TKR Right TKR is done

Sorry I have MIA for a bit. I have been doing a part time, as needed, at will, temporary, you get it - job! When they call and ask if I can come in for a projet. I say yes and work around times of my Dr appts which they are fine with. What a perfect job!
Now, onto my darling little opening. Yes, I still have it. Last measure by the nurse this past week was .5 cm. The wick sometimes works itself out and is just lying under the bandage, so I'm not sure how much it does always. They tell me that is ok. I do 'hope' that the opening does heal itself shut, but wonder about it happening since there is still a bit of fluid that does come out. My new and yes, wonderfully caring OS says that if and when it heals shut, my body will absorb that fluid and the end has come with my left knee. Oh, for that day to be here. When they first re-opened my incision following a reveal of a second hole after a surgery on my tkr in March, I had thought that maybe by Memorial Day in May I would be finished. Then by the 4th of July, then Labor Day......well, it didn't happen for any of those - so, do you suppose by my birthday in October? Wouldn't that be a great gift? Funny. I do think so!!
One of the things this new OS has asked is that I lose some weight so that I can get my other knee done. He is adamant that my bmi HAS to be under 45 and at this point, I have lost 18 lbs since July 1, but still need to lose about 5-10 more so that I'm below definitely. I'm working on it.
One other thing about losing those lbs. I am still getting along following my last shot in my bad knee, and even some days this past stint at wotk, not using my cane. There is some pain at the end of the day, but nothing that tramadol and Tylenol can't handle so far. I fully understand the reason to lose weight for surgery and recovery and really want to continue to do so. And, a side benefit is getting back into some pants put away in the closet that didn't fit that were 3 sizes smaller than I was wearing. Apparently, back then, I put the year I purchased a pair, 2014 - so, it's good to be back into those smaller pants once again. The thrift store is getting the old big pants. Not keeping those big pants...not going back there!
I decided to show a picture of my last dr visit. As I looked at it last, it seems to be getting ever closer since then. When I stand I have quite a deep gully for lack of a better word where that part of the incision was. I don't plan to enter any beauty contest for Knees so it really doesn't matter to me, just need it finally healed........Maybe in another month! Fingers crossed.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Right TKR is done
    20170919_084803.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 228
Congratulation on the weight loss! I know how hard that is! I just think of trying to lose weight and I gain. Your hole is getting smaller. That's a good thing. What a wonderful birthday gift a complete closing up would be. Let's pray for that!
 
Congratulations on the weight loss! I know how hard it can be!
 
Thanks for the good wishes on weight loss. I saw my "new" OS today and he looked at how small the opening now is and told me that I should let the air to my opening more and to not put the dressing strip on it anymore. I told the wound clinic his thoughts and they agreed. Now, the OS says that one of 2 things can happen. First it can heal over and the moisture that I am getting out of the opening will be absorbed when it's healed. The other option it will create an abscess - now that worries me a bit. The OS says that the hole has to be healed for a full month before he talks with his comrades to come up with a plan of attack on my RTKR. He says that if it heals and opens then we will have to wait again. Sigh.....I sure hope that isn't the case. So, certainly at this point I won't be having surgery anymore in this calendar year. I have been hopeful, but he also told me that I have a 15 degree valgus on my right knee which means the nerve may be troublesome once my knee is straightened out and I may not be able to bring my toes up toward my knee......boy, I don't know which is worse right now.
I've 'technically' lost enough weight for the bmi requirements but still want to keep trying to get another 15-20 lbs off before surgery. Hard as that is, I know it is very important before surgery. I had saved some of my pants from several years ago -sizes smaller and I do fit in them. Nice to clean out the old big clothes and go shopping in my own closet. Plus the thrift store gets more!
 
So glad to hear you're having fun with your weight loss. Fitting into those older clothes in smaller sizes sure feels good.

Even better is hearing that your wound opening is now so small you can attempt to let it heal in open air. I hope Mother Nature rewards your patience and hard work by healing this last bit of your wound. You've been so strong, and so amazing... please let good things come your way now.

I'm so glad you're working with a sensible and compassionate surgeon!
 
Well, today was quite the day. The wound dr says he didn't think there is anything more he can do for me, so........drum roll please......I have been released and onto Dr B's care here in town, the new OS. The nurse prior to him coming in, probed the little incision a bit and that seemed to give me a little hole again. Not much fluid comes out, so I'm hoping that the fluid is being more absorbed into my system and it will eventually heal together and that little hole will again become scabbed over and heal up. So, I no longer have to drive an hour to the wound clinic and my vac days are past. When they finish with you, you put your 'rock' into the bucket. Today was a good day. Now, to finish healing and get ready to have my rtkr. Thank you all for your support on this very long journey to get to this day and hopefully soon to the day when I can say I'm finally healed. You have been a blessing to me!
 
that's wonderful news you are finally healing from that incision and have been released by the wound dr. soon a new journey will begin with your next knee replacement. sending best wishes to you.:flwrysmile:
 
Great news, @GingerP ! At last! You've been so patient. I hope everything continues to improve from now on. :friends:
 
What great news, Ginger! You've been on my mind more than you can know. It's good to know you are working with Dr. B and that you're looking forward... finally!... to getting your right knee done. You've been persevering for so long. Now you can move forward again.
 
The end is in sight for you! I'm sure you are so happy to be able to cut out that hour drive to the wound clinic! Throwing that rock into the barrel had to feel great!

What a challenge you have been through, but think of how much experience you have had and how much you can help someone else who is experiencing the problems that you have had.
 
It's been about 5 days since my little open spot has released any fluid through the scab area, so I am hoping that things have hardened up and sealed shut. Praying that this holds on until I see my new OS next Tuesday. Hopefully he will see I'm ready to get the right knee done. Lately my right knee has been hurting more, even with pain meds. Icy hot and an elastic sleeve over my knee are my constant friends for it. It definitely is time to get the tkr. I heard that the other OS he once mentioned to assist in my tkr takes months to get an appointment to see. I need to get surgery by February so I'm ready for my part time job that starts in May. Praying that things start moving on a schedule soon so I can get a tkr scheduled.
 
I pray your wound is completely healed now and you can get that aggravating right one replaced. Your journey has sure been a long one.
 
I too am hoping your wounds is completely healed. It does sound like that might be the case. Let's hope the doctor agrees. You've certainly gone through enough to try the patience of a saint.

Even if it takes months to get an appointment, the time spent will be worth it to get the best surgeon for your knee. Nothing matters more than getting a good surgeon. Be sure he knows about your timing concern. Sometimes surgeons can move people up the list if someone cancels on them.
 
Good news! Dr. B, thinks I'm done with the healing on my left knee! Yep, if I could, I would jump up high and yell, yippee, but since that's not possible for me physically, I will just share with you dear friends!!
He says that he will be meeting with some of his colleagues in a couple of weeks and made a copy of my x-rays and details of my left knee recovery to discuss with them about my situation. He says I have done all I need to, but I'm going to try to get off a few more pounds yet in the next 3 weeks. One thing that stuck with me is that he will be talking to a surgeon he feels is the best in Wisconsin. Not yet certain who or when my right knee tkr will be, but it's getting closer to being done. (Big smile)
I think it's time to change my thread name to: healed and waiting for my second tkr.
Thank you all for being there for me these past 10+ months to get here. I'm certainly praying that when my rtkr comes I don't have to deal with so many challenges. It was interesting that Dr. B said after all the tkr he has done, he doesn't want to have one that is infected. I promptly told him, I don't want to be that patient either!! He understands me and where I have been and I trust will get me the best care.
Hopefully good news coming soon....
 
Oh Ginger, that is such wonderful news! Prayers have been answered! Your news has made my night and I'm sure everyone else who has been following your journey! I pray that right new can be done quickly! God bless you!
 
Good news! Congrats on your weight loss. Sounds like all the dominoes are getting into place.
 
Ginger, I am so happy for you! You’ve certainly had an ordeal, but you triumphed in the end. Did you have a wound closure party? At least treat yourself. :beer:

Your new OS sounds wonderful. He’s really taken on your case and is seeing that you get good, comprehensive care. Losing a few more pounds will be a plus, of course. It’s difficult to do when your right knee hurts so much, but you have an iron will, that much is clear. Now you can move forward to a whole new life with two good knees!
 
What wonderful news, Ginger! :wowspring::happydance::dancy::spin:
I'm thrilled for you. You've been so patient through this long, long journey.

PS: I've changed your thread title for you.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom