THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may not be able to be there with you physically, but know you already have friends here on BS that are more than ready to lend an ear and a shoulder to cry on. Many of us are in a similar situation as you are (although maybe not with so many chicklens running around :heehee:). Hugs friend :friends:
 
@Laura1979, you definitely have a lot on your plate! Please know that you are in my thoughts and that this situation is not forever.
I can't comment on the smaller kiddo aspect as my remaining at home child was 14 at the time of my surgeries. You've been given such great advice about that anyway. :)
I will tell you that when I was 12 my mom had to go into the hospital for a couple of months. That left me, my dad, and older brother to fend for ourselves on the home front. We had a very traditional family. Dad went to work and mom took care of the house, period. My dad and brother had no more idea what to do regarding house duties than the man in the moon. That meant it was left to me. For two months I cooked, cleaned the house, did the laundry, etc all on my own. I wasn't very practiced at it, but I did it and we survived. Looking back on it, it was character building. I do remember balking at it. Jaycey is so right...12 is a difficult age. I really doubt you've 'gone wrong' with your daughter...she's just trying to figure out life from a changing viewpoint.
I too had the 6 week weight bearing restriction. It was difficult trying to gauge my progress since none of the posted time frames really applied to me. It did feel like it dragged out eternally while I was in the thick of it, but now that I'm on this end of things, it really doesn't seem long at all.
I'm glad you're reaching out for help. I know how difficult that is, but sometimes it's necessary. I absolutely love Toddlermom's comment: You are not letting someone down, you are letting someone lift YOU up. Perfectly said and one day you'll be able to pay that forward.
Good thoughts are going out for you. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you so much! When were you able to walk with a cane? When were you able to drive? Are you now able to bend over and clean and kneel down and what not? I just have so many questions and I'm hoping for the best!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am so pleased to hear you are taking steps to get help. I should have given you this before but it's a great little message for busy moms! Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
QUOTE="Laura1979, post: 911489, member: 21503"]Oh and I forgot to mention that I had the posterior approach, which I know has more precautions and is probably what is holding me up a bit.[/QUOTE]Actually it doesn't. You will, of course, have more discomfort in your sit-upon but as far as the restrictions go, it's pretty much the same and any other approach.
When were you able to walk with a cane? When were you able to drive? Are you now able to bend over and clean and kneel down and what not?
Walking with a cane comes when you feel up to it and have enough confidence and that is different for everybody.

Bending over, I think, will come likewise and gradually but probably not before about 14-16 weeks.

Driving can be done when you are able to shift your foot from pedal to pedal quickly enough to do an emergency stop. That's really the only caveat. You wouldn't want to drive before that and risk running into a child or a dog that suddenly ran into the road.
 
@Laura1979
I noticed you had a few questions for @DeepBreath, so I've alerted her for you. Should you want to direct a question or comment to certain members, just type the @ sign right before you type their user name (as I've done with yours above) and they will know you mentioned them. Hope this helps. Btw...look how many friends you've already made! :-)
 
Thanks, @Cynthia777. :)
@Laura1979, my experience is a little different because I had both hips replaced, eight weeks apart. The femur fracture occurred during the first surgery, then I had my second THR done two months later. Because of this, my recovery timeline differs from what you're likely to encounter.

What Josephine says is very true. Every surgery and recovery is different. It took me quite a while to graduate from walker to cane and then from cane to no walking aids. I had quite a limp for a long time prior to my surgeries, so it took me a while to get strength back into my muscles and to be able to walk more smoothly. Even now if I am tired or have had a very physically active (or particularly inactive) day I will limp slightly. I am now 8 months and 6 months respectively post surgeries.

It's a process. It is very true that you have to allow yourself time to heal and to reach those milestones when your body is ready. That's a whole different thing than when your mind is ready. :)

As far as driving is concerned, I drove at 6 weeks after my second surgery. Just like Josephine said, I made sure that I could safely and easily move from the gas pedal to the brake pedal before I took to the roads. I took it slow and stayed on side roads until I was sure that my reflexes were back to where they should be for driving purposes.

Regarding bending over, kneeling, etc - I had a posterior approach so I had precautions in place (no bending past 90 degrees, no crossing midline, no large twisting motions, etc until my OS released me from them at 6 weeks after my 2nd surgery. Even then, I didn't break those precautions. I am cautious by nature, so I decided to just take things as they came. It was probably about four months before I felt comfortable bending past 90 degrees and about the same amount of time for crossing midline. I haven't had any problems doing either and I feel like I did the right thing in listening to when my body was ready. There are a lot of work arounds you can employ rather than bending, crossing midline, kneeling, etc. As far as kneeling goes, I haven't done it yet. My knees have had moments of pain since my surgeries. It has lessened as time has gone on and I very likely could kneel now, but I am still working on loosening my quads and hamstrings as they are tight from my OS lengthening me during surgery. I imagine one day I will kneel down without thinking about it. :)

You're a good 14 years younger than I am. I wouldn't be surprised if you progressed at a faster rate than I did. What's important is listening to your body and letting it tell you when the time is right. I was actually shocked at how quickly I graduated from using a cane to not. I had been so compromised by arthritis pain prior to surgery that I honestly could not see myself just walking effortlessly and pain free. Being able to do that felt like winning the lottery. :)

I can't stress enough that although this process feels like it takes SO long, in hindsight it really doesn't. In another couple of months you will look back on where you are today and think, "Wow, things are so different now" and in 4 and 6 months your early recovery period will look very foreign to you.

Be kind to yourself, ask for help when you need it, and try not to beat yourself up for not being the 'perfect' mommy right now. I think it's a mom's lot in life to always feel she is lacking in some way and most especially under circumstances such as this. You're going to get better and you're going to be more the kind of mom you want to be...and it's going to happen more quickly than you currently think it will, I promise.
Keep the faith. You'll get there. :flwrysmile:
 
@Laura1979 The blues indeed! At 4 weeks in recovery, I was frequently tearful with out-of-control worries....and they carried me away. Would my kids grow up with a mommy who was sitting on the sidelines forever? (I still have another hip in my future). Will I ever be able to manage everything again? (I collapsed in exhaustion at 5 pm.) How will my husband manage? when should I try ____? it was overwhelming living with all of that buzzing in my head. :shrug:My blues was a never ending loop of questions....and the answer was always the same. I don't know. I felt like Charlie Brown saying...aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!:gaah::tantrum::tantrum2:

Today, I spent the afternoon with a picnic lunch around a pond, and 90 minutes at an aquarium. Almost 14 weeks since my surgery. LOTS of stops to 'watch the birds', 'look at a turtle', 'catch a cricket' and whatever excuse I needed to give myself a rest. At this point, your benchmarks grow each week to 10 days.......so it seems like it is taking FOREVER to improve. I couldn't have managed these activities prior to surgery. Although I am 6 years older than you, you are going to improve on your own timeline. Your body is adjusting to a huge change in structure if they did any significant lengthening. Think about that kid who grew 3 inches in one summer....your body changed overnight! It will take the summer to adjust. Forgive yourself.....healing and strengthening just takes time.

Am I 25 and running? - nope! But I can't wait to see what 6 months looks like. My doctor said that younger patients, like us, often have a harder time with recovery. We have higher expectations about what 'being recovered' looks like. So we attempt to push it, and get incredibly tired...and it takes longer to heal. I wanted to be able to lift my kids into a shopping cart at 4 -6 weeks. Guess I thought I should be super woman?!?!:running:

Give yourself permission to be fully committed to healing guilt free for the next 4- 6 weeks. Boy, I wish that I had! It's okay to watch Star Wars every day, and have waffles for dinner if needed. It won't break your kids. :bicycle2:Promise!

PS- I am currently laying down with 2 ice-packs after today's adventure. Kids are happily watching a movie for the next hour so I can rest on the couch. You will get there in time, recovery isn't like flipping on a switch.
 
Hi all
I think another thing to emphasise is that wherever you think you "should" be - and actually it's irrelevant, because everybody is different - your new hip post op is infinitely better than the old hip pre op
That transition happened with me at around three weeks
I am now 10-11 weeks post op and realise how much I need my other hip doing, looks like November
@Toddlermom mum makes some vg points!
 
@Laura1979 ,it's going to get better, I promise. My children are grown adults with their own families, and I'm proud that they are independent and successful, but they both live within 15 miles of me and have seldom offered to come and help me over the past year. They are old enough to know better and it hurt me that they couldn't be bothered. However, I have a very supportive husband and a bunch of dear friends who did so many nice things for me over the past 6 months when I felt overwhelmed. I still felt that I needed to come to this forum for support and understanding from people who are familiar with the suffering we all are enduring. When I talked to my girls they seemed surprised. They reminded me that when they spoke to me over the months that I seemed confident that I could take care of things. My husband also assured them during that time period that he had things under control. They said that I never asked for any help, and that I had always told them to ask when they need something, don't depend on people to read your mind. My point? What Josephine said. Be humble enough to ask for help when you need it so that people know what you need and that they can then respond. As Homer Simpson would say.......Doh!!! Don't feel like you are imposing. Be willing to let go of your pride and admit that you can't do it all! I'm seeing a lot more of them since Sunday!

I'm sending you prayers and healing thoughts. The Calvary should be on the way!
 
@Toddlermom
I am definitely in the throes of the blues. It honestly really helps to know that you are going through a very similar situation and that there is a light at the end of this tunnel! I really can't thank you enough for reaching back out to me. Sometimes you can really start feeling alone and this has really made me feel like I have a place to go when I get down!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DeepBreath

I can't believe that you had a hip fracture as well. It definitely makes you questions everything and feel so much more cautious of everything. I can't imagine having both of my hips done. Luckily I only have to have the one because of the infection being in there all those years ago, but I guess you never really know what may happen in the future. I also walked with a limp all my life and am really nervous how this will effect how I walk. They did give me some length back but they won't really know how it all plays out for a few months when everything settles. I am so nervous about learning to walk with that new length and stretching all my muscles. I just pray I will be able to walk normal after all of this... Thank you again for all of your kind words ... Everyone...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by how much your limp is lessened or even completely eliminated. :) I honestly never thought I'd be able to walk without a limp. I'm happy to know that I was wrong!
It takes some doing, but you'll get there. 'Time and Patience' became my mantra.
You're going to do great. :)
 
So I have another question. I can not find anywhere that I can sit comfortably. We got a recliner that is electric and can literally lift me up and out, but I haven't needed that aspect. When I first came home as long as I later back in the chair and put my feet up I was pretty comfortable.

But now I am getting further along and I don't want to lay back and put my feet up every time I sit down. So when I try to just sit in the chair it's awful! It's constant pain! This same thing happened in all the chairs I have tried to sit in at the parents house and any other houses I have been in. I am so frustrated. I have a leather sofa that has recliners on both ends, but I don't know if it will work because it's low and pretty squishy.

The problem now is that even when I sit with my feet up in the recliner it hurts my hip. Not right away all the time, but I can't last more then like 10 minutes without it starting to ache and get really uncomfortable.

Any idea what might be going on? Could everyone sit comfortably by 4 weeks with a posterior approach? I know that doesn't really matter, what matters is how am I going to find somewhere to sit? I can't keep doing this! It's exhausting! I have another issues to at night but I'll get into that after I figure out a way to feed the kids since my husband is at work! Thanks guys!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I needed a very upright chair with extra cushions for quite a while after my RTHR. Getting the back support right was just as important as what I was sitting on.
 
Thank you ladies! That's a great idea! I definitely think the back support is playing a big part in this and I wanted to see if anyone else felt that way. I am also definitely going to order the pillow! Great idea!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Does anyone know if I can lay on my side that was not operated on with a big thick pillow between my legs for a little bit at night to sleep?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't have the posterior, but I've read several other posts where members who had the posterior approach were able to. I'll page @Jaycey for clarification.
 
I read an article in the last day or so that says as long as you put a big pillow between your legs that runs the length of your leg you can lay on the up operated side. Do not let the other leg cross over, though.
 
The only problem with putting a pillow between your legs to sleep on your side early on is that while you are asleep, you naturally move and roll a little, and it is quite possible that your leg will come off the pillow. If the pillow goes the whole width of the bed and is pinned into place a bit, then you have a chance of keeping where it needs to be. I tried side sleeping at about 3 weeks since I just wasn't getting nearly enough sleep, even with daytime napping, and even though my leg didn't fall off the pillow, I woke up after a couple hours of sleep and I was in some nasty extra pain. Didn't try that again until 6 weeks, when the restriction was removed, and it worked fine then, no pain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom