Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I tried everything, but the poop fairy wouldn't visit me until I sent my husband on an emergency run to the Urgent Pharmacy for a do-it-myself mini enema. That did the trick!
 
Miralax for me. I bought a 3-pack from Sam's and used two of them! One left for emergencies!
 
Well I had my daughter get me some Chinese food for dinner because that naturally 'moves' things along for me. No sooner than she handed me a plate I had to get to the ladies room. I finally went a bit and at the same time I started to vomit. Fortunately I have a waterproof can lined with a plastic bag in it. To say I felt miserable was to put it mildly. I hadn't been feeling any nausea at all post op so I haven't been taking my zofran. Needless to say I finally got back to my recliner and she helped me get situated. I immediately took my zofran. She's worry that she won't be able to leave me on Tuesday. I've been trying to reassure her I will be fine. I will take a trip up to my bathroom and take a shower before she leaves. I rather she was there and not at PT or OT. I remember after my other surgeries I had to take a nap in my bed before having enough energy to get back downstairs to my nest.
 
Poor Marian! That was rotten for you. :console2: :friends:
However, now you're back on the Zofran it shouldn't happen again. I found I had to keep taking Zofran regularly until I was off all narcotics - as well as a daily dose of an aperient. Those narcotics really do slow down your gut.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: DLR
Ugh! A shower will feel good for sure and should help you sleep tonight from pure exhaustion. Are you sleeping in bed or the recliner?
 
I've been sleeping in my bed for almost two years now because of knee pain both pre op and post op. My plan is to eventually sleep back up in my own bedroom.

:dead: I had a tough night last night. My daughter got very worried about me. Every time I had to go to the ladies room and would wind up drenched by the time I got there. I've been scheduling to go every 90 minutes during the day and night. My daughter didn't leave any clean clothes in my bathroom down here so I had to call,her whenever I had an accident. I stopped taking the muscle relaxer last night and it's making a difference.

I switched from zofran to a scopalamine patch which will help my nausea for three days. I did get a few hours of sleep last night but I want to take a nap or two. It seems that my daughter asks me every half hour if I'm ok. If I move a bit and grimace at all she ready to go into panic mode. I'm at least going to take a full bed bath in my half shower. I think that rather wait a few more days. I've been using baby wipes with aloe to clean my 'special' areas clean but I'm ready for head to toe scrub.
 
My first shower was a pure blessing from God. It felt so good! But, boy was I exhausted afterwards. I hope that you can sleep like a baby tonight after your blessing shower!
 
Enjoy that shower, Marian. It's a good idea to have a chair nearby, to sit on while you dry yourself.
 
I'm not feeling very well today. My left knee isn't handling being the big sister yet. I'm still nauseous on and off and I'm hurting too much to give it a try. There's always tomorrow to get upstairs. I have everything up there I need.

I haven't been taking all my pain meds because I'll run out before I get back to my OS if I took full doses until then. I am taking the OxyContin 20mg every twelve hours. I could take oxycodone 5mg 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours. I've been only taking one every 4-5 hours.

I also have Tramadol 50mg I can take every six hours.

The muscle relaxer (robaxin) I've stopped taking because it was causing me to be incontinent of urine.

I'm also on aspirin 325mg twice a day but it's starting to hurt my stomach. I'm going to cut that to once a day so I don't have start developing an ulcer. I am taking the enteric coated form and I have some medication to keep my stomach from burning too much.
 
I'm sorry you are having a bad day and wish your med schedule was a bit easier for you. It seems a bit unstructured and must be adding to your pain.
 
@Josephine is on line now. Let's ask her if she can suggest some adjustments to your pain meds, so you feel a bit better.
 
am taking the OxyContin 20mg every twelve hours. I could take oxycodone 5mg 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours. I've been only taking one every 4-5 hours. I also have Tramadol 50mg I can take every six hours.
I suggest you concentrate on the Tramadol. Here is the regimen I worked out for myself and used for both knees with great effect. Why not give it a try? (paracetamol is Tylenol)

[Bonesmart.org] Right knee has been replaced
 
I don't have enough tramadol to take 100mg doses before I go back to the OS. Even if he would call it in to the pharmacy I have no way of getting it. Last year one of my daughters had to take a day off to get the script and then bring up here to take it to the pharmacy to have it filled. I made it a point to ask for enough but I was given any more tramadol. The PA did give me an extra 20 oxycodone. So I had 80 of then and if I took two every 4 hours it wouldn't even last 9 full days at that strength. They are all too frightened by the state medical board about prescribing limits.

I went to get up before and my leg slipped out from under me and my new knee took the brunt of the pain. I didn't fall. I just yelped and fell back into my recliner. My daughter got so upset she was crying and decided to go to her room for the rest of the night. She gets me very upset. I'm still trying to use my good knee but it's just not ready to take over all the time. I've been working at that. I have a PT coming out tomorrow afternoon and I will ask her help. Between the lack of pain control, intermittent nausea and usual GI disturbances with constipation I'm just tired of it all.
 
Why not take the oxycodone for now to get and keep the pain under control, then the Tramadol when the oxy is gone? The 12 hour would be great for overnight.
 
It makes me sick that the people that really need adequate pain meds can't get enough because of a few drug abusers. Those abusers will get the pills one way or the other. We need to fight this somehow. I am so sorry you are going through all this Marian. I will be continuing to be praying for your relief in all areas.
 
I'm sorry you had that slip and hurt your new knee, Marian. I hope the pain is starting to ease off now.

It's not very helpful that your daughter gets all upset. It's time for her to put on her big-girl pants and realise that this is about you, not about how she feels. When you're not well, she has to be the adult, so she can help you.

When do you go back to your OS? Maybe after that, you will be able to manage on your own?
 
Sorry to hear you are having to go through this with pain medications, :console2:.
Hope you have your meds figured out soon.
 
You might be better off with your daughter gone. It sounds like you're stressing out worrying about upsetting her. These ups and downs are, unfortunately, normal. If your daughter would just stay calm and let you tell her what you need, instead of you having to comfort her.

I took anti-motion sickness pills along with my Zofram. That really helped my nausea. Also, drinking a small amount of a protein drink before taking my pain meds was a help, too. I pray you get these awful days under control today!
 
Week 1 is in the books. I'm already growing impatient with my pain. When I slipped yesterday I developed some additional swelling in my new knee. My left knee now is also swollen and I'm having a hard time getting it to pull its share now. The PT is coming out later today. I'm hurting so much I won't be doing very much.

I finally have my GI tract flowing freely again. It was too long a period without 'going' for me. Now I have to establish a game plan to keep this fine balance. Having IBS doesn't help.

My youngest is going to be leaving to go back home tomorrow night. She's concerned that I won't be able to take care of myself when she's gone. I have lots of quick thinks to eat and can grab them and bring them to my recliner to eat. She's seeing me sleep more today than the previous few. She thinks I'm sleeping through the night but I'm up at least every few hours to use the ladies room, let my dogs out to go and taking pain medications. I told her that the fact I'm sleeping means I'm in less pain and she should like to see me be able to relax.

I never made it upstairs for my shower since I want to get my knees a break after yesterday's slip. I have some shower cap with leave in conditioner and I'll wash it tonight. I need my daughter to set up my laundry baskets that holds one clean and one dirty. My washer and dryer are off my family room which makes it easy to do the laundry.
 
With you finally going, you will probably start to feel better all over!

I can relate to IBS. I have it, too. Not fun. Any little thing can us to get out of wrack.

You'll be fine without your daughter. You are experienced and know what to do and what not to do!
 
Back
Top Bottom