Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27
@rosietosie! What a fabulous 6 weeks post op report! You are living proof that recovering from two replacements is not harder than from one. (I tell folks that all the time.)

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@rosietosie can you describe your pain to me (when you feel the need to medicate)? I am trying to cut down a bit on my meds. My problem is that a lot of my pain is tightness and some slight burning (maybe nerves coming back to life?) - not stabbing or throbbing. I have no external swelling. I can just feel it all the time and it gets worse when I start moving, or move too much. I guess I'm trying to differentiate between pain and discomfort. The problem is that before surgery I was always in so much pain that pain is normal for me.

Since I'm just a few weeks behind you, I appreciate all your posts and advice!
 
@PuppyLove - I understand about trying to differentiate between the we pain we have prior to surgery vs post surgery. I find the pain I feel now is mostly an achy pain that increases with activity or as the day progresses. I find advil manages it fine during days without pt. Sometimes after pt, I'll medicate with one Norco if icing doesn't knock down the pain. So achy pain isolated to the knee, for a short answer.

Just recently I've started having a slightly acute pain on my shin below the knee located just at the base of my incision. Just in an area about the size of a quarter. This started on Saturday after I had spent the majority of the day Friday upstairs where we have plush carpeting. I think the carpeting causes instability with my feet and causes my knees to flex differently than when I'm walking on hardwood floors. I've minimized how much I'm upstairs since and that pain has eased off.
 
@PuppyLove - forgot to mention that I also get twitchy, spasm type pain that comes on after activity or in the evening. I can usually massage or ice those away.

My best advice is to listen to your body and try to differentiate the pains you are experiencing. Then decide which you can tolerate without medication yet still maintain your PT and activity level. Also how do you react to the pain? In this order I find these are my reactions: clenching jaw, flicking my big toes (yes, weird but my mother does the same thing), and the ultimate ..throwing up. As I was trying to stretch my meds, I would tolerate the clenching jaw but would medicate when my toes started flinching.

Are you still icing? I just got back from about a 15 minute walk and I've got bags of peas on the knees for a quick cool down before I head upstairs for a shower.
 
@rosietosie my pain now is totally different than my pain before surgery. I don't have a problem differentiating between those two- I guess my problem is figuring out how much pain is too much.

I've been medicating before PT, which I shouldn't have done, b/c I let him push me farther than I should have. Then I have a lot of pain and stiffness for the next day or so. The whole " can you stretch just a little bit further" routine from PT drives me crazy. Yes, I can, but I would not do it on my own, so why stretch so much just to hit 115 (yes, I hit 115 on both knees yesterday, but today I can barely walk).

So.... Do I medicate with the narcotics so I can get through PT, or do I stick with the non-narcotics and progress more slowly through PT at a more manageable level? I realize this is a question that I alone have to answer, but I would appreciate hearing other's experiences. I'll also post this on my thread so I don't hijack yours.

Yes, I'm still icing and elevating a lot. Thanks!
 
Don't take painkillers to get through PT; it just enables you to damage yourself. Your 2nd paragraph says it in so many words, you shouldn't push yourself through pain, either.
 
@PuppyLove - thank you for checking in with me.

I'm now at the 8 weeks mark. Doing well on my ROM - pt measured me at 125 and 127. I'm still having problems getting one knee fully extended. We believe it's because I was so knock-kneed prior to surgery that the muscles all shortened over time. Now the my knees are straight, it really pulls the outer calf and hamstring when I attempt to fullu extend that knee. I'm doing a lot of calf and hamstring stretching throughout the day. Just this weekend I firgured out I could prop my feet up on the coffee table as we are watching TV and get a great stretch that lets me get that knee fully extended.

I had an off week last week where I was really hurting after pt and remained achey the next day. I had myself a little pity party and felt so over all this recovery. I just want to be normal again. Had to revisit the Ps again...especially Patience!

I haven't used my cane in about a week. Just realized that I'm no longer using the handles on the toilet seat, but still using the toilet with the riser. Working towards being able to lift myself up from lower seats so I can use the toilet in our master bath. We do not have a riser on that toilet but I lowered my walker as low as it would go and place it over the toilet to give me handles to help with lowering and lifting. I'm driving on a regular basis and go shopping at our local stores. I passed on making the trip to Costco this weekend. .too many people, too big of a store.

Still having trouble getting comfortable in the bed. I seem to toss and turn for and hour or so until i can finally settle to sleep. Still using the pillow between my knees. I've started using essential oils in a vaporizer and got 6 hours of good sleep. I'm going to continue those, for sure!

And my knees go clicky-clack as I walk. More so when I walk on carpet. Wondering if this is long term as neither my dad, who had two knees replaced nor my mom or mother in law who both had one knee replaced have ever mentioned their knees making noises.
 
@rosietosie Sounds like you're doing great. I've been at that pity party with you :) My knees go clickety-clack too, but alternate which ones and where. It's not just in one place, and often goes away. Glad you found the magic trick for sleep!!!
 
You sound great! I've been at the pity party this weekend. My daughter was sick this weekend and I didn't feel very well either. We got the vaporizer out for her sinus problems. What essential oils are you using? I could really use some help sleeping. I'm still sleeping in my recliner. My knees are noisy, too. I can hear it ( or maybe feel it more?) but the OS said its normal.

Keep up the great work and updates!
 
I had an off week last week where I was really hurting after pt and remained achey the next day.
Could be overdoing things in PT. No pain, remember!
And my knees go clicky-clack as I walk
So did mine, it went away. It's common and will probably do the same for you.
 
@PuppyLove - I am using doterra's Serenity essential oil blend that has lavender, marojam, chamomile, vanilla bean in a diffuser. Instructions say you can apply to bottom of feet as well for a restful sleep. I think I'm going to try that tonight!
 
@PuppyLove - Ours is called green spa diffuser. It's available at Amazon. Goes 7 hrs and shuts off automatically. Very compact and has a glow light as well. You can also get the doterra oils on amazon.
 
I must have missed my 10 week post! Been busy I guess! I am 2 days away from being 13 weeks post op. I "graduated" from PT today with my last visit! Got 130 ROM on one knee and 127 on the other. Still a little swelling over one knee when I've had a lot of activity. I visited one of the personal trainers at my gym and we reviewed the settings on the leg equipment, showed me more exercises with the bosu ball that I can now do at the gym. Plan to stay on the same schedule I followed with PT but just go to the gym instead.

I'm off all prescription pain meds. I was still taking 5 mg of hydro the week at night and finally weaned myself off right before I went back to work. Ibuprofen helps manage the aches when needed.

I went back to work last week full time. Each day I gained a little more stamina. I can remember on Tuesday night, I was ready for bed at 7:30!!! Thankfully, I work from home mostly so I don't have to deal with the preparations of getting dressed and out the door. I make sure I get up every hour and move around. Got the stationary bike in the office, so it's right there as a reminder.

We stored the walker and tubseat and other equipment. Kept the toilet riser in place since it is in the guest room where my Mom will be staying over the holidays. Everything is getting back to normal.

I finally replaced my Fitbit Force with the Fitbit Charge so I'm back to tracking my steps and trips up the stairs. It might be a while before I get back to 10,000 steps per day. I have been able to get in 1.5 mile walks and finally left the sidewalk and walked on our neighborhood trail. I was a little worried about the uneven surface, but I did just fine. I've hit 10 times up the stairs in a day and didn't have any residual knee pain! Yesterday my husband and I went looking at motor homes. I probably climbed up the stairs of 20 RV's. Before surgery, I would have been in pain today and hobbling around. I'm so happy to say I have no knee pain today. That is so awesome!!!

I have problems with getting to sleep. It's mostly finding the right position to go to sleep in. I'm kind of like a dog that has to circle around on it's blanket before it finally settles down. I start on my side, move to my tummy, move to my other side, move to my back and then most of the time go back to the original side. I take melatonin and turn on the essential oils diffuser to help me get to sleep. With my Fitbit, I can see where I'm restless about 10 times each night...usually it was less than three times prior to surgery. Hopefully that will settle down and get back to normal soon.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my recovery and so glad it's gone so well. Still working on stamina and knowing when not to overdo. I do have a tendency to push too hard and do too much. Guess that's what the swelling is about today!
 
@rosietosie Awesome update!! Great ROM and glad you are surviving work. I wish we could work out together at the gym!!! I hit 10,000 steps the other day for the first time (2 miles on treadmill and mattress shopping helped). I haven't gone over 8 stairs yet though, hopefully soon I can hit 10. I think the Fitbit is a great incentive for us to be as active as our knees will let us. BTW, I can't believe you are 13 weeks already. It goes so fast!!
 
Fabulous update!!! I especially liked the story about climbing in and out of motorhomes! Is a new one in your future???
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom