Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

It's now three weeks since my surgery. My stamina is at an all time low. The pain meds make me feel a bit dizzy. The one step into my kitchen is difficult for me to step up onto it. I try to fill my bag with food, new ice wraps and anything else I need and try to not make that trip to often. It's a bit oversized. The same thing going down the stair. Fortunately my bathroom is on the same level as my family room. I feel like I've taken a couple of steps backwards. Fortunately I'm napping on and off. I think that's what I need to do now.
 
At 3 weeks you are still in the "trying to figure this all out" stage. I took frequent naps (and I'm not a napper). Just go with it and don't try to do ANYTHING but rest, ice and elevate! You have plenty of time ahead of you to do other things.

I'm at 7 weeks today for my revision I told my husband my goal from today on is to get a shower every day :heehee:
 
Marian, you're probably feeling that way because you're finally able to take your meds as prescribed and you're feeling the effects.
I have an extra big step coming in/out of the outside kitchen door so I got a stepping stone to make it not as big and easier. Is that something your daughter could pick up for you when she comes Wednesday?
 
KarriB, that's a good idea. I was thinking of maybe some kind of table or chair that could be put right at the step where you could push up on with your arms as you're stepping up or down, Marian. How about going up and down backwards? I had to do that to get on my screened-in porch from the house 'cause it has no handrails. There are three steps there and was really spooky looking forward. I had to get down there to clean out the litter boxes.
 
Yeah the 2 steps up my fri t porch are harder than the 16 steps to get upstairs bc there's no handrail. I always have to stop and navigate how I'm going to do it.
 
So happy to hear you did it. I had my left knee done 2011. My knee is still doing great. You will be so happy you got it done. Have a great recovery. God Bless

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
 
I think Karri has a good idea about the step down. I am at week 10 now and still find myself wanting a nap in the afternoon, even more if I have gone out to do anything. Come 4pm and I am napping:)
 
Hope those naps are given you more strength?! X


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm finally able to stay awake long enough to write on my thread here. Wednesday night I had emergency surgery on tight TKR because it was oozing a lot of thickened reddish stuff and a lot of it. In surgery the OS washed out the knee replaced the spacer and also left antibacterial beads. I was in a lot of pain before surgery and after it was even worse. I took a variety of pain meds post of. Finally the the pain was a bit better and under control.

Sleepiness is really pronounced even now. OS said it was having both surgery close together and fighting off an infection

Bother my liver and kidney function are out of whack. The liver is improving and the think it was from the Cipro I was taking. My kidneys have a slight improvement so far. The cultures are growing and the ID will know by Monday. He knows the 'family', He can fine tune it.
 
Oh my! IT def explains how much pain you've been in. Im hoping this infection is now getting wiped out and you can get on with the business of healing!
 
So happy to hear from you, Marian! The energy drain is tremendous, so I hope you are able to sleep as much as possible. For me the lack of focus was more pronounced also. The washout leaves you with very sore, tender soft tissue. Mine was wrapped tightly with ace bandages and that seemed to help. I'm so glad the infectious disease dr is on top of the cultures growing as well as tracking your liver and kidney functions.
 
Had my Picc line placed just now. My OS may have to do another wash out to remove the antibacterial beads placed into my knee. I'm not sure when that might be done.

PT has been awful. I have a lot of pain in my knee and my quads aren't working at all. I am not able to bend it at all. They want me to sit in a chair where my knee would be bent. I asked if there was a way to elevate my leg and they put a pillow under my foot. It was not helpful and I wanted to vomit from the pain. My blood pressure went through the roof. So they decided to get me back into the bed. I'm just so frustrated. I still have a Foley catheter and also a drain from my knee. The OS took off the dressing so I got to see the incision. It is closed with stitches and looks red.
 
You are in our thoughts Marian! Hang in there my friend!
 
The first time they got me up I cried out and sobbed, Marian. Don't feel badly about your reaction. There's no way you should be doing therapy with an infection, a foley or even sitting in a chair, especially if he's going to open the leg up again. I only walked back and forth to the bathroom for 2 days and then PT came on day 3 for a short walk and to see if I could do stairs. Do you have one drain or two? My drains stayed in until they fell out around day 5-6.

Did they already identify the bacteria?
 
Why do so many hospitals not know how to elevate our legs??? I'm so angry that they all seem to think a pillow or towel under our foot is anything more than a stretching exercise. I keep reading this and am angry fir everyone.
 
Back
Top Bottom