Knee Infection* Right knee has been replaced

I should have enough pain medication until my daughter comes back Wednesday. I do have two more scripts for pain meds. One of my girls can come back over the weekend if I think I'm running short and they can go to my own pharmacy. When I don't feel well I rather just be on my own.

I've been trying to get comfortable but I haven't been able to do so. If the PT calls I'm going to tell her I want to wait until next week. Right now my dogs and I are sitting in my recliner. I've got my ice machine going and I've been trying to fall asleep. So far I haven't been able to.
 
Oh, Marian, I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. I can empathize with you over the fluid drain. I had to have it done after my first kneecap removal. He even squeezed my knee trying to get all the blood out. It was excruciating. With all your new meds, your fluid buildup should cut way down. I am praying that your infection test comes back negative and your pain lessons considerably. We are all here for you.
 
Oh, Marian, I am so sorry. I am praying with everyone else that the culture comes back negative and that removing the fluid helps your pain levels. Rest, take those meds, and get better {hugs}
 
I had a tough night.:swoon: I had a lot of problems trying to sleep. I've been taking my meds around the clock. I'll try to count them to see how many I have and to see how long they will last. I started the antibiotic last night and the steroids this morning. I've been feeling nauseous and I'm taking zofran. I may need a new script before I go back. The physical therapist called last night and I told her to call me Monday to see how I'm feeling. I'm just trying to rest today. I may call when I my daughters to see if they can come Sunday. I haven't been eating well at all. Between having to get up to get food and having no appetite I've just not been able to get anything thing.

I'm also having some incontinence problems. My bathroom is seriously only 5 steps away but at lot of the times I wind up peeing. Then I have laundry to do. Fortunately that's very close too.
 
Can you drink protein drinks? At least you'd get some nourishment in you and they would help with the nausea. Does anything to eat sound good to you? Ask your neighbor to get it for you. You need protein to aid in healing.

As someone suggested earlier, go pee every time you get up whether you feel like you have to or not.

It's too early for you to try and do laundry. You should wait and let your daughter do it. That knee of yours needs to heal. I think you've been doing too much all along. I remember also, that your daughter wouldn't let you sleep during the day. That hindered your healing. Sleep all you can.

I'm praying for you!
 
Uff da (Norwegian for "OH DARN!!"). Use disposable undergarments, seal a soiled one in a plastic bag for the garbage, is my suggestion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I too am going to suggest a "leakage" pad such as Poise or Always. They hold an amazing amount of urine (don't ask how I know), come in different absorbencies, can be bought in any drug or grocery store, and are comfortable to wear. Discreet, except under bikini bottoms, and effective. I'm bringing some with me to hospital and rehab.
 
Oh Marian!! I'm so sorry to read you're not having a good time at all. I really hope there is no infection! I hope you can get on top of the pain with the additional pain killers.

I had some incontinence issues too, I think mine was leaving to last minute and then not giving myself enough time.

I ate a lot of fruit in the first weeks (had a bowl of fruit in reach of my chair and bed) and snack packs of nuts, dried fruit and popcorn, Crackers with spread (Jarred things I could carry in my bag and sit and put together)
Juice packs were easy to grab for an alternative to water too.

Putting it out to the universe that things get better quickly for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My favorite anti nausea trick I've learned is to eat one of those applesauce pouches with my narcotics. It's small serving, easy to keep by the bedside for middle of the night and it really helped. I've even done 1/2 pouch and it still helped.
 
I am using pads to try to help. I get up every one and a half hours all day and night long. I also have large pads on my recliner. I either have very loose shorts on when some is here on just 'granny pants' with a large oversized tee shirt when I'm alone.

I can't really eat anything. Nothing appeals to me and I continue to fight nausea. I drink water and some warm coke which helps my nausea. I have been eating some diced peaches in 100% juice and plain breadsticksticks. Occasionally I can eat some string cheese. My daughter would had made or gotten anything before she left last night but I knew I couldn't get anything down. My fridge and freezer are full with food and ready made dinners. There's los of fresh fruit but after I bite or two I've been throwing it out. I'm going to ask her to come back on Sunday to try to get my pain meds filled.

My youngest feels like it's her fault because she could only stay with me my first week post op. I've assured her it wasn't. My oldest has called and told me if I need her to give her a call. So all of them are rallying around me.
My middle daughter saw me so upset and crying yesterday. It really frightened her because none of them had seen me like that. I liked my OS so much yesterday because he gave me a very warm hug and apologized for hurting me. It's rare you find doctors like that anymore
 
Try a few sips of the applesauce. It really was the only thing I could eat without feeling worse for those rough days. Narcotics are such a double edged sword. So helpful for pain, but so hard on the gut. If the zofran isn't working, can you ask for the patch?
 
Butter crackers or Ritz with each medication kept my nausea down. The only thing That tasted ok for me was meatballs and spaghetti sauce. Any thing else was like trying to eat sawdust! Hope you find what works for you.
 
Marian, my revision doc was tha same way! When I was seeing him twice a week in the midst of fighting the infection he hugged me at the end of every visit. Then after I was doing well and seeing him every month one of the nurses said, "Dr P was so worried about you." It felt good knowing that they had discussed my progress.
 
Dry ginger ale to sip on for nausea?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I called my pharmacy and they said it should be no problem to get my hydrocodone refilled this weekend. When my daughter goes there I will get my scopalamine patches refilled. I have them left from my cruise. Maybe it will work better than the zofran for now. I really need to get some sleep. I'm exhausted. I'm starting to get on top of the pain so hopefully I can get some sleep soon. I'm jealous of my dogs who have been sleeping most of the day away.

I talked to my friend and she can come over if I need her. Maybe I'll let her come tomorrow. X-rays showed the prosthesis is place correctly. I just seem to always want to take the bumpy path when it's come to my knee replacements.

Thank you for your kind words. It helps me a lot to hear from my friends here. I'm going to try to catch up on everyone's threads in a bit.
 
Getting on top of the pain and the nausea will help a lot. It's a good idea to try the Scopolamine patches again, since the Zofran isn't cutting it.
You do sound a little bit better and I'm glad about that. :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
I agree with Celle, you do sound better. I think maybe you know there is a light at the end of this tunnel even if you can't see it clearly yet. I hope the patch works better than the Zofran, you will see a big improvement once you can get some nutrition in you, I think.
 
I actually have been able to get a few hours of sleep at a time. My pain levels are now down to a 5 from where it's been hovering 8 or above consistently. The area where the incision is slightly opened had been stinging a lot has started to itch more than sting. There was only minimal reddish drainage on the dressing. I replaced it with a sterile dressing.

I'm have muscle spasms in the quad and the robaxin has been helping. The steroids seem to be taking down the inflammation and the swelling is dropping. It's been too painful to use ice because I couldn't tolerate having anything touching it. Not even a soft towel is helping. I'm also doing more walking around my house and putting my full weight on my knee.

I found some scopalime patches left over from my trip in January. That has helped the nausea. When they took fluid from my knee at the OS Office they did a cell count and it is also being cultured. According to the PA who sent me a message late yesterday the WBCs were elevated but no more than what the would have expected in a surgical knee.

I do think I finally have made some forward progress. Prior to this after I went to the kitchen or back my pain levels were off the chart. Now I'm handling it better. I plan on trying to catching up on my sleep. Finally defrosting a frozen dinner than has a good amount of protein.
 
Yay! May you continue to make positive progress! Such a good update.
 
I am so glad your are finally feeling better! It has been a rough two months for you and now, you are finally seeing improvement!
 
Back
Top Bottom