot into the tub, then pivot your legs into the tub. Our bathroom is kind of tight, if we put the seat at the back of the tub, she had to lift her legs and swing over the toilet. We finally firgured out we could place the tub seat where it fit on top of the toilet, giving lots of space for her legs. This meant she was closer to the faucets and hand nozzle. Just had to deal with the shower curtain since the seat extended beyond the tub. If you have access to an occupational therapist, they could assist in figuring out what would work best for you and actually teach you how to manuver. I had to go to OT training with my friend before they would allow me to bring her home. Was very helpful.
 
@rosietosie - we rented a tub seat from the Red Cross when DH had his hip replacement. It worked well for him but it was one hip. I was trying to think how I would get two new knees swung up and over the side of the tub so I could shower. @PuppyLove has given me a step-by-step way to do it that I've saved on my iPad and can find easily when the time comes. Our bathroom is long and narrow with the toilet behind the tub with a wall inbetween. So, I can't utilize the toilet at all. We do have an attachable grab bar that might help as well.

Thanks for your input. I have an overactive imagination and I should pay more attention to one of the things my Mum used to say - "don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you". :tada:
 
@rosietosie Great report! Norco is a step down. I would start with them 2 pills every 4 hours, and then slowly try stretching it out as long as it is controlling the pain. It is a narcotic, so be careful if you are driving while taking any of it a day. Make sure you haven't had any for at least 6 hours before driving, longer would be better. Sounds like you are doing really good though.
 
6 week post op update: have started my pt dates with my husband although we only stop for lattes once per week. Still alternating between two therapist with the one still inflicting pain. I made my future appointments with the one therapist who doesn't hurt and still gets good results. My extension is 1 and 2, flexion 115 and 113. I finally was able to make a full revolution on the stationary bike. I'm able to go up the stairs alternating lead foot AND the same coming down although a little more slowly. I'm using my cane less, not much inside the house and mostly outside to assist stability on uneven ground.

I'm icing twice a day after I do my exercises or have some level of activity. I did not ice overnight last night to see how I did. No problem and i enjoyed the freedom to move from side to side without being tethered to ice machines. After my daily activity, I have slight swelling on top of my knee on one leg.

I'm able to manage my pain with just Advil during the day. By night, I usually take 2 Norco at bedtime to keep me comfortable for sleeping. I'm not trying to be a hero on not taking the pain meds and will take them if needed.

I'm driving almost on a daily basis to pick my son up from school. Will need to do more next week with my husband being gone on his 9 day fishing trip.

I'm very pleased with my recovery thus far. I know there's plenty more recovery to work through. Each week it just gets better. Realized yesterday that my ability to go upstairs at this point is much better than before surgery. Coming down is almost better...just give me a few days. How awesome it that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom