Guest viewing is limited

THR Right THR but only 6 weeks and losing faith"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Laura1979
I hope your day is going well. I was able to tie my own shoes, once my restrictions were lifted. I started out slowly by sitting in a chair and propping up my foot and reaching down, between my legs, to tie my shoe. Once I got comfortable with that, I progressed by bringing my foot closer and closer to me. Now I have no problem at all. It's all about confidence, once your restrictions have been lifted. In the meantime, slip on shoes are the way to go or have one of your children do it for you. That might help them gain a sense of empathy for you, as well.
As far as the pool is concerned, I wouldn't even consider it until your incision is completely healed. You sure don't want any bacteria seeping into the incision area. Also, you will need to be super cautious of any rambunctious kids while you are getting in and out of the pool. You don't want to have to worry about any sudden twists, turns, slipping or being bumped into that may jeopardize your recovery. To be honest, if you're still on 50% weight bearing, I can't imagine how you would manage a pool outing, unless you're just planning on sitting in a chair while your kids are swimming and playing. And, don't forget your pillow/cushion for sitting, just in case.
 
I think I am just so afraid to bend over that I will wait a while even after the restrictions are lifted. As for the sleeping, I ended up going to my doctor today because the past 4 nights have been awful. I have literally been hysterically crying from 10 until like 1 or 2 in the morning until I finally pass out from exhaustion. I am getting a really weird sensation in my leg and hip. It reminds me of how they describe restless leg syndrome. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the doc and he prescribed Ambien, but I really think it's a nerve issue. I never speak up for myself with doctors because of all the fear that is still in me from when I was little and constantly in and out of the hospital. Does anyone have any experience with any of this? It seems to resonate in my groin. It feels like a squeezing pain in there sometimes and then a tingling feeling all through my leg and even in my other leg that has not been operated on. I am scared to take the Ambien because I don't want to become dependent on that to sleep. Any advice would be appreciated.
@Josephine, I haven't been ignoring you. I will answer with where the pain is later tonight. We are attempting to take my twins out to a movie. They have reclining chairs so I am hoping I can make it! Thanks everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One more thing. I am 36 and have always had a very healthy sex life with my husband. If any of you picked your sex life back up after the hip replacement, when did you do it and how was it? I thought it said 6, maybe 8 weeks? Thank you again for any help!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just read your story, @Laura1979. It's good that you ask all these questions, because you are getting a lot of good answers that will help you and many others as well.

Please don't be afraid to try the golfer's bend that Josephine and others mentioned. The occupational therapist that came to my house after I got home from the hospital showed me that and then had me show her how I could use it to get things out of my dryer using the reacher and get things off the bottom shelf of the refrigerator and also empty the dishwasher. I'm a pro at it now and don't hesitate to reach down and pick stuff up off the floor, including my reacher when I drop it. Just make sure you steady yourself with your hand on a countertop or the side of the fridge, etc.

Sleeping on my back has also been very difficult for me. For the first 3 weeks post-op, I would go to bed and sleep for maybe 2 hours and then go to my recliner for the rest of the night. Just in the past week, I've been able to spend the whole night in bed. Well, I usually get up at least twice to pee and to stretch, but I am so happy to be back next to my hubby. I have been taking one pain pill before going to bed and then another in the middle of the night if my legs feel restless, but those are the only pain pills I've needed.

And, finally, your most recent post really got my attention. At 69, my hubby and I have had an active sex life for 46 years of marriage come next Monday. I'm very anxious to be able to pick it back up soon, but can't quite imagine how it's going to work just yet so I'm hoping others will have some answers for you and any of the rest of us who would like to know.

In any event, I'm very glad that you've found this wonderful forum. Together we'll all get through this. May you soon have more restful nights which will make a big difference in how you feel. Hugs! :friends:
 
@Laura1979 Really, try sleeping on an easy chair first. Then when you wake up, Go back to your bed! You will be so tired you will fall asleep in your bed after falling asleep in your easy chair first. I have the worst insomnia. This works for me better than sleeping pills.

Not eating for 3 hours before bed also helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Any comments in the sexual aspect? Also, how long did you use ice before you switched to heat?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Since I had a posterior approach I know I can't even attempt to bend over for 6 weeks
I'm only at two weeks and I bend over - not past 90 degrees but I've got quite long arms so I can still reach a lot of things - not the floor but the bottom shelf of the dishwasher or to put things into the washing machine. I use the grabber for anything very low.

