THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am so sorry for how difficult you journey really is.I can't imagine doing this with 4 kids.I suggest prioritizing and only do the minimum ,which for you is a lot.Maybe you and your husband can make sandwiches the night before and have them ready for the next day.Try crock pot meals so you don't have to bend over into an oven.How old are the kids?Can they help at all?I hate to say it but a frozen pizza and salad are not all bad.Its disappointing when our kids misbehave or don't step up when we have stuff like this going on.I wish my adult children would offer more help as their Dad had a triple by-pass last July and could sure use the help too.I understand everyone is busy but we sure have helped them


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey all...

Hanging in there. I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words. It's hard when you don't get to say goodbye. I've been feeling a little more down lately. But some good news, the doctor cleared me early to move to full weight bearing! That was a positive that I know would have made my Aunt happy. Unfortunately outpatient PT can't get me in until next week, but at least it's a week earlier then I was supposed to start moving to full weight bearing. Thank you again for being there for me. This site really means a lot to me!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine...

Just wondering now that I have been cleared to move to full weight bearing when you think they might clear me to drive? Is there anything I can do at home now before PT to help or should I wait? My other issues is that since I have been walking on my right toe for the past 30 years I am having a VERY hard time putting my right foot down flat and putting weight on it. One because there is still a leg length discrepancy, but two because I am terrified to put weight on it and have my femur fracture or something else break like it did when I was 11. Any words of wisdom with or advice from you or anyone would be appreciated. I want to make my Aunt proud... I want to do this for her since she won't get the chance to recover from her hip surgery.: but I am scared and still have those 'scars' from when I was little and all the surgeries and set backs... Also, the sleeping pills aren't really helping with the restless leg syndrome, but my doctor doesn't seem to get that I may need a nerve blocker. Are there risks to staying on the gabapentoin? Don't think I spelled that right! Any help would be great! I know it was a lot of questions!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979 Another remedy for restless leg is Requip (ropinirole). I take 1.5mg about 2 hours before I turn in and it works wonders. As to gabapentin, I took 3600mg/day for nerve pain in my feet for over a year with no ill efects.
Kyle
 
@liucheang.... They are going to give me a lift for the inside of my shoe, but they said they will need to wait months to see how everything 'settles' before they will be able to properly assess the leg length.

On another note, today has not been a great day. I have been having a lot more pain and a lot of tightness and I'm not sure if it's from being too still or moving around. I didn't do anything more then I usually do and I don't know if I was more stationary then usual either..... Ugh... Does tightness mean you haven't been moving enough or can it be you moved too much? I really can't wait for my PT to start. I need help figuring this all out and hopefully getting back to some kind of normal. Just not having a good day...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, sending good thoughts your way. I'm sorry about your aunt.
Since you're now fully weight bearing your whole physical situation has changed. That's likely why you're feeling stiff and having pain.
Remember to ice and elevate.
I too tended to walk on my toes but that went away pretty rapidly. It just takes time for your brain to adjust.
Just a word of caution: take it easy with PT. Don't let anyone give you the 'No pain, no gain' speech. That just isn't true.
Walking truly is the best physical therapy.
Hang in there. You're going to be just fine. :)
 
@DeepBreath.. Thank you so much. The more I read on here the more I see that I have to be very careful when I go to PT. I am grateful for that knowledge. I haven't been putting my full weight on yet because I thought I should wait until I go to PT so I know how to do it. I'm afraid to try on my own and don't know how exactly I do that. Any tips or should I just wait for PT?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, are you using a walker, cane or crutches?
I was using a walker after my first surgery (when I had my femur fracture) and had quite a leg length difference. I continued to use my walker even after my surgeon cleared me to go to full weight bearing. It helped me to feel stable and balanced.
Just take it slowly. If your surgeon has cleared you you'll be okay to carefully try out your new hip and mended femur. Use whatever walking aid makes you feel comfortable. I tried to concentrate on walking with my heel down first and then onto the toe. (I hope that makes sense).
As far as PT goes, you just have to be firmly in control. I can absolutely understand you wanting to get their help with proper walking techniques, etc.
My PT helped with that and with basic exercises for strengthening and stretching. I'm glad I went, but honestly I think I would have gotten to the same place by simply walking as tolerated.
It's hard to say, really. My physical therapist is a lovely person who taught me some great exercises, did terrific massage on my tight hamstring and quad muscles, and did very gentle stretching manipulation with me.
The problem came when the exercise regimen was upped to include a lot of new resistance moves. I just don't think I was ready and I ended up experiencing trochanteric bursitis, which slowed my progress down considerably.
I find that just walking and doing the beginning exercises my therapist taught me works great at keeping me strengthened and slowly improving my range of motion and flexibility.
Everybody has to decide what is best for them physical therapy wise.
Just don't allow yourself to be pushed further than you feel comfortable.
If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anybody to make you feel badly for saying 'No'.
Listening to your body is key.
You'll be going through a lot of changes as you heal and your body will let you know what it can and cannot tolerate.
Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. :)
 
@DeepBreath

I have been using a walker this whole time. My biggest problem with the walker is that my arms are killing me from pressing on it so much! Before my surgery I lifted 5-6 days a week at the gym, so I really thought my upper body would be fine with this! I am just wondering if the walker is keeping me from progressing since I am leaning on it SO much.

I will definitely make sure that I don't let anyone push me further then I know I should go in PT. I actually feel way more comfortable on crutches, but we will see. I would love to get to the cane, but as you said, I need to remember to be patient. The last thing I want to do is push myself and have a set back. I have to work on mentally accepting that my hip and femur are strong and that I can put the weight on them. Having such a hard time with that.

What you said about the heel and toe walking makes perfect sense. I have actually been doing that for about a week now, so hopefully that will help as well! Patience! I need to stick that in my head!!!! Thank you again!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Have you tried two canes? It's what they favour here in the UK rather than a walker as they keep you more upright - I find I put less and less weight on them every day but the balance and rhythm of two of them helps me walk properly.
 
Any time, @Laura1979. :) You'll get there!
I so hear you about the arms hurting while using the walker. That was definitely frustrating for me.
 
@Zelda... That sounds like a really good idea... I definitely feel like I am walking funny and not how I naturally need to with the walker. I will see what the PT says and hopefully give it a try!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Questions for anyone please! So my husbands girls like in Buffalo, NY and he is going out next weekend for Father's Day. My twins are going with him and I really want to go, but do you think that would be too much at 5 weeks out? I will be almost 6 weeks out at that point... The drive with the kids is usually like 7-8 hours. I am guessing there is no way I should do it, but man I really don't wanna be home alone here all weekend. I still can't do some things on my own and he's been helping me. I also really want to spend Father's Day with my husband! Let me know what you all think!! Thank you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, to me it would be all about my physical needs. Will you be able to sleep and sit comfortably where you would be going? Would there be challenges you aren't quite up to, like lots of stairs, or safe places to bathe/shower, or good climate control? These may not be problems for you, but other things might be. And that sounds like a very long drive, and you have to do it two ways within a few days. I know that I could never have done it. You are way younger than I am, and are probably much more physically capable. Which would be more difficult for you - managing on your own at home, or managing what may be significant challenges if you go. I get that you don't want to be alone, for sure!
 
It sounds like a very long drive to me. Can you sit comfortably in a chair for that length of time?
I agree with Krista that you need to think about what will be easier for you physically - I know you don't want to be alone but being a long way from home if you start to feel pain could be just as bad.
 
@Laura1979
Keep in mind you will probably need to make several stops along the way to get out of the care and walk around to avoid any blood clot issues. I'm not sure how long post-op blood clots are no longer an issue, but I'm sure @Jaycey can help us on this issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom