Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I was probably a bit harsh about your daughter, Marian, and I apologise for that. These mother-daughter relationships sure can get complicated!

I'm sure you'll be able to manage fine on your own. You're competent and capable and you will be able to take your time, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Do make sure you have that first shower while your daughter is still with you. After that first one, you will have enough confidence to shower without help. Ask her to pick up your next lot of pain meds as well, and stock up any groceries you need. Will one of your daughters be able to take you to your post-op appointment?
 
I was thinking he same thing about your shower. You may not feel like it today, but do it while your daughter is still there.
 
The PT assistant came for a visit. I told her about my slip yesterday and she thought it would be a good idea to take it easy today and see if they extra time resting it will help it feel better. She suggested that I call the OS if the pain doesn't start to dimish in a couple of days. We got into the discussion about how difficult it is to get pain meds. If I were taking full doses, as written, I would only have about 1 weeks worth of meds. That included the 'extra' tablets the PA ordered I had specifically asked her to give me enough to last until my first office visit on May 10th. Once again it's the patients with real pain that can't get the medication while the drug addicts will find ever they need.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Marian, do you have a friend who can pick up another script for you and bring the meds so you can take what you need now? Maybe a co-worker?
 
I live in such a rural area that no one I work with lives anywhere close to me or my OSand pharmacy. It could easily take someone three to four hours to accomplish that trip plus they are all working full time. I'm considering calling the OS to get a new script mailed to me but I'm not sure if legally that is permissible.

I'm writing up a grocery list for my daughter so she will pick it up for me before she leaves. She is washing up all my clothes/scrubs and putting away anything I won't be wearing in the near future. The dogs were even groomed yesterday.

My middle daughter is lined up to take me to my OS office on May 10th. So I have as much covered as I can for now.
 
Last June, here in Virginia, my OS mailed me a prescription since his office is over an hour away and I couldn't drive yet. Who knows if he can do that now or not!? You know how the few are hurting the many!
 
I've sent a message to my OS through their patient portal and I'm waiting for their reply. They usually get back in a couple of hours. I'm not sure if he had any surgeries today. If I can get it mailed here then I have someone who can fill it for me.

The nurse came today. Really there is no reason for it at all. She did my vital signs and a quick physical assessment. She asked about my pain levels and I told her about my pain med situation. She did call my OS Office to ask about the clear tape on my wound. It's not to be removed until my office visit. There are no staples present which is a change from my other surgeries.

After she left I thought I would try to go up my steps to my room and shower. I have double banisters on the bottom half and then then just on one side. I was going to just try the bottom ones but my daughter was right there for me and I did get all the way up. I used my cane on the steps but I needed the walker upstairs and into the bathroom. I truly enjoyed my shower.:bath: I used my shower seat and I was glad that I had the forsesight several years ago to redo my bath to a shower.

Going down the stairs was very difficult. My 'good' knee still isn't ready at times to lead. I became very shaky and frightened but my daughter was the step ahead of me and just grabbed me and hugged me until I felt ready to continue down the stairs. I was glad that she was here with me. I don't think I will want to go up and down steps with PT at all. I will wait until one of my girls come back out to see me before I try that again.

My lower leg is very bruised on the inner part it's that lovely yellowish color and a bit darker towards the bottom. I will try to post a picture later on. I'm very tired after my trip to the shower and I'm ready for a long nap.
 
I'm glad you got your shower. Remember, you can go down the stairs backwards if that makes it a little easier, but it would be best if you had someone with you no matter which way you go until you feel steadier. Those hugs sound like they were just what you needed.

I hope you enjoyed your nap.
 
That first shower is a little bit of heaven! The rest of your day should be spent resting, elevating, icing. After you asked so much of your knees on those stairs, they may be a bit irritated. I hope you get the medication situation settled soon.
 
Like Jean, I went downstairs backward after surgery. My bad left knee and new TKR made it hard but backwards with a cane wasn't too bad. I sort of leaned into the cane as I went down.
 
I went down stairs backwards for over 20 years. It is very much easier than forwards. Thank the Lord you got that shower! Now, take a nice long nap! Later!
 
Had my OS mail me a Refill prescription as I am 1.5 hrs away and they can't call a narcotic in. I got it the day after I called. Hope you are feeling better!
 
I'm glad you managed the stairs and the shower. That first shower feels great, doesn't it? It's worth feeling wiped out for the rest of the day.

Your daughter did just the right thing when helping you with the stairs. It's a good idea to come down backwards if it feels easier. I also found that coming down sideways was easier than forwards. The ability to do it the "right " way will come, as both knees heal more.
 
I received a message back from my OS saying they don't mail scripts but in the case they will make an exception. It still will take take a friend to go to the Post Office since I don't have delivery to my house and then go to the pharmacy 15 miles away. I am feeling a bit better since I now am taking the full prescription strength as ordered.

I tried backwards but that was just too difficult for me as was trying to step down side wards. It will just take me some time to feel comfortable again. After my other two surgeries it was three weeks before I made it up there and this is 8 days so I should be happy with that. I need to re-adjust my attitude.
 
Slowly, Slowly, and you'll get there!
You're doing very well and I'm glad you've got your medication prescription sorted out.
 
I did sideways instead of backward (I'd heard backward worked well but never needed it for me). I'm thankful your OS decided to mail the new script to you. I waited three weeks after each of my knees before I did the stairs. I could have done it if I'd had to, but I wanted to focus on more important things in the healing process. You've been dealing with a lot. Things will come together for you. You're doing great.
 
I had to do the stairs right away which is why I went to rehab so I could go up with the good but went down backwards. I only had to do it 3 days a week at first to leave the house.

I'm so glad they're sending you a script! What a relief!
 
I just received a message from the PA who wrote my pain med script. She apologized but also said she wasn't comfortable writing for 250 oxycodone 5mg tablets. In stead she only wrote for 80. I'm not sure but can't the script for a controlled substance have refills on it?

Now that I have finally starting to get ahead of the pain I'm getting around a bit better. This is probably the lowest my pain level has been since I've had my surgery. I'm currently at a 5 but have been constantly 8 or above.
 
This is a discussion I'm having with my OS before I have the left knee done. It's just ridiculous that you have had major surgery and can't get pain medication.
 
Back
Top Bottom