One more thing. I am 36 and have always had a very healthy sex life with my husband. If any of you picked your sex life back up after the hip replacement, when did you do it and how was it? I thought it said 6, maybe 8 weeks? Thank you again for any help!

At 6 weeks, after I'd seen the OS for my check up. Very carefully and gently at first as I think we were both terrified of shaking something loose but things were starting to get back to normal at about 10 weeks.
:happydance:
Actually, better than normal because my right hip actually works the way it's supposed to now! Roll on another month and two working hips!
:wowspring:
 
@Laura1979 - I'm new to your thread and just read your story. You have received great advice from everyone here especially from @Toddlermom regarding your children. As I see it, yes, the older girls should be helping you out but understand the challenges you may be having considering their ages. Patience, perseverance and time got me through those years, but then I didn't have to deal with what you are going through. I do think if given the chance and they see how much their help, helps you, this will make them feel good about helping out. You are not doing anything wrong, In 10 years, they will look back and love you for always being there for them, especially when they leave the 'bubble' they live in now and enter the 'real' world.

I thought I would point out a few things that helped me with some of your issues. I am just getting back on my feet after 4 months of 30% weight bearing, on a walker and being housebound. I will be seeing my Dr. on June 23 for my 6 month checkup so I'm a little ahead of you.

I had an infection after hip surgery which lead to a two stage procedure - spacer and new hip. It was grueling and I faced many of the challenges you are facing - sitting comfortably in a chair, sleeping on my back, restless leg, bending over and yes, sex! :yes: To start with the sex, the articles Josephine left for you to read were very helpful. I found them early on as I knew I was in this for the long haul. I have a very patience, gentle and creative husband. Think outside the box and hold no expectations - we are an adaptable species! :wink:

Sitting comfortably was a huge problem. The only place I found comfortable was on my kitchen chair which ends up being an old computer chair that flexes when I sit back. I had to put two pillows on the seat, but I would sit there pretty much most of the day. I could not sit on a straight back chair or recliner. Enjoying a quiet evening with my husband was frustrating. I could not sit comfortably for a long time and would end up in bed with all my pillows until I fell asleep.

Restless leg - this was a big problem for a long time and the only thing that would help is my pain meds and a Gabapentine which helped with the nerve issues I was having. I still have a bit of this now but as I get stronger and my leg muscles gain more strength, it has abated a lot.

Sleeping on the back - After four months of this, I almost went mad! However, the proper pillows under the leg and around me helped. I did manage to sleep on my side during my spacer and then a few weeks out after my new hip. I used an extra large pillow between my legs and firmly supported my back so I wouldn't roll.

Bending - I used the golfer's stretch pretty much the whole 4 months! I was constantly dropping things, including my 'picker' so once I could support myself, bend I did!

Non weight bearing does take a toll on your hip so take your time when the restrictions are lifted. It will feel great to rid yourself of the walker and begin to walk normal again!

Hope this helps!:flwrysmile:
 
Hey! I wrote a whole response to you and it wouldn't send! But thank you for your support! I will write the rest later since I have to go find something to feed the kids and I! Thanks again for the support!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey everyone... This has been a very hard week. My Aunt who had her knee replaced just 9 days after me died of a pulmonary embolism as a result of the surgery. I am honestly devastated. We were going to be keeping in touch through this whole process and trying to help and support each other and now she is gone. I'm honestly just a mess. I just came on here because I needed to say it aloud. Nothing has sunk in...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Laura1979, how tragic! So sorry for the loss of your dear aunt. We never expect that result, and it is shocking. Sending you hugs to support you through this difficult time.
 
Oh, Laura! How awful. My thoughts are with you and your family and do come back and chat if you need somewhere to talk.
 
So sorry to hear about your Aunt. I was scared to death of a PE and actually discussed that with my doctor. The pre op nurse and I talked about it too since I asked a question about how often the happen.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh it's not theoretical but the instances of it are extremely rare. During my 50 year career I think I have known or heard of only a handful of deaths due to PE after a joint replacement.

For those who have previous history of thrombosis of various kinds, there are precautions that can be taken to forestall a clot becoming a pulmonary embolism. Pulmonary embolism, past history and Greenfield filters
 
I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt, @Laura1979. This is truly a shock to hear after a joint replacement surgery. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family today. We are here if you need us. :prayer:
 
So very sorry to hear this. Very sad any time we lose a loved one and under the circumstances, it must be devastating. Hugs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom