THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Krista @Cynthia777

I am going to see the OS on August 1st so I will definitely mention it. He saw my knee before the surgery and he knows that it has always looked like that. My fear is that he didn't take that into consideration before the surgery, or he thought it wouldn't effect me, but it is. I am trying to stay hopeful, but I am really scared he is going to say I need some kind of surgery on my knee to straighten it out. I don't think I can do another surgery, so let's hope I am wrong and maybe even getting some kind of brace or something will help move it back?? That may be wishful thinking! I am going to talk to my PT today and see what she thinks! Thanks again for all the support!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura, if your knee has always looked like that, chances are that the hip surgery wouldn't have fixed it. A knee specialist would know best what to do about it. Let me tell you how I felt about having another surgery. After I didn't get better post-THR last summer, I couldn't stand the thought of having another surgery, since I had had such a difficult time with the THR. I was sure I would never have surgery again. Then, when it became apparent that I would not ever be able to walk without using aids and having pain, and that a surgery would correct at least part of my problem, I became resigned to it. It's been 5 months since I agreed to the operation, and, with one month to go, I am looking forward to it now, as it is harder and harder to live with my disability and pain.

You have apparently lived with your knee situation for your whole life. Is it painful and does it make walking harder or limit your activities? If so, only you can know what you would be willing to do to make it better, if possible. In time, you may be more open to surgery, if necessary. At 2 ½ months out, I wouldn't have been able to consider it! If it doesn't limit you, then maybe you will choose to continue living with it.
 
Question... At 8 weeks out, almost 9 weeks, am I able to stand up out of a chair with both feet flat on the ground? Or so I need to still make sure my right leg is out straight when I stand up? My right thigh is still so weak and I think a lot of it has to do with how little if any weight I am putting on it. I really need to strengthen that thigh so I wanna make sure I am doing everything I can! Thanks for any help!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Krista My knee has never been an issue at all my entire life, which is why I'm so scared now. I am going to definitely have a conversation with my OS and then regardless I am going to go see a knee specialist. That is really good advice! Thank you so much for what you said. I know that if I do eventually need to have another surgery, then that's what I need to do. I will be thinking about you with your next surgery and hoping it all goes well. You are a very brave woman and I give you a lot of credit. You have been a huge help to me on here and I can't thank you enough for that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura, I'm confused. I thought you said that your knee has been turned in all of your life. And now you are saying that your knee has never been an issue before. Whatever the situation, if it is an issue now, and your orthopedist can't help you, then you need a different doctor.

Regarding your other question, I was standing up out of a chair with both feet on the floor immediately after surgery. I was allowed full weight bearing. If you have any doubts about whether that action is restricted for you by your OS, then ask him, to give yourself peace of mind.
 
@Krista
My knee has always turned in but it has never given me any problems. I have never had any pain and I have always been able to walk normally. That's why I'm so unsure now as to what's going on. I am worried that since he gave me some length back and a new hip that is positioned differently then my old hip, that now my knee is taking the weight differently and causing me pain. It's frustrating because I feel like my OS should have taken all of this into consideration, and he didn't. It's why I'm afraid I may not walk again without a cane, but these are all things I need to wait and find out next Monday at my appointment. I will see a specialist is necessary!

I was only 50% weight bearing for the first 4 weeks, but they said because of the hip precautions with a posterior replacement that I couldn't bend past 90 degrees and the best way to do this when sitting and standing was to keep my right leg out straight. So I have been doing that since I haven't been cleared of the precautions yet, and it is definitely not helping to strengthen my right thigh. I guess I'll have to find all that out next week too! Thanks again for your help and support!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey all! I saw my OS on Monday and he took another X-Ray at my request and everything looks the same. He said that my knee will always turn in because of the osteotomy that I had when I was 11 and that once my thigh gets stronger I should be able to walk without the cane. I was still very hesitant, but he seemed confident and he said if I still have concerns in another month that I could come back. He said that I could get a little less than a 3/8 of an inch heel insert. I had told him that I had been using one, but that it measured a little higher then that, so I had stopped. He said to just order a 3/8 of an inch insert and try that and then I could also try a little less as well and see which feels better. I am really hoping this will all help me be able to walk on my own. Still really scared I won't be able to walk without the cane, but I have to stay positive and work hard in PT to make my thigh strong again. I would love any feedback or info from anyone with leg length discrepancies and where you got your inserts from! Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Laura,
I don't have the LLD issue but I was worried about being able to walk without a cane. I'm still using one most of the time but what I do notice is that as soon as my muscles started getting stronger my gait improved. From what you post it seems like your leg is quite weak just now and that will have an effect on how you walk. Give it time, don't panic and don't overdo the PT. Little and often works just as well!
 
@Cynthia777 I would love to talk to some of the people in that thread. The one person said exactly what is going on with my right leg and how my thigh gets this horrible pain and seizes up and I feel like it's going to give out when I try to walk with the cane. I keep hoping someone who is on here now can give me some insight or maybe @Josephine. Ok, well I just keep plugging away I guess... But man it's scary...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Zelda thank you for the reply! I really hope that you are able to walk without your cane. I know that we all need to be patient, but man, sometimes it's hard!! Hang in there. I know we all are!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Question... ANYONE?? I am at Knoebel's Amusement park with my family and wondering if I can go on the log flume ride? I had my surgery 3 months ago... Anyone??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That sounds like fun. Go for it!

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk
 
What about water slides?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura, hi. Not sure if you still need input about the flume ride or waterslides. And not sure if my experience is any help...but here goes. Last summer I took my granddaughter to Disney World, and we intended to go on a flume ride, but somehow ended up on a roller coaster instead. I was 3 and 4 years post-THRs with excellent recoveries, but the torque from the coaster was dauntingly uncomfortable. We did finally get to the correct flume ride however, and it was great fun.

However, you are a bit over 3 months out, and I gather you are still having pain issues, so frankly, if it were me, I would err on the side of caution, and try to avoid unnecessary strain.

That said, now I'm really curious to know if you did either/both, and if so, how did it go for you?

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom