Guest viewing is limited

THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all brought up really good points. I didn't think enough about sleeping at the hotel there and making sure I had somewhere to sit comfortably and getting all around. I am going to stay home. I know I'll be fine, I just feel bad that I won't be with my husband for Father's Day, but it's for the best. Thank you for making me think!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm not sure how long post-op blood clots are no longer an issue,
When I went on holiday at 10 weeks, I was advised to wear my compression stockings for the flight and make sure I walked up and down the aisle during the flight - and that was only 2 and 1/2 hours.
 
@Laura1979 I'll bet you'll do great. My girlfriend was by my side constantly for the first 2 weeks post-op. Last Sunday she lft to go visit her grandsons. I've been on my own for the last week. Think of feeding, bathing and other everyday things you'll do for yourself as occupational therapy. It counts just as much as walking or PT. Just take your time and do them in small chunks. Rest and ice in between :)

Kyle
 
Perhaps you can Skype with your husband on Father's Day! Certainly you can talk to him every day while he is gone. If I were you, I'd think of it as a mini-spa vacation for yourself. You only have to please YOU! Make sure you have plenty of the foods and drinks that you most enjoy, plan to watch movies or series that you've always wanted to see, and pamper yourself!
 
@Krista.. That actually sounds perfect! I'll make sure I'm stocked up on food and enjoy some time to myself and watch some romantic cheesy movies!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@kwarendorf

I agree! I can definitely make it work. My biggest fear is the commode. But I think I will end up being fine just using the regular toilet upstairs and then I'll leave the commode downstairs for during the day. My biggest problem is my fear. I'm so afraid to move or bend in ways that I am probably allowed to love and bend, but I'm just scared. You would think a 36 year old mother of 6 wouldn't be so scared, but I turn back into the 11 year old little girl whose femur fractured and who ended up in a body case for 3 months. I will have had a whole week of outpatient PT by then, so maybe I will feel more confident on my own!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You can do it, @Laura1979! I was a 67 year-old mother of two after my THR, and my husband and daughter went off on a 3 week backpacking trip when I was 3 weeks post-op. Frankly, I LOVED the peace and quiet and not having to deal with either of them, even though I love them both dearly. I ate when I wanted, slept whenever, had no one making messes but me, it was heavenly! I did have my sweet sister, who lives next door, to help me with things like food shopping. I had a slow-ish recovery, too, so I am sure you will be fine. Keep your phone with you at all times and enjoy!
 
Yes! Stock up on comfort food and cheesy movies and romantic novels and have your very own Staycation! You can nod off for a nap whenever you need it and really relax!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
I'm so afraid to move or bend in ways that I am probably allowed to move and bend, but I'm just scared.
Did your surgeon give you any restrictions? If not, please don't worry. Just move slowly and if it hurts ease back. Your hip will tell you when you have gone too far.

BTW - these implants are tough. Nothing is going to fracture. Do ask PT for advice on moving around on your own. Better that advice than giving you exercises that will just make you sore. Hips don't really need any PT - just walking.
 
@Jaycey I have the typical posterior precautions. No bending past 90 degrees and no turning my toes in and out and no crossing my leg over the other. But I am not sitting down even close to 90 degrees cause I'm scared and that's making things harder. I'm also terrified to put any kind of weight on it. Can anyone tell me what the basic stretches and exercises are that their PT have them? My PT gave me a lot of stuff and some of it I think is too much so I wanted to see what I could be doing to help stretch and build up strength! Thanks in advance!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
HELP! I have a question. Has anyone been very late with their period after their hip replacement? I usually get my period every 24-25 days and it's been 33 days now and I'm a little panicked! Just curious if this has happened to anyone else? I have never missed a period, so I wanted to make sure something else could be wrong! Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laura, I would think that any big physical event, such as the big, brutal TRH, could disrupt hormones and cause a period to be late or missed. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I have heard of such a thing. If you google, you'll see you are not alone in this!
 
I've had a lot of surgeries and I did miss a period (or even two) after surgery. I found that it can take a few months for my cycle to get back to normal. Like you, I had always been very regular, so it did come as a bit of a surprise.
 
HELP! I have a question. Has anyone been very late with their period after their hip replacement? I usually get my period every 24-25 days and it's been 33 days now and I'm a little panicked! Just curious if this has happened to anyone else? I have never missed a period, so I wanted to make sure something else could be wrong! Thanks!
Yes, it's perfectly normal for major surgery to throw your cycle out for a while. Mine came early after the first surgery as if my body was thinking it had enough to cope with without a pregnancy on top!
 
But I am not sitting down even close to 90 degrees cause I'm scared and that's making things harder.
Please don't worry! I am sure you are doing just fine with your restrictions. Here's a link on Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
I'm also terrified to put any kind of weight on it.
Why? Did someone tell you not to put weight on your new hip? If not - just walk as normally as possible. Use your walker or a crutch to help you gain confidence. THR is all about regaining mobility - not causing it.

Regarding exercise - hips don't really need any of those aggressive exercises. Walking is the best exercise. If your PT is giving you exercises that cause any discomfort, tell them to stop. PT should never be painful.
 
Thank you everyone!

@Jaycey. No one told me not to, I was just 50% weight bearing for 4 weeks and now that I am allowed to put the full weight on it, I'm a little nervous! But thank you for the support. I am heading out now to my first outpatient Physical Therapy appointment. I will speak up for myself if I need to thanks to everyone's advice and support on here!

Thank you to everyone for the info on my missed period. It's not like it's a bad thing! I just hate walking around and not prepared for it! But things will all settle soon I'm sure!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979
I understand how you feel about being so nervous putting all your weight on your new hip. But, believe me, that new hip of yours is a whole lot stronger than you think it is. If the DR lifted the weight bearing restriction, then have confidence in his knowledge and expertise. It'll take time, but every step you take on your new hip will give you the confidence to take another, then another, and so on. By the way, your hip will become a non issue when it comes to having sex. There is a link on this site for do's and dont's, but for the most part, standard positions are very doable...hehehe. Have a wonderful night and I hope your PT appt went well.
 
Hey everyone!

PT was interesting. It was just the evaluation but man it was tough. I have almost NO range of motion in any direction in my hip/leg and her trying to push it to see how far she could get it was scary and painful. I tried to talk to her though and let her know that I know I need PT to get my range of motion back and stretch out my thigh muscles since they game me some of my length back, but that I need her to be patient with me. I am scared and very apprehensive and I am going to have to take baby steps to get this done.

Question: are you allowed to lay on your stomach after a hip replacement?

She wanted to flip me on my stomach and I was too terrified because I thought that wasn't allowed?

She also had me turn on my side with a very thin pillow between my legs and try to raise my leg up, but I literally couldn't. So then she tapped pretty hard right on the side of my hip on my incision to 'get the nerves and muscles to wake up', man all it did was make my hip and incision hurt SO bad, so I strained to lift my leg up so she would stop and man did that hurt bad. I know I need to be able to do that eventually, but this was tough!! Any help or advice would be appreciated!!!!! Please!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Remember one of the bonesmart mantras..."If it hurts don't do it"! Too many members have ended up with chronic pain problems from PT (although some members have benefitted from it). My advice, hold off on the PT at least for awhile. Just my opinion.
 
on my side with a very thin pillow between my legs and try to raise my leg up
Another way to do this is to stand at a counter and move you leg out to the side. It's the same motion but without having to lift the full weight of your leg.

she tapped pretty hard right on the side of my hip on my incision to 'get the nerves and muscles to wake up'
I'm no PT but this sounds nuts!

Kyle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom