Knee Infection Revision Due to Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry to read about the infection that you have. I hope this new round of antibiotics will finally clear it up and you are on a path to speedy recovery!:flwrysmile:
 
I hope it gets better for you soon. Hopefully you won't have any Ned reactions. For the boredom can you have a friend or someone bring you up one of your hobbies. Like knitting or something else that you enjoy doing. I know when I stayed in the hospital some of the small things help to keep my mind busy so it wasn't as bad. Best of luck with everything.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It can keep on going, you will get a lot of support from these people. I hope they get it the first go around.



TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
 
Drama, drama, drama. I have another up date to the ongoing saga of my knee. I had emergency surgery last night. So here we go....

I woke up up around 4 in the morning to take a restroom trip. I crawled into bed half asleep a few minutes later. I fell back to sleep immediately only to wake up a hour later in a pool of blood. Okay, maybe not a pool sized but at least a cookie sheet size amount. I have a very tall bed with a 3 inch memory foam mattress. In my sleepy haze I apparently crawled on my hands and knees back into bed instead of my just had surgery drag and grunt procedure.

I got up and used direct pressure yada, yada, yada. I went to my surgeon and she tried everything she could to get the bleeding to stop. If you go back to surgery you are guaranteed getting an infection. We finally decided I already had two different infections what is one more.The cost of the antibiotics is about $10,000. Thank goodness for insurance.

I stopped by the house to tell the kids and grab a few things. My kids are so over this knee drama "Okay Mom, call us later if you are spending the night...." Argh! Children can be so empathetic. [Insert lecture here.]

The washout and repair went great. Between the general and some good pain meds. I was feeling good also.

Who would think just one or two steps on such a soft surface would so much damage. Apparently, crawling on your hands and knees is a big no, no. Lesson learned!
 
I'm sorry to hear about the latest drama. Glad you went and got it sorted out though!
I really hope this will be the last of your setbacks. :console2:
 
Gknee,
Sorry to hear of your latest knee adventures :sad:. Who would have thought a little crawling would do that much damage. Probably for the best, you received care for your infection sooner rather than later.
Hoping this is the end of your knee drama.
 
I've been following your journey, you seem very strong. I am on my second round of antibiotics, they gave me 8 weeks each round instead of six, a bit much but how can I complain. I will be watching your progress . I sure hope it goes well. I have talked to @RestAssured and she has been through 4 antibiotic episodes, she helped me a lot hearing her story. I have ha 4 surgeries in the last 9 months and if things go well January 28 they will put a new knee in.
I get scared because it hurt bad, I usually abuse my medicine and became tolerant ,it doesn't work anymore.
So s
Hearing of your plight and hopefully successful outcome gives me a feeling things can go well for me too. I hope you will have good fortune financially , it makes it so much harder. Good luck I will be watching you silently.
Steve



TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
Nov 3'. 2stage reversion began
Nov. 10 2015' debridement. New spacer, no weight bearing
 
If you go back to surgery you are guaranteed getting an infection.
Whoever told you that? Because though it's a risk, it is NOT an inevitability! All surgery is carried out under strictly sterile conditions.
I went to my surgeon and she tried everything she could to get the bleeding to stop. Who would think just one or two steps on such a soft surface would so much damage.
I think your bleeding was most likely from a haematoma. Sustaining a scratch or graze from bed sheets wouldn't start a bleed so bad she couldn't stop it. It was most likely waiting for a reason to pop open and the drag across the sheets (with weight on it) was enough.
 
Hi Gknee,
I am sorry for all that you have been through. I am currently going through the infection problem but nothing compared to yours. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you get a "final" recovery.
 
It will get better. It might get worse first. Hopefully the antibodies will get the bugs out of you. There are many people who have gone through this and they are doing great now. That's what keeps me going, even when the something bad come and another right on it. It's out of your control, you can only take care of yourself, know your limits, listen to your Dr.'s and let it takes it course. This will pass.



TKR April 12 , 2015
Marłch 10,2015,1st Stage, partial replacement antibiotic wash.
May 15, 2015, Debridement
October 29, 2015, knee replacement removed. Antibiotic Spacers in
Nov 3'. 2stage reversion began
Nov. 10 2015' debridement. New spacer, no weight bearing
 
So sorry to hear you are having this infection My worse fear since Dr told me before surgery that it is one of the risk Praying they get you taken care of & your pain free.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Here it goes again. I had surgery AGAIN for my knee replacement revision. My knee began to open up and ooze from my incision AGAIN. I had surgery arthroscopicly this time to clean it out and sew it back up. I think of it as getting a power wash at the local car wash. She didn't want to reopen the entire incision since it has had such a difficult time healing.

They restarted my IV meds again. (4th time.) It sounds like I will still be using them for 3 more months. I am really getting tired of the hospital. In the past 6 months I have been in the hospital for a total of 22 days for my infection and revision, 22 DAYS of hospital food, 6 months in a full leg brace and crutches, 4 revision and washout surgeries, 4+ months of antibiotics IV's and pic lines.... This doesn't even count the original knee replacement that I had two years ago and had an infection in and spent 8 days in the hospital with antibiotics for. If you added all the days up that is 30 days in the hospital for one knee. I'm so done! I'm frustrated and so over this! ARGH!!!!
 
You have been so much. Have you tried going to a different doctor? It just seems you've had so many complications that it might be warranted.
 
I so understand. Mine is my right knee. Original plus two replacements plus going septic because of my pic line. Six weeks in rehab. From Sept 14 till Sept 15 I spent like 70 days in the hospital or rehab. Beginning to think I would never get out and stay out. But things improved and finally I am just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My incision is finally seriously closing. Doc said he is satisfied that my infection is gone and on approval of infectious disease, I can reduce my antibiotic to two pills a day for the rest of my life. He said there is no risk of my losing my leg.

I write all this to let you know it will happen to you too. It may come slowly or quickly. But it will come to you!!
 
Yeah we're all in a elite club.
It never ends for me it seems. I'm so over it too. The hospital AHHHH. Getting on the pony ride again. @waitingtogarden nice to here that.
Sometimes it is ridiculous...I don't know what to say. ARGH !!!! Sounds abouT right. They say it will end, boy what a lesson I'm learning. At least we have a chance, it's not incurable cancer, keep my fingers crossed. My family is so burnt out on it , I feel guilty dragging them through this. I wish I could see you all.
 
I hated seeing that seeping on the gauze bandages. Every morning you wake up, wanting to see how it looks, but not wanting to see it seep. I'm sorry you're back on IVs and getting back on the merry go round. It is a huge pain that takes so much time. Does your OS limit the how much you can bend your knee?
 
I finally started my PT a few weeks ago. I have not even had PT for my Revision in JUNE!!! My Dr said as long as I was better than 90 degrees she was happy. Even though I had it very tough with 2 infections and IV's I was over 90 degrees a month after surgery. Yea!

Well, after the second part of my revision after they took out my spacer and put back in a knee replacement I was again more than 90 degrees. Even with my wound opening up twice and needing surgery to close them back up I didn't loose my bend.

I was finally cleared for PT a few weeks ago. Upon arriving at PT I was measured at 126 degrees bend and 0 degrees straight. All without even at home PT. Yea!:happydance:It makes me think that the British have it all figured out. They do not do PT just after TKR's. What do you think?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! I'm very happy for you. I'll guess I'll try the British version of recovery with my next surgery too!
 
I live in NZ and my surgeon has an approach that is similar to the UK one. He doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a TKR - patients do a few heel slides each day and walk around the house. After a month, he recommends only very gentle, occasional PT visits. His patients all do well and he hasn't had to do a MUA to assist with ROM for the past 3 years.
I did no PT at all after my last TKR and I have excellent function and ROM.

I think there is a place for PT, but that aggressive, intensive PT after a TKR is unnecessary and can be harmful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom