Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

Raise cain about that nursing assistant touching your leg when you told her not to! Threaten to have her arrested for abuse! Maybe that will make her think before she touches another patient that tells her, "NO!"! Like Celle said, go home as soon as you get your meds straightened out. You know how to take care of yourself and are much better off there! I am praying for your relief.
 
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to advocate for myself. My knee and lower leg is very swollen. No one here will allow me to elevate it. They keep trying to get me to put a small pillow under my knee. That makes the pain a whole lot worse. The PA came by this morning and she is going to add Oxycontin to the oxycodone, tramadol and Tylenol. I also asked her to write the prescriptions for at least the time span from when I leave the hospital until my appointment with the on May 10th. She also told me that they want me to flex my leg to 110 degrees when I come in on that date. She agreed with me that I look very swollen but didn't do anything about it except telling me to sit in a chair where my legs flex to 90 degrees. I told her that with swelling I can't bend it very far.

For whatever reason I am really hurting. The medical doctor told me I shouldn't go home until my pain is under control. He also told me that I would have to stop IV pain meds. I guess he didn't look at my chart because I haven't had anything IV since the first day post op. If I can just get home and elevate my leg properly I'm sure I would be feeling much better.
 
Marian this is just the worst nightmare! Please don't worry about flexing your leg in the future. Focus on getting that pain management cocktail right. Then you are out of there and can do the right thing.

Does the foot of your hospital bed raise? Can you get some ice or an ice pack?
 
I do have ice packs that they change out for me whenever it's no longer cold. The foot of the bed is locked out of letting me elevate it at all. I had this same experience last time and I complained then to my OS, his PA and to the hospital itself. It fell on deaf ears.i just want to get out of here but I have to pass PT evaluation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I could cry for you, not that it would help. I don't understand not elevating the leg. Not sure what you can do about that, but at least they must help you get your pain under control. May that happen soon!
 
I have been cleared by PT. I've gone through all the paper work for discharge. My prescription for oxycodone says I can take one or two every 4 hours. I asked the PA to write for the script so I could make it through to my post op visit on May 10th. She wrote for 80 pills which is 40 doses. So if I take it every 4 hours I'll still run out well before the office visit. I did get some OxyContin too. I've never took that before so I don't know how well it might help me. I also have robaxin and tramadol. I also have a prescription for zofran for nauseousness which I have started to experience.
 
I found that anti-motion sickness pills helped my nausea. I'd take one of two about 15 minutes before the Oxy.
I'm so glad you're going home. That's the best place for you!
 
I have scopalomine patches at home which can help the nauseousness. I just had a accident trying to get to the bathroom. As soon as I stood up I started to pee and left a trail into my bathroom. It was very embarrassing to me. I asked for some warm wipes and towels to clean up with. They gave me a plastic bag for my wet clothes. I remember after my revision I was on a muscle relaxer that can affect the bladder muscle tone.

My nurse has given me the oxycodone and tramadol so it will be in me for my trip home. I can't wait to fire up my ice machine and really get my knee elevated.
 
Pain along with the meds is bound to make you nauseous. So glad you are heading home!

Those accidents are so embarrassing. But you can't move as fast as you need to and coupled with all the meds they just happen. Worry not - you will soon be home.
 
Great to hear you are going home! I found taking 7.5 mg hydrocodone alternating with 2 Tramadol every 2.5 hrs kept my pain under control. I hope you find the right combination soon!
 
Congratulations on knee 3! Take good care and don't over do! We're all pulling for you. Your job is rest, elevate and ice!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've read of a few other members having the same bathroom problem. Hopefully you'll be home in your recliner tonight.
 
I'm finally home. I couldn't stand to be there another day. I've got an ice pack on my knee with it elevated toes above nose. A lot of the pain I have been suffering is because of how swollen it is. My daughter just left to pick up my prescriptions. Now my local pharmacy won't take my insurance so my daughter has to travel 40 miles round trip to get my meds filled. Im due to take some meds now and my pain is quickly increasing.
 
With you elevating I bet that swelling will be going down. I pray your daughter can get your meds back to you really quickly. Do you have an ice water circulating machine? Did you get the wrappings off? My PA took my off before I left the hospital.
 
I'm glad you're at home now, Marian. Things should look up from now on. You'll be able to control your activity, rest, icing and elevation, and take your meds according to a schedule that works. With proper elevation, your swelling should decrease and your leg become more comfortable.

I don't understand why they kept wanting to put a pillow behind your knee in hospital. I was always taught that was an absolute no-no and could increase the risk of a DVT.

Don't worry about the bathroom accident - it happens to a lot of people. I wet the bed after one of my surgeries.

Also, you know not to worry about what the PA said about requiring a ROM of 110 - your knee knows what it's doing and it will get there in its own schedule.

Best wishes for a much more comfortable time than you've had up to now. :friends:
 
I was in an immobilizer and in the hospital 4 nights after my first kneecap removal. The OS wouldn't let me up the first couple of days, so I had to use a bed pan. One of those times, I turned it over on the bed. Now, that was embarrassing, too! I bet all of us could have some real stories to tell!
 
My daughter returned with my medications that still cost me $500 dollars. I can't believe they were so expensive. They didn't have generic oxyxontin and the pharmacist said he hadn't seen any prescription for quite a while. So the only one he had was $360 for one months worth. I took my men's and set an alarm for the next dose tonight. My stomach isn't happy right now. I got a zofran prescription that cost $75. The others were just small copay. How ridiculous this is. I'm supposed to take aspirin twice a day as a blood thinner. I have to go find my coated aspirin along with my protonix to help my stomach.
 
Glad you were able to get your meds....it would help if they would give us the prescriptions before surgery so we could have it already with any issues worked out ahead of time! You have had a time of it...hang in there...
 
You have really had a time of it! I sincerely hope that now that you are home and have your (ridiculously overpriced) meds that things will turn around soon. You are the expert when it comes to your knee, so do what you know is right and don't worry about anyone else. Best wishes for a better night tonight.
 
Back
Top Bottom