Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I took my initial dose of medications and I'm feeling more comfortable than at any time in the hospital. I've had a couple of accidents when I didn't get to the ladies room in time. I'm hoping that following a set schedule to get up and go will help me out. I'm having the opposite problem with having a BM. I'm taking some medications to help me with that problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wore a minipad those first few days when I was too slow to get there in time. They saved my clothes from being messed up. You could also get some Depends.
I can't believe how expensive your pain meds are! It makes absolutely no sense. I guess they want you off of them really soon!
 
Marian, I'm hoping you have an uneventful evening/night and able to get some sleep.
 
I'm not having any major pain right now. My ice machine is humming away. I'm still trying to devise a schedule of taking my pain medications that can keep me comfortable all day long. I am now taking OxyContin twice a day, oxycodone 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours. I just took my second oxycodone since I've been home. I will take it at every 4 hours for now. I just took 1. I'm scheduled to take tramadol and robaxin I an hour from now. Since my leg is finally elevated correctly the swelling is slowly going down. I hope I can at least get a few hours of sleep tonight.

I want to say thanks to all of you since you kept me from going insane in the hospital from all the pain. Bonesmart is indeed needed to provide support whether it's your first joint replacement or your third.
 
Once you get it under control you may be ok with 10 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours the first few weeks. Then save the Tramadol for later.
 
All they gave me was oxycodone and gabapentin. I hope it's enough. Glad your pain meds seem like they're finally working!
 
How are you doing this morning, Marian? Yes, this site is definitely needed! I'm glad it helped you in the hospital and so glad that the swelling is coming down. I still can't imagine why the hospital didn't let you elevate. How barbaric! Thank God you are home and can take care of your own self like you know how to do!
 
I'm doing much better than the last few days. I slept for 6 hours last night. I've been dozing on and off all day today. Having my knee elevated almost constantly is what is helping me a lot. I can't believe how much better being able to ice and elevate has really made such a big difference. I don't understand why they don't allow patients to elevate their knees. Keeping your leg straight out on bed or putting a pad under your heel makes everything that much worse. I'll once again put that in the patient survey.

I don't even need the heavy duty pain meds every 4 hours to keep my pain under control. I do take it at night and I do take the full amount if I feel my pain start getting higher. My dogs are being very gentle around me.

The home nurse is coming this afternoon to open my case. I don't need a nurse at all since I can tell if I need to contact the OS if there are any problems. After her the OT (occupational therapist) is going to come by to assess my ability to take care of my myself as far as getting to the ladies room and back and to get in and out of my recliner. Then I'll get PT to set up appointments. . I hope it's thre same people as last time,.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yippee!! I am so glad being home has relieved that awful pain of yours. We all were feeling so bad for you, and so helpless. Now, you know what you need and you can do it!
 
That's exactly what they did for me. A heel under a rolled up sheet. Since I've been home, I've had my leg angled on 3 pillows with constant ice from my polar cube. and so far so good. I can see the benefit of the sheet under the heel in a few weeks when we want to work on extension. But not now.
 
That soon after surgery, it's agony to have a rolled up towel under a heel. Why would they do that to anybody?
 
I'm glad you are feeling better at home. I had my RTKR yesterday and just got home an hour ago. I was having the itching like you from the spinal and t was miserable. I did Benadryl too and was so tired. The itching seems a little better now. They didn't elevate me either in hospital and I kept asking about it from what I've read here but they didn't seem to think it was necessary. I walked in the door to my house and started elevating and icing right away. I'm doing okay with pain (I think thanks to the polar care at the hospital) but still am not sure how to alternate the meds (tramadol and oxycodine. Guess my hubby and I will figure it out. I will follow you close because it's nice knowing someone is right ahead of me. Good luck to you in this!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad things are going better now you're at home, Marian.
If you don't feel you need the nurse, tell her so. Same for the OT and PT. You know enough to be able to do the few exercises you need, for the first month at least.

Have you tried doing trips to the bathroom every 90 minutes or so, before you feel you really need to "go"? Sometimes that will prevent those little accidents - until full control returns, which it will.
 
I e got to set up a schedule for my medications. My daughter is here until Tuesday and she is worried I will still be sleep during the day and not be able to take care of my self. I tried to assure her that it's ok for me to sleep right now and that it's ok that it's a little difficult to get up out of my chair to get to the bathroom. I've tried to go to the bathroom as soon as I wake up from a nap. I haven't had an accident all day. I am wearing a pad in case of any delays in getting there. My original bionic knee is just not used to being the strong leg. I always want to lead with the newest knee and that's when I'm having more pain.

I'm trying to get a schedule set up for my medications. I'll be on track tonight. It's just that my daughter gets upset if I show any pain or sleepiness. I told her just give me a few more days. The nurse and OT just gathered a bunch of info from me. They wanted to make sure I was elevating my knee enough. They went through my medications for my mental health issues and also pain meds. There are some that generate a warning when taken together that I am aware of and which a couple have been reduced where possible. I can contact my psychiatrist whenever I need to by cellpnone. She took a fall during our huge snow storm a few weeks ago and fractured her wrist. She had surgery then but needed additional surgery on the same day I just had mine because she 'had a couple of screws loose'. That's her humor.

The nurse will come a couple of more times. The OT said she will come once a week for three weeks. PT hasn't scheduled with me yet but it will be the same people I had last time who gave me some nice massages. I definitely will speak up if they cause me pain. I had enough of that in the hospital this time.
 
It sounds like you are off to a good start since you got home. I'm sure your daughter is just concerned about you, but I hope she will realize that you know what is best for you and your new knee. It sounds to me like you have a good handle on everything right now.
 
Sleep is the best thing you can do now, I hope your daughter understands that because trying to stay awake can be very difficult. :zzz:

If you have a good nurse, PT or OT it's not bad having them come, especially if they'll be there next week when your daughter is gone. I kept a garage door opener in my nesting basket and told the nurse etc to just honk and I'd open the garage door for them. It saved me getting up and them walking further in the cold and snow. You don't have the snow/cold to deal with, but it may be easier once your daughter is home again.
 
I just left my door unlocked for my nurse. I had her lock it when she left. Yes, Marian, sleep as much as you can. You know the routine well and that you are healing more when you are sleeping.
 
Sending you loving healing thoughts . I just caught up with your tkr and hospital events. I'm so sorry you had such a tough time with getting your pain under control. I got to thinking about my surgery aftermath and I didn't have my leg elevated either now that I think about it. They did have the ice machine going all along and meds came pronto.
Resting at home feels so good. I too was a "wetter" when I got home. My son was kind to do wash everyday for a while after my surgery. It got better, but I did have some wet pj bottoms often. The best thing about the pain and other issues, in time, it will be better.
Here is my healing hug for tonight....rest well dear friend.
 
Back
Top Bottom