Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am home, I am home!!! What a glorious day! The shower felt absolutely wonderful. My husband brought me my favorite Bath and Body gel so it was even more enjoyable. Even putting on gym clothes felt great.
Congratulations on your recent trip to the "Other Side"---and from one BTKR alumnus to a new one, I can now send you a DVD of the BTKR "Secret Handshake."

Doesn't it feel great to arrive at home---and that shower, I bet, felt tremendous, too!

Two things about the car ride. I had the car seat as high as possible to help my legs with bending and transfer from the wheelchair. I felt every bump and swerve in the road that caused my legs to move. Not really much I could do to adjust and avoid the pain.
I felt the very same way on my ride home---it was rather painful, and I also felt the braking and the bumps, too!

I'm using the Dosecast app on my phone and tablet to keep track of my meds. I'm managing my pain pretty well. Staying on top of it as recommended by BS.
That ap works quite well, doesn't it? It will be a big help to you, and you are very wise for staying on top of the pain!

Please keep those reports coming! WE look forward to reading more of them!
 
@rosietosie So happy to hear all went well and you are home starting your recovery. I'm sending positive healing vibes down Hwy 101 to you in California from Oregon. Stay strong and I look forward to reading about your experience. That 5K will get closer every day. Sleep well and take care!
 
@rosietosie I will join you in your 5k - what a great goal. I'm sure I can find one near me around the same time frame!
 
2nd full day ay home. Somethings are easier today such as standing from the toilet or recliner. Staying on top of my meds. Still have not had a bowel movement. We're putting milk of magnesia to use now hopefully that will get things moving.

We're pretty much keeping the ice machines going 24 x 7. Is that too much? Last night I couldn't get warm, had 5 blankets on me and was still shivering. We took the ice wraps off at 3 am so I could get some sleep. Woke up for my next dose of meds and went right back to sleep. Probably 5 hours straight which was wonderful. However I woke to hot and angry knees. Took me about 30 mins doing ankle pumps and heel slides before I could even think about getting out of bed.

PT came yesterday. She measured both knees at -15 on extension and 75 on ROM.
Home nurse came today for my finger stick. All was well with her visit.

All in all a pretty good day.
 
@rosietosie It sounds like you are doing really great, and I know you've got to be loving being home. Hang in there it does get easier, for me I think at about the 2nd week. I too would get really cold at night if I had my ice going, so I would start with it and tamale up in a few blankets, than around 2:00am I would take the ice off, as it was pretty done anyway, and could go back to sleep a little warmer!
I used a tea called "smooth move" funny I know, but I got it at our health/organic food store in the tea isle. It really helped in that it made everything go smoothly and didn't give me diarrhea. I would drink a cup at night and the next day...wallah I also try to eat several prunes every day, and now don't need the tea. Hope this helps.
 
@rosietosie Keep icing as much as you can. At night, I would ice until I woke up (usually around 2-3 am) to go to the bathroom - then I would unplug and take a break the rest of the night. The ice always made me very cold also - I'd have to bundle up in the blankets. Keep up the great work - it sounds like you're doing well.
 
I used blankets too. But if you get too cold it's ok to take a break from the ice for a while.
 
@rosietosie I just caught up with your recovery. I'm having BTKR in two weeks and your thread is encouraging! Have you tried warming up a blanket in the dryer to get warm faster? I did that in the morning after I worked night shift and cocooned myself to sleep quickly. I also used a heating bag on my back while I was icing my hip (THR)- it warmed me up and helped my back feel better (I'm a side sleeper). :sleeep:
 
Much better day today. Lifting myself out of the recliner and off the toilet seat now. Able to get out of bed on my own , but hubby yells ar me when i do. Had second pt visit. She added three new exercises but did not measure me today. I'm finally able to sleep more waking up just enough to take my meds. That extra sleep sure helps out as the day moves along. I have started placing a small pillow between the bottom of my foot and the footboard. This keeps my foot flexed and in place. I don't wake up as stiff.

I've been taking a picture of my knees since surgery day, sort of a chronological photo diary of my recovery. It's hard to believe the purple will eventually go away.

Every day is a better day so far!
 
One full week post op. I think i am getting along pretty well. Able to get my own self out of bed and to the bathroom. Able to get off the toilet and out of the recliner much easier. Milk of magnisia did it's job just fine. No longer needing that help. Whenever I stand for any length of time such as when i brush my teeth, follwed by washing my face and hands, i get a little nauseated. I sip on ginger ale and that seems to help. Did more walking today. Before I would just get up when I needed to go to the bathroom. Now I'm getting up every 90 mins to walk the length of the house. Less stiffness on the initial getting up. I did have a sponge bath today. I can't quite get my knees bent enough to get my feet over the tub. We have a permanently mounted riser seat for the toilet and that takes up the space where we would put the tubseat that extends over the tub. It is a pretty small bathroom. I'm not so proud that i won't hose down in the back yard. My main goal is to wash my hair. Been a week now and it's driving me crazy. I'll try washing it in the kitchen before I resort to a hosedown in the back yard.

Anyone tried any essential oils for their recovery and healing? My step daughter sent me about 15 different oils and oil blends but I'm clueless about how to use them. I would be interested in any information if anyone has used them.
 
@rosietosie Would love to hear what someone says about the oils, haven't ever tried them but have been curious. I was lucky that my dr let me shower starting day #3, as long as I covered my knees with seran wrap. You will feel so much better once your hair is washed - and especially after you can shower. Hopefully the kitchen sink will work! Glad you are progressing well..........
 
I guess I overdid myself yesterday. Walked the length of thd house to go potty then walked back to the kitchen for the long awaited shampooing. Then back to the bathroom where my husband placed a high stool so i could give myself a sponge bath. Brushed my teeth. Last thing to do was blow dry my hair. About halfway through i got nauseated and felt like i was going to faint. Made it to the bed and sat for a few minutes. Broke out in sweat. I went ahead a laid down just in case i did pass out. After about 15 minutes it all passed and i was fine. My husband thinks I did too much all at once and having my hands over my heart while drying my hair may have caused my bp to take a dive. We have a bp machine and will start to take it when i get up for my walks.

Not sure if this is related but my INR result was 2.1. Sunday is the first day will be splitting my coumadin.

But my knees are great! Most of the pain I feel now is the tightness around the knees about 30 minutes before my next dose of meds. Walking is fine with a walker and I've started taking the longer path between family room and bedroom. Might even venture outside later for a little sunshine. Swelling has gone down a lot. Still using the ice machines 24x7. Bruising looks horrendous! ! I sent my mom a picture (she had one knee replaced about 6 years ago) and nearly scared her to death! I firgure i could be Mrs Frankenstein for Halloween!

I stood at the botoom of our stairs and counted. 8 steps to the midway landing then 8 more steps. They look a little intimidating!!!

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday! Let's watch some football!!!
 
@rosietosie You are doing great! I had the same issues with dizziness after my first shower - i think that hair drying is definitely part of the culprit. Glad it didn't last too long - but great that you were able to do so much.

My INR seemed to always be at 1.1 - and they were constantly fiddling with dosage. It was a bit frustrating so I'm glad I wasn't on it long-term. The Coumadin definitely adds to the bruising - and it lasts awhile. My OS believed that the Coumadin also impacted my swelling, and fluid/blood on the knee, and I strugged quite a bit with ROM due to excessive swelling. So, it's wonderful that you're able to ice so much - I really think it is helping! You are doing so well...........keep up the great work!!
 
Yes, it sounds to me like you just tried to do too much all at once--next time maybe give yourself a break in between. I just let my hair air dry.
 
Hi @rosietosie sounds like you are doing just great. I use St.Johns wort oil on my knees since I came home from the hospital. Its been used since medieval times for wounds. I really believe it worked wonders on healing my incision. It's also good for calming those nerves that have been so traumatized. I was just given a mixture of St. John's wort, white cedar, and yarrow for pain relief. I used it a couple of times, and it does take away the ache. I still am taking my Norco, but now down to every 8 hours, with Advil in between.
 
You are so inspiring. I know it must be difficult but you have such a positive attitude!
 
@rosietoesie Your recovery is coming along great!! I agree with others that your dedication to icing has made a big difference - it did for me. And I have yo side with @kneeper; let the hair dry on its own!! :-) I also pulled out a ball cap a couple times when it got scary . . .

Carry on - and careful of the overdoing!!


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
. I use St.Johns wort oil on my knees since I came home from the hospital. Its been used since medieval times for wounds. I really believe it worked wonders on healing my incision.

Hi Crow and other forum members
Please make sure the incision is fully healed before using anything on it. We want to keep it as clean and sterile as possible. Once healed, then that's a great time to be massaging it.
Thanks! 1Elisea

@Jamie
 
@rosietosie
Your recovering sounds like it is coming along fine.
Ice is my best friend right now (really frozen large bags 0f corn).
Just keep up the good work and thoughts.
God Bless you,
Robert
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom