THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 and @kwarendorf

I really think it was crazy what she did. I will go again on Thursday this week and we will see how that goes. It's a different therapist and I want to see what she does. I do need to find ways to help stretch my muscles and build up the strength or I may never walk on my own and I really need to be able to drive... It's going to be 6 weeks soon and I am really hoping to get cleared. Thanks again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If I remember correctly, you were concerned about putting weight on your leg? If so, can PT just work with you on getting your confidence back with walking? Walking is the best form of exercise, starting slow and increasing slowly. When I had a PT come to my home a few days after my THR, he said I didn't need PT because he felt walking would be the best therapy. It's worked out so well for me, but I know each of our issues are different. Hopefully the new PT will be much gentler with you. :-)
 
Anyone out there! I am 5 weeks post-op today and it still kills to sit down. Any ideas?? Should I be calling my doctor? I go to see him Monday but this is getting crazy!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Since you are seeing him on Monday, I'd just wait until then. I don't remember if you are still taking pain meds, and if so, are you taking them round the clock. If you are still having pain that bad, regular use of pain meds should help until you see the doctor.
 
I can't get a ride down there until Monday. Today has just been a rough day. I'm getting so frustrated that when I stand all my weight still goes to my left leg and even when I try to put more weight on my right it just isn't really working. So I'm exhausted because my left leg gets so exhausted and hurts. I can still feel the leg length a lot and it's making it hard to walk without some kind of lift. Starting to think I may never walk again without my walker. I've tried with the cane a few times and it's not going well at all. I know how lucky and blessed I am to be here, but man today is a bad day...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You poor dear. Please remember you have not used your op leg in a normal manner for so long, it is going to take time and patience for you to be able to walk "normally" again. Just remember, you have had major surgery and recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. One step at a time and don't even consider using a cane until you can walk freely with the walker...on both feet. Anytime you walk with a cane and you are still limping, that doesn't help anything because you are still putting all your weight on your good leg. Keep up on those pain meds and ice and elevate whenever you are sitting. It really helps. Oh, BTW...try sitting on a pillow to help with the pain.
 
@Krista... I haven't been on pain meds for about 2 weeks now. I have been taken ibuprofen like once a day because I'm nervous about my stomach with already being on the aspirin. Is there anything I can take that would help more! I am going to ask him all of this Monday, but in the meantime I thought I would check in with you guys... Does Aleve help more? Can you take that when you take aspirin? I really appreciate everyone's support on here...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Im pretty sure I've read here on BS that Tylenol is a better pain reliever than Aleve. Just to make sure I'll tag @Jaycey for you. She can also help you with the dosage.
 
@Nana957 Thank you! I guess I just keep thinking that so many sites keep saying that a lot of people are back to normal for the most part at 6 weeks and I'm 36 years old so I feel like that should be me! I'm trying to remember that I was 5 weeks with only 50% weight bearing, but I'm afraid I am so dependent on the walker now that I won't get off. But I know it's not a sprint so I am trying so hard to calm myself down, but man it's hard with 4 kids and the summer here!! I want to take them to the pool and the playground and out for ice cream and I can't even drive yet, let alone sit down anywhere without being in agony. I'm tough, so this pain isn't like a nuisance, it's painful! Hopefully I can make it through the weekend and get answers on Monday!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't know who is saying that most people are back to normal in 6 weeks, since that was most certainly not my experience, far from it! No matter how young you are, the bones that were cut and the soft tissues that were cut and stretched take a certain amount of time to heal, and you can't fight that or make it happen sooner. And you have 4 kids! I hope they can be of some help. I am guessing it will be some time before you can manage taking them all somewhere for a good time, such as a pool! Can you get their friends' parents to help out and take them places?

Regarding pain, here is an article from the Library Index about Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers to tide you over until Jaycey gets here.
 
@Laura1979
While there are some who recover quite rapidly, there are a vast majority that take several weeks and sometimes months to get back in the swing of things. Everyone heals differently and at a different pace, even under normal situations. And your situation is far from the norm. If you are still suffering with a lot of pain, I would recommend you get back on those pain meds. It will make a world of difference in getting your mobility back. And icing is very important, as well.
Also, if you haven't already done so, I would have a conversation with your children and let them know exactly what you are going through. Maybe, if they are old enough, can step up and help you out. It may even give them a sense of accomplishment, helping mommy out.
 
I have almost NO range of motion in any direction in my hip/leg and her trying to push it to see how far she could get it was scary and painful.
@Laura1979, nope :no-fin: PT should be neither scary nor painful. You have every right, as the patient whose body is being worked on, to say a big fat NO, I am NOT going to do that or NO, you are NOT going to do that to me.
You have to be your own best advocate, friend. It's perfectly okay to stand up for yourself. As you heal you will find certain things that flare up the tissues, muscles, etc. This is just a part of it, whether you do PT or not. Strenthening and improving ROM and flexibility is important, but should be done with the goal of putting the least amount of strain on those healing parts. Your body will let you know when it needs you to dial back on something. I was very similar to you when I started PT. I had had practically no ROM for years and it was the same immediately after surgery. I was also lengthened by my OS. PT helped some to strengthen and loosen the muscles, but I've honestly found that the best tool was simply time and regular use/walking. I know this is not what you want to hear. We hear these stories about people seemingly jumping off the operating table and into their brand new lives with very little recovery necessary. As @Nana757 so wisely says though, that's just not the case with most people. You're a young woman with small children and you understandably want to do fun, active things with them and you will. It might not be this summer though, hon. (I'm betting you'll be able to do more than you thought you could though! :) ) It's worth giving your body the time it needs to heal properly so that the summers to come can be the very best possible. I promise you that it won't feel like it does right now forever. It's a process and you'll start seeing leaps of improvement that will encourage you. It's not just a physical process either, but a mental one as well. You are still very early in this journey. Be kind to yourself.
@kwarendorf is exactly right. You don't have to lay on your side to do the leg lifts. You can just as easily stand up, using a chair back as support, and abduct the hip/leg from that position. That's what I do and it works just fine.
Also, you don't have to lay on your stomach. There might be exercises you can do in the future from that position, but at almost 7 and 9 months post surgery, I have yet to encounter any I've needed to do while laying on my stomach.
As for the PT tapping your incision area to 'wake up the nerves and muscles'...that just sounds goofy. The nerves and muscles will wake up when they're darned good and ready and thumping on them to the point of pain is not going to accomplish anything positive. The most my PT did in that area was gentle massage. Months into my recovery journey I have felt different nerves awakening. It happens on its own. Gentle exercises and walking as comfortably tolerated helps with strenthening and blood flow. Your body will heal itself in its own good time.
Never be afraid to question or flat out refuse something that doesn't feel right. Take it from somebody who pushed harder than she should have and ended up with numbness and stiffness that held up my progress. It's a learning curve and it fluctuates. Learning to listen to your body is a skill you'll master.
You'll get there. :)

Oh, and for what it's worth, I skipped an entire period after both of my THR surgeries. Our bodies go through some crazy things! :yes:
Hang in there, hippie friend!
 
First of all you can take Tylenol (2x500mg tablet) up to four times a day if you are in pain. I agree with what other people have said about reducing the pain to help you get mobility back.
Secondly, do not let your PT do anything to you that hurts. It was a full 8 weeks before mine asked me to try the sideways leg lift you describe (which I could barely do at the time) and she has never asked me to do anything that caused me pain. I've had worries about ever getting rid of my canes and getting back to normal too but I believe it will happen with time. Someone else here was just telling me the other day I needed to be patient because although everything seems to take so long at this stage, in the end things get back to normal very quickly. :yes!:
[Bonesmart.org] Right THR but only  6 weeks and losing faith"

That's the exercise other people have described and it's the one I had from day one in the hospital. I was told it's not about how far you can make the leg go but just practising the movement to start with.
 
@DeepBreath

Thank you so much for everything you said. Since they made me lay in my side and do the exercises, my leg has been hurting really bad even when I stand and try to move it out to the side so I have had to cut back on that. I definitely was more vocal at my next appointment and let the therapist know that I will not do anything painful. She seemed very understanding of that and I liked her a lot more then the first therapist.

I have been trying to be ok with the fact that this summer is not going to be everything I want it to be with my kids. My other issue is that we are going down the shore July 11-13th and I am SO nervous I am not going to be able to do anything. I am meeting with a high school student who is looking for a summer nanny type position and I am hoping she clicks with my kids and may decide she wants to come down to the shore with us! We will see. That will put me 10 weeks out from the surgery, so I am praying I can do it! I have to go back to my 20 something first graders at the end of August and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it! Ok, so I've been all over the place, but thank you for all the kind words!!! I will try to be patient!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979 Deep cleanse breath...

You are all over the place and making yourself crazy. Take a moment and understand that rehabing is a big task. But you need to focus in it or surely none of your other "distractions" will be possible. You must focus on you!

Get better and then worry about the other stuff.

Kyle
 
I'm home alone so all I have time to do is think! Lol Going to try and get ready and in bed by myself! Wish we luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I have been allowed to put full weight on my leg for 2 weeks now, but I just had my first PT Sessions Thursday, as I had said before. Do you think I would be ok to drive? I'm not on any pain meds other then Advil and I'm going stir crazy. But I am still on the walker ....


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979 In my opinion, if you can't walk without a walker you can't drive. Your focus still seems mispplaced. Focus on moving to a cane and forget about driving.

Kyle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom