Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Sending you healing, comfy thoughts and prayers. Glad you are home and on your way to recovery. Think first before stepping so you get knee #1 to "step up to the plate". Sounds like you're getting that pain under control as well. You're doing good!!
 
@newlybionic I'm so happy you are doing well with your new knee. Sounds like you are well on your way to a great new life with 2 straight new knees.
 
Good morning! I pray your day is a lower pain day!
 
Hi! Feeling much better today. I've got my med schedule straightened out and I've set alarms on my phone for the different medications. I have been sleeping for 4 hours at a time, waking up to take some medications and if it's night time I've fallen back to sleep again. My daughter is worried that I'm not exercising enough and I don't keep my leg totally straight with it up using the three stack method. I asked her if she wanted to read everything on Bonesmart but she said I HAVE to do what the doctors say not to some people on the computer that I found.

She is worried leaving me on Tuesday so she can go back to work. Another daughter has offered to come out Tuesday and stay and work here on Wednesday. I've told her I should be ok by then but I will let her know. I have one other daughter who can also work from her if I needed her. Other than going to the grocery store every week or so until I can drive I can handle taking care of myself.

PT came this morning. She remembered my and my "attack" dogs.:puppysmooze: Who like to hug and lick people to death. She measured my knee (without her help) and I'm at 85 and 10. I'm not worried about either number at this point. My 'old' bionic knee has finally hit 0 extension. My OS told my daughter that he checked that knee when I was out and he was happy with it. PT measured it at 0, 128. The PA saw me last in the hospital and she told me they want my flex ion to be 110 at my three week check up or they would do a MUA. I won't even consider it at that point.

So next week the OT is coming once, the PT assistant is coming three times and the nurse may also come back too. I will not overdo anything. The PT told me to take it easy through the weekend. Straighten and and flex my leg a few times when I think of it and walk a little bit after going to the bathroom. So far so good. :ice:
 
How are you feeling today, @newlybionic? I'm super itchy too even though I had my first shower yesterday.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Luckily I have no itching anymore. I found out it was from a morphine derivative I had in my spinal. Apparently many people have the same reaction. There was a different medication they should have given me rather that Benadryl but somehow a few doses of Benadryl were used that knocked me out.

I hope you are doing well.
 
Thinking about you and sending good wishes. You know the routine, stick with it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Marian, I am so glad you are feeling much better today. You had quite a rough go of it at the hospital. Being at home is so much better! You can tell your daughter that these 'some people on the computer' are experienced knee replacement people and have been through exactly what you are going through, and that the doctors aren't! I'm proud of you sticking to your guns! Keep it up!
 
I can't blame my daughter too much on keeping my leg absolutely straight. When I had my original therapy the therapist I had then (who recently had gotten his doctorate in PT) made it a point to her and me it had to be straight at all times. He drilled that into my daughter that we fought over it because it hurt me so much. That occurred before I found Bonesmart. Every night I told her I had to have a slight bend in it or I would be in too much pain to sleep.

My 'dogsters' are on my lap taking a nap. Neither of them have hurt me at all and they are very careful when I'm walking around then with my walker. So far I'm progressing a little bit slower than I had wanted but I'm still getting better with each day.

I received my short term disability notice. My OS Office has already sent in my paperwork to them and as of now I can take off until July 10th. I'll re-examine that as time goes by. My boss would like me back sooner if possible and is willing to have me have an extra tech but I still have to give all the meds and assess everyone. I'll figure it out.
 
Things seem to be be going well, Marian. You know the right things to do.
I'm glad your PT therapist is helpful.

You know that your ROM will improve gradually. Take no notice of that PA who wants 110 at 3 weeks - that is ridiculous. He/she will be doing an imaginary MUA, because you won't be there!
Most OS's only want 90 by about 6 weeks and you're almost there already.

:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Great news about your DB being until July 10th. Take every bit of it. You earned it!
 
Sounds like your doing well! Keep applying the mantras. Stay comfortable. Rest.....
 
I had to laugh at the "some people you found on the internet" crack. I guess you decided not to argue that you are one of those "some people." Tee Hee. Pick your battles.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I got the same from my hubs. Why would I believe some invisible people from the internet over the nurses? Thanksfully, the PT backed up my elevation set up (basically the bone smart one) and he settled down about it. (The nurses just had the sheet rolled under my ankle.). Also the nurses said ice only 15 mins and I've been doing it near constantly. PT also backed me up on that.
 
Thank God I had a hospital staff that was wonderful. They kept ice on me all the time and let me elevate as much as I wanted. Now, you are back home and can do what you know works for you!
 
Had to laugh at your daughter's comment about the "people on the internet". In fact I don't think I could have kept a straight face at the PA's threat of MUA. Come on people! This is a first class BoneSmartie!

You are doing really well Marian. Keep up the great work!
 
The funny thing is since I am a nurse that I might be able to decide for myself (and this is my third knee replacement) which is medically the best way to recuperate.

I'm now having the usual constipation problem from taking my medications. I'm going to have to send my daughter out to the pharmacy to get some mirilax and possible some mag citrate. I've been using a softener all along but alas no new 'developments' have occurred. It's a week now since I've gone.
 
Well, as one of the "people on the computer" I can tell you Miralax worked for me. It got things moving, but you know nothing seems normal until the meds are done.
 
I just sent my hubs out for miralax. Note to newbies reading...get miralax beforehand. The colace and the Natures Calm hasn't done anything. Time for the big guns. Lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom