THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone.
@Krista.. That is exactly what I was afraid might happen. I have just been having such a hard time sleeping like you said! Ever since I had to sleep on my side since being pregnant I can't seem to sleep any other way!!! I'm so tired and I just need to get some sleep!! Thank you for the advice though. I don't want to do anything to hurt my hip!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok another quick question. Sorry to keep asking questions. I have always slept with a pillow under my knees. My back never lays flat and starts to hurt so the pillow under my knee helps. Can I continue to do that??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, I so sympathize with you wanting to sleep on your side. I slept only on my side for decades! But post-surgery last summer I was not allowed to sleep on my side, and I can't sleep on my back, so I had to sleep sitting up, propped up with lots of pillows behind and around me for those first 6 weeks. For me, it was the worst part about the surgery. 1 to 1 ½ hours at a time was all I got, so I napped whenever possible and usually got up to a total of about 6 hours in 24. Here's a link to a Bonesmart article that may help you. Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
I'm with you on the sway back! I had a hospital bed and would raise my knees mimicking pillows under them. I can't see any reason why it would be a problem, but let's make sure and ask @Jaycey. Please never feel like you're asking too many questions, as that's what this forum is for. :-)
 
Hi Laura, Like you I found it very difficult to sleep on my back for any extended period of time and I did lie on the side which was not operated on. I even did this in the hospital and the nurses would help be place a pillow between my legs. I continued to do this at home. I would start off on my back but soon turn to the side. You should also have no problem continuing to sleep with a pillow under your knees when lying on your back if it makes you more comfortable.

As far as sitting comfortably goes, try sitting on a thick cushion or pillow to keep your legs below you hip level when seated. I hired an adjustable upright single seated lounge chair for the first couple of months. The legs adjusted to fit my height. The danger of sitting on your normal lounge chair is that you can break your hip precautions because of the low seating and angle of the back rest which also makes it harder for you to get up out of the chair without leaning too far forward, hence breaking your hip precautions. Any upright chair is suitable but of course not always as comfortable as a lounge chair.

I think @Toddlermom has given you some very sound advice from her own experience. Both your 10 and 12 year old girls are old enough to help you out with simple tasks even if they don't want to. Maybe you and your husband need to sit down and have a good talk to them as I am sure they do not understand how much you have been through. Toddlermom's advice about hiring a young person to help with cleaning, vacuuming, cooking, washing or just looking after the kids is sound advice if you can afford it. Or, maybe even bribe your unwilling girls to help. Surely they are capable of vacuuming, helping the younger once get ready for bed, school etc. Cut their own lunches and so forth. The older child is on the brink of becoming a teenager.

Try to turn a blind eye to the fact that you cannot keep up with all the household chores at the moment and just do what you feel you are capable of. You need plenty of rest during the recovery period to give yourself time to heal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have always slept with a pillow under my knees. My back never lays flat and starts to hurt so the pillow under my knee helps. Can I continue to do that??
Yes, this is no problem. Having that pillow under your knees is good for your lower back.
 
Hello all
I found (like @Zelda) that an upright, hard backed chair really worked, particularly in the early stages. I got up every hour so to move around the house with stick/s too. It was an effort initially, but well worth it
I then alternated between that and sitting on the bed with a few pillows behind my back
Peter
 
How long after your hip replacement were you able to bend over and pick something up off the ground or tie your shoe? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I am just trying to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Was anyone able to go out to dinner before their precautions were lifted?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know of several members who went out to dinner as soon as they could sit comfortable in a regular chair. I would suggest you take a firm pillow or two with you.
 
Hi @Laura1979 and welcome to Bonesmart! Congratulations for entering the world of us bone smarties! Just wanted to share my experience of having posterior THR.

My bed ended up looking like a sea of pillows. I had one really firm one under my op leg just under the knee, with another one under my non op leg under my thigh and between my two legs...kinda under and over the two. Then I had pillows under each arm and two under my head and neck. I know it sounds a bit of overkill, but it really helped me sleep on my back and deterred me from accidentally rolling over in the middle of the night.

Once I got used to it and did some tweaking, it became quite comfortable. Then, once I became confident enough to sleep on my side, I put a couple of pillows against my back and then I put a couple of good firm pillows under my op leg. It'll take a couple of trials to see what works best for you, but I never had any trouble with the pillows slipping out in the middle of the night. Of course, if you're worried, you can always loosely tie the pillows to your op leg with bathrobe belts or something like that. I know that sounds a little ridiculous, but whatever works...right?

You will soon learn there is a lot of improvising during this recovery period. As far as bending is concerned, you can still bend...golfers style. That is, bend with your good leg and stretch your op leg out behind you. Just make sure there is something to grab hold of for balance and stability. And once your OS puts you back on full weight bearing, your recovery will start speeding right along. Just be patient and remember to keep icing and rest. Here's hoping for the best for you.

Oh...and I went out to dinner a lot, but just always carried a pillow or little decorative sofa pillow with me, just in case the restaurant seats/booths were too low.
 
I have always slept with a pillow under my knees. My back never lays flat and starts to hurt so the pillow under my knee helps. Can I continue to do that??
Of course you can! People tend to overplay this 90 degree restriction thing but in reality you don't have to worry about a normal degree of bending. See, you can bend UP to 90 degrees, just not past it.

This is a 90 degree bend
[Bonesmart.org] Right THR but only  6 weeks and losing faith"


And there are ways you can do things like picking something off the floor without coming anywhere near that!

[Bonesmart.org] Right THR but only  6 weeks and losing faith"


Does anyone know if I can lay on my side that was not operated on with a big thick pillow between my legs for a little bit at night to sleep?
Again, of course you can! But I'd read Nana'spost for good instructions on that!
 
Hi @Laura1979
I have never had problems picking things up if I did it correctly
Shoelaces are a different matter. I'm still not totally comfortable, but to be honest I'm not that bothered. I will just wait until I am!
Everything else seems fine
 
How long after your hip replacement were you able to bend over and pick something up off the ground or tie your shoe?

About 4 weeks. That's when my hip precautions were lifted.

Was anyone able to go out to dinner before their precautions were lifted?

Oh yeah! I started eating out in my second week post-THR. It was nice to get out of the house once in a while.
 
I used reachers to pick things up off of the floor for the full 6 weeks of my precautions. My "good" leg is kind of iffy, so I didn't dare try anything that depended on it. As for eating out, as long as you can get around with your walker or crutches, and someone else drives you, sure you can go out to eat and to many other places. The key is not to stay out too long and get over-exhausted. Here I am, walker at the ready, at 15 days on my first fun outing (other than the 2-week surgeon check-up) to my favorite hot dog place!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Right THR but only  6 weeks and losing faith"
    IMG_0753.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 178
Thanks again everyone. Since I had a posterior approach I know I can't even attempt to bend over for 6 weeks, but I was just wondering how possible is was at 6 weeks or it it took closer to 8 or 10 or even more.

Another question! When were you allowed to go in a pool? I forgot to ask my doctor and I was just curious. My kids are little and want to go to the pool and I was just wondering when I could go in with them. Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Krista! You are sitting up so straight. I am always leaning back whenever I go and sit. I'm so terrified to break the precautions!!! Great picture though!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Laura, You can go to the pool when your wound has healed over completely. Take your long handled grabbers or whatever you need to help you to get dressed afterwards otherwise you will find it very hard to get dressed without dangling your undies and pants on the wet floor in the change room. Also you have to be very careful when walking around on the wet tiles. I presume you would have a shallow warm pool with stairs or a ramp at your leisure centre. I don't think I would be trying to climb up and down a pool ladder just yet. It is good to be able to walk around in the water. Walk up and down the pool in a normal manner several times and then side to side initially. Don't overdo it or you will feel it later. As your recovery progresses you can graduate to gentle lunges etc. Once again only a few to start with. The best water depth for your exercises is about chest high.

As far as bending goes use the golfer's pick up where you swing you operated leg gently out to the back as you bend (this keeps the hip level with your body) or you can bend with you operated leg first when going down and use the good leg first when getting up. Use grabbers whenever you can. Most hip precautions are for about 12 weeks but everyone is different. Don't rush it.
 
Hi Laura! You really are in a tough situation. Listen to your doctor and don't be afraid to ask for help! You can pay it forward later.
 
@Laura1979 I have a reacher in every room. I was unable to tie my shoes for months so I used slip ons, I suggest you get slip ons, Do you have teachers in every room ? I had BTHR over 12 years ago and I still use them. They're great for backs and knees too.

As for sleep, I fall asleep on a huge side chair, When I wake to go to the bathroom, I get back to bed, Do you have a big sofa like soft side chair?

Raised toilet seats, removing all doors to allow easy walker entrance(I can only partially bear weight for months after BTHR).

Hip chair and shower chair all helps.







As foot f
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom