Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Welcome to the other side again Marian! Keep on top of those meds and ask for ice. Hope that itching eases.
 
Marian, we are all here rooting and praying for you! If I were you I'd pull that rolled up towel from under my knee if it hurts. Thank God they didn't put it under your heel. That was agony when I tried it! When are you going home? Oh yeah, only 5mg of Oxy is really low. Don't let that pain take over!
 
Take good care! I'm an April rainbow and my left knee is 2 weeks old today. The past 2 days I have noticed a positive shift. Hang in there, rest, elevate and ice. In 2 weeks, if not sooner, you'll be feeling good again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I knew you'd do well! These next few days will be a roller coaster, but you're off to a positive start.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today I hwoke up very early with a lot of pain. I've been taking 5 mg oxycodone every 6 hours they are in the process of making it 2 every four. I also have tramadol and Tylenol. The Celebrex the OS prior to the surgery is also continuing for the rest of a month post op. My OS is using Aspirin as a blood thinner. I've got to be careful with both of them because I have problems with NSAIDs. I did get a script for protonyx if I need it.

Went to PT today in the hospital. They are pushing me to do more than I am doing. Once again some of the nurses chose to give me Benadryl. Then they wonder why I won't even get up. I've got an order for protonix to help save my stomach from too much acid buildup.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the ups and downs of the first few days. Only do what you feel like you can easily do in PT, say no to anything else.
Take care,
 
I'm glad you're doing well. Continue to hold out against doing too much exercise.

Marian, do beware of using Celebrex along with Aspirin. Both have blood-thinning properties, Aspirin being an NSAID as well..
It might be worth considering not taking the Celebrex until you've finished the course of Aspirin.
 
Don't let that ole mean PT hurt your brand new baby knee!
 
I'd think you need more than 5mg of oxycodone at this point. Hope they go with 10mg real soon.
 
Oxycodone was upped to every four hours. I think the dose is 10 mg now. I still had a lot of pain after that so my nurse just brought me 600 mg of Ronbaxin, tramadol 50 and Tylenol 500mg. They've need doing a good job keeping the ice wraps on my knee. I have a severe ache all the way around my knee. I did get up out of bed to go to the bathroom and then walked down to the PT department. We used the Nustep machine. I'm finding that the pain behind my knee is the worst. I've tried ice there but it made no difference.​

This time the OS used a special see through tape to close the incision co there is no staples for me!!:yes!:
He used a drain for my knee that came out this morning. I don't see any bruising present as of now. I'm going to try to eat a bit of dinner now. I only had about 5 bites of a very cold eggs this morning.​
 
Ugh, cold eggs are horrible! I tend to gobble eggs so they don't get cold. Did the drain coming out hurt?
 
You are walking a lot, it sounds like! Great that they are trying control your pain better. I pray you are able to sleep tonight.
 
Since some of the nurses gave me Benadryl for my itching caused by duamorph which was used in the spinal anaesthesia e en though I asked them not to I was pretty out of it when the drain came out. As far as I can recall it didn't hurt. I had another med oredered for my itchiness that wouldn't knock me out. If is an I've med so when they gave me the IV Benadryl I though they were giving me the other one. From now on I'm going to list Benadryl as an allergy so no one gives it to me again.
 
I hope the other med takes care of that itching. I can't do Benedryl either. It causes me to itch! Funny!
 
I am allergic to Benedryl! Causes my face to swell up. My doc put me on Celebrex and Asa 325, both twice a day. Was already taking 20 mg Nexium but have had to up that to 40 mg. once that pain gets under control you will feel better! Sending healing thoughts your way!
 
I'm up and in pain. I'm at a 10 and crying. I just was given tramadol 50mg and tylenol 5O0mg and also Robaxin ( I'm not sure of the dose.). My legs aren't elevated so I've kept out to the side a little so it's not perfectly straight. The nursing assistant came in and told me it had to be perfectly straight or my leg would not heal right. I told her not to touch it because it was hurting too much. Well she went ahead and did it anyway. I let out a scream and I've been crying now for 10 minutes. I don't know why she even touched me when I said no. It's actually illegal to do that. She ran out the room very quickly.
 
((((((((((Marian))))))))))

Make sure you complain about that nursing assistant - and keep leaning on your bell until they find a combination that will keep your pain under control.

Is there any way that you can get your leg elevated? Be the squeaky gate, until you get what you need. Get the pain controlled and then get home, to where you can set your own rules.
 
How dare she go against your wishes! I would complain loudly! Who is her boss? Praying you get that pain controlled.
 
I just re-read your last post and see that you were up when that NA moved your leg against your will. Don't let them sit you up in a chair again. When you aren't walking or making bathroom trips, your place should be in bed, resting and elevating your leg. And whoever heard of sitting with a totally straight knee, unless it was properly elevated?

Get your pain control sorted out and go home - are you sure that doing too much exercise and doing injudicious things like sitting up in a chair aren't contributing to that pain?. I was in hospital for 5 days after my last TKR and for the first 3 days I did nothing, except walk to and from the bathroom. My leg was so swollen that it wouldn't bend at all and it certainly couldn't do any exercises except ankle pumps. But by Day 5, Some of the swelling had gone and the leg moved more readily.
 
I'm so sorry, Marian! I was in that kind of pain on day 2, nothing touched the pain except an IV push of Toradol. My head was down, laying on a tray when a friend came in, saw me and much like a movie went out to the nurses station demanding I have something for the pain. I was in too much pain to even advocate for myself. You may need something to get over the hump.
 
Back
Top Bottom