Knee Infection Revision Due to Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, you are living a really hard life---I am sorry that you have to go through this. My friend, who had an infection also used the Vicomyacin and it did wipe out the infection. I hope you have the same result.
 
Thank you all so much for the support. I'm a single mom and my boys who are adults and still living at home are so over all of this. It's no longer poor mom but just another day. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia so I am use to feeling like **** all day every day. With this knee added I feel like a big heaping dose of ****. LOL.

Many days I don't know how I do it either. Now after adding the IV again I get up at 3:30 am to do my IV, get to work around 6-7 am. Work all day teaching second grade. Phew! Come home by 3:00 do another IV dose, make dinner and go to bed again. Really that is it. It is all I can do. To be honest I don't do any of it well. I'm so tired and exhausted I know I really am not doing my students justice. My boys just except that I'm not the same anymore. My Fibromyalgia is flaring big time. Not only does my knee hurt after being on it all day but every muscle is killing me. The widespread pain from the FM is raging. I am so over sensitive to everything, The bed sheets that I am lying on feel like sandpaper. Lights and sounds are overstimulates me. A few weeks ago during spring break my CFS was raging just sitting up was difficult to do. I spent the entire week basically in bed. I am all out of sick days. To be honest I don't know what it feels like to be pain free and feeling good.

Wow, I just read this back and boy am I venting.....Sorry gang just having a bad day. Thanks for listening.....
 
You deserve a break, that's for sure! How much longer until school is out?
 
5 weeks! Yea!

Those of you who are or have been a teacher knows it is the busiest time of the year.

We are having a staycation this year. I lost so much money with all my time off. I hopefully will get rid of this infection and I will be able to enjoy my 2 1/2 months off. That is definitely one thing I love about being a teacher..
Vacation!!!!
 
I'm sorry you have been dealing with so much. I hope the infection is finally banished for good and you get to enjoy a wonderful summer vacation.
 
Busiest and most draining time of the year, only surpassed by August/September. You are superwoman/super teacher!
 
Thank you all so much for the support. I'm a single mom and my boys who are adults and still living at home are so over all of this. It's no longer poor mom but just another day. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia so I am use to feeling like mess all day every day. With this knee added I feel like a big heaping dose of mess. LOL.

Many days I don't know how I do it either. Now after adding the IV again I get up at 3:30 am to do my IV, get to work around 6-7 am. Work all day teaching second grade. Phew! Come home by 3:00 do another IV dose, make dinner and go to bed again. Really that is it. It is all I can do. To be honest I don't do any of it well. I'm so tired and exhausted I know I really am not doing my students justice. My boys just except that I'm not the same anymore. My Fibromyalgia is flaring big time. Not only does my knee hurt after being on it all day but every muscle is killing me. The widespread pain from the FM is raging. I am so over sensitive to everything, The bed sheets that I am lying on feel like sandpaper. Lights and sounds are overstimulates me. A few weeks ago during spring break my CFS was raging just sitting up was difficult to do. I spent the entire week basically in bed. I am all out of sick days. To be honest I don't know what it feels like to be pain free and feeling good.

Wow, I just read this back and boy am I venting.....Sorry gang just having a bad day. Thanks for listening.....


I just came across your story, actually looking for something else.

All I can say is WOW And offer you a big HUGG.

I SOOOO relate to your saga. I am in the process of getting a knee replaced, with much trepidation because of an infection nightmare that took a year of my life with a hip replacement, complete with 3 added surgeries, months if IV antibiotics, and about 8 months of a wound vac with daily excruciatingly painful dressing changes. That was 2 yeas ago and I still live in fear of it recurring.

I really hope you progress and get that nasty "i" word under control.
 
OMG! I'm now allergic to another antibiotic! HIVES!!!! That makes 5 different types of antibiotics and all their relatives. I