Bilateral TKR Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
More walking today...maybe 50 ft. And I went up and down the practice stairs. It's not exactly like the one to get into the house because of the threshold, but by gosh if I get to go home tomorrow I will find a way to get over the step!! Got to freshen up today which felt so good. Going for a shower tomorrow morning.

@Crow22, @ljrfrm - I did not have TED hose just foot pumpers. Docs in different parts of the country must have different post-op techniques.

@Josephine - thank you for the reading material. I read most before my surgery but am now rereading between naps. :)
 
I wanted to share the relaxation music I've been using. It is from the Images of Wellness Center by Jane Pernotto Erhman. I found it by searching the google store. It has the following tracks:
for pre surgery
the day of and during surgery
Post surgery for recovery and healing
Deep relaxation

I listened to the pre-op track about five days before surgery. Listened to the day of surgery while in the admitting area. I've been listening to the post op track each morning and the deep relaxation before I shut down for the night.

I think it helps me keep my mind and mental attitude in a positive place. Maybe I can avoid the post op blues we've been warned about.
 
Thanks for the Music tip! Sure hope you are able to keep your spirits up (mostly) during your post-op journey.
 
Hi @rosietosie What a cute member name. It sounds like you are doing really well and hoping it just keeps getting better for you. You mentioned that you were expected to get up and dressed at the hospital wonder why they wanted this. I spent my time in the hospital in a nice loose comfortable night gown they gave me and did not have to get dressed till the day I came home. I guess every hospital does it different but hoping they have made you comfortable while you were there. Hope you pain level is being kept under control and that all will go smooth during your recovery time. The music you used for relaxing during this stuff sound like a great idea very posiitve way of taking care of managing and wonderful you thought of doing this. I had my right knee replacement in 2013 in April and waiting for my left knee appointment date. I am sure when all is healed and swelling gone you will be happy that you had the replacements and your days of better movement will be very worth it. Wishing you the best and each day gets easier. Holly
 
@rosietosie Enjoy that shower today!! The music sounds great - what a good idea. Interesting about no TED hose, but you're right - I guess every doctor has their own protocol. I personally found them annoying and uncomfortable, and given the problems I had with them, I hope I don't ever have to wear them again :) Do they have you on any blood thinning meds or aspirin?
Hope you get discharged today and you can go home and get comfortable there!
 
@rosietosie It's the little things that are so meaningful. Congrats to you on walking so well, it does get easier. I was very fortunate and never had to wear the TED hose. The hospital that I went to didn't believe in using them. You will feel like a million dollars when you get that shower, I know to me it felt like heaven. Hope you get to go home soon, as it is such a better environment for healing. Thank you for the music information too.
 
Hi @rosietosie I've been following your recovery thread and you are doing so great...very inspiring! My surgery isn't until 11/11 but I'm trying to soak up as many experiences as I can to assist in my own recovery. I've written down your music tips and intend to order them and download to my Ipod. I'm a big believer in the healing power of music. Thank you so very much for sharing all of your experiences and all the best good wishes for continued recovery.
 
@ lavender- it is only today they have me dressing. Otherwise it's been the bedside bath with hospital wipes and gown provided by the hospital couture department. I'm waiting for my shower now.

@ljrfrm - I am on coumodin. Going home wi t h a script for 10 more days.

One tip that was mentioned on here that I thankfully remembered. ..swelling and tightness is pain and we need to take that into consideration when asked about our pain level on a scale of 0 to 10. I first said it was a 4 this morning before I had gotten out of bed. After I went to the potty I told the nurse I wanted to retract the four and make it a 7. Was really stiff and tight. It was also 30 minutes before I was due for my next pain med dose. So I got it 30 minutes early.

It seems I can feel the pain (mostly tightness, not acute pain) about 45 - 30 minutes before my next dose. And about 1 her after I take, my ears get really sensitive where voices, radio, TV are irritating.


Hopefully my next post will be from home, sitting in my recliner with Lily my therapy dog sitting next to me! She has been so traumatized with me being gone.
 
@rosietosie Darn, I didn't get my alerts to your thread again! I feel bad I missed so many of your posts. Passing out must have been very scary! Glad they were on top of it!
[Bonesmart.org] Rosietosie's Recovery Aug 27
on walking! Hope you are up and able to go home soon! Keep on top of the pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
Hang in there, you're doing well.
 
I am home, I am home!!! What a glorious day! The shower felt absolutely wonderful. My husband brought me my favorite Bath and Body gel so it was even more enjoyable. Even putting on gym clothes felt great.

We had a 30 minute ride home from the hospital. I had a dose of pain meds about 30 minutes before we were discharged. I also requested a dose of anti-nausea meds just in case I got car sick. We stopped to fill my prescriptions on the way home.

Two things about the car ride. I had the car seat as high as possible to help my legs with bending and transfer from the wheelchair. I felt every bump and swerve in the road that caused my legs to move. Not really much I could do to adjust and avoid the pain. Second, tell your driver to really take it easy when braking. A fast brake forces you forward and causes your knees to bend more. Unfortunately we go down "stop sign alley", a series of 7 stop signs, to get to our neighborhood. My husband finally got the hang of the soft brake after the fifth one.

I'm reunited with our dog. She's a mommy dog so normally she sits next to or on me. We trained her to sit on the ottoman next to the recliner. Even in her excitement to see me, she stayed on the ottoman. We call her my therapy dog who gave me lots of TLC after my hernia repair last year.
 
@rosietosie Glad you are home and showered and getting puppy love. Remember to elevate toes above nose and ice ice ice.
 
Welcome home. As I think back to my first week at home, I think the first day or two were the hardest. Within a few days, you will be able to more easily get up and down, figure out your best sleep position, manage stairs, etc. By the end of week one, it was so much easier, so hang in there. Make sure to ask for help and stay elevated, iced and medicated. Best wishes!!
 
First night home was a success! Slept in our first floor guest bedroom. Bed is nice and high and the in-suite bathroom is just maybe 6 ft away. We put a riser seat on the toilet. Unfortunately it has a tub, but we do have the handheld shower. I told my husband he could just hose me off outside! The neighbors would love that!!!

Slept pretty well. Used three pillows to elevate my legs. Only got up once at 3am to go potty. My husband kept the ice machines running all night. Was stiff in the am.

I'm using the Dosecast app on my phone and tablet to keep track of my meds. I'm managing my pain pretty well. Staying on top of it as recommended by BS.

PT and home health are coming shortly. I'm medicated Nd ready.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Labor Day! I hope to be walking a 5k next year!!
 
Slept pretty well. Used three pillows to elevate my legs.
I still haven't gotten the hang of that, I'm awake half the night worried that my leg will fall off the pile of pillows and I'll hurt myself (I know it wouldn't be permanent 'hurt', it's just I try not to put myself into a position where I wake up screaming - general rule of self).

I've gone full circle now. First three weeks I slept on my back, no other way. Then when I got home, I pretty quickly learned to prop my leg up so I could sleep on my side, but that never lasts very long, I get achey and crampy and have to roll over a lot. Now I'm back on my back - I wake up less through the night and in the morning I'm less stiff.

Like you, I read the BS mantra about keeping up the meds - but felt ready to start weaning myself off - prematurely I'm afraid. After a couple of shocking nights, if I feel I don't need a Targin I'll take Panadol Osteo instead rather than going cold turkey. Just mentioning it so if/when you feel you don't need something you can do the step down to Panadol/Tylenol and save yourself a lousy night.
 
@dovemck , is right keep up the meds, glad you are staying on top of the pain.
Sounds like your recovery is going well, you will be ready for the 5k next year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom