Knee Infection Revision Due to Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, you won't believe this.... I'm allergic to another antibiotic!!! A few days after starting a new antibiotic because the last one I also was allergic to that one. Hives everywhere! Not only is my infection not going anywhere but now it seems that it is attacking any antibiotic that is sent that way. :what: My ID doctor is having me stay off any antibiotics until I visit him next Thursday. He wants to make sure it is all out of my system before starting a new antibiotic.

I have an appointment with my OS today. I will let you know how it goes.... :thud:
 
I had my visit with my surgeon. She took x-rays and everything looks fine mechanically. I have been off on spring break this week and you can see that the swelling has gone down a small amount. Good sign. I don't know if that is my knee getting better or that I have been off my feet for a week. (I teach second grade and put in about 2½ miles a day just doing my job. Phew!) She wants me to continue with antibiotics. She does not want to do another surgery. She doesn't want to lose the bone I have left. I'm 56 I need to keep the bone just in case I need another revision in the future when it wears out. That is good news. I was dreading the thought of more surgeries.

Next week I have my ID doctor to find a new antibiotic. Hopefully, they can find the right one to take down this infection.
 
I had my visit with my surgeon.

Next week I have my ID doctor to find a new antibiotic. Hopefully, they can find the right one to take down this infection.
Hello!

I am allergic to Vancomycin, but when they put me on Daptomycin it was the best! Daptomycin cleared up the mess! Ask your ID doc about it.:yes!:
 
I'm glad the swelling has gone down. Teaching is very hard on new knees, especially ones with an infection. I went back to half days for six weeks so I could elevate the second half of the day. It made for an easy transition and I only used half the sick days.
 
OMG! I'm now allergic to another antibiotic. Why is my body doing this? That makes 4 different types of antibiotic and of course all its reletives that im allergic to. Its like my body doesnt want to get rid of this infection. 9 months, 4 sugeries, 2 picc lines, and 22 days in the hospital. I still am not rid of this. ARGH!!!!

My ID wants to go back to a picc line and IV again. I had better luck not rejecting the antibiotics on a IV. I call him on Monday to discuss what is next. I'll let you all know....
 
Gknee,
How frustrating for you to be allergic to yet another antibiotic. Sorry you need another pic line, but if that is what it takes to rid your body of this infection.
:console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my! I am sorry to hear this. The goal is to rid you of infection so it's the pic line. You ID does what's best for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I get how disappointing when it seems like you're going backward, but hopefully another stint with the picc line will rid you of this infection.
 
Well, I'm off to the hospital to get another picc line. We are hoping that I won't become allergic to my next antibiotic. Gotta love those picc lines.
 
Hope it goes well and the antibiotic helps with your infection.
 
You must be so frustrated!! I hope this one works out for you.
 
I have my picc line again. I'm now on Vankomyacin (sp?) Phew that is strong stuff. I hope this works. It is a long drip. The pharmacist said it was a 1 to a 1 1/2 hour drip. For me it is running just over 2 hours. If I run it any faster my heart starts to race, I feel super exhausted, and drugged up... I feel awful. At the slower pace I feel bad but I don't feel that horrible. I still need to rest and just lay there but the drugged feeling is not as bad and my heart doesn't beat in my ears. I don't have the energy to do much more. I was hoping I could do my hair etc. while it was running but so far I feel too bad. It kind of feels like a 2 hour hot flash. LOL Slow and steady wins the race? The bad thing is I have to do this early in the am in order to get to work. I have been waking up at 3:30 to start the IV. This morning I set my alarm clock again and woke up again in a hour or so. Little extra sleep helps. Fortunately, I'm a teacher so I'm out at 2:30. I can get to bed plenty early to make up for it.
 
Glad you are tolerating the vancomycin, sorry to hear you have to get up so early in the morning. :sleep:
 
I am sorry the vancomycin is hitting you so hard. I was on it last Dec/Jan. They gave it to me in an infusion ball which was nice because I wasn't tied to an IV. I know the pharmacist said 1 1/2 hours but mine was closer to 2 hours also. They started me on it again while I was in the hospital this last time and ended up changing it. For some reason I was not able to get to the blood level they wanted and they didn't want to go any higher with the dosage. Hopefully this PICC and antibiotic will be done on 4/29. I hope you start feeling better soon.
 
All you can do is rest. The financial strain can be unbelievable , but your a mom and are very strong.
I did the antibiotics 2 x 8 weeks. It knocked me into the dirt. But we're made to get up again.
I pray for you right now, many others are too.
 
Oh my goodness, you're teaching and doing an IV antibiotic! No wonder you're exhausted! Is it for 6 weeks? Hopefully school will be done soon and you can really rest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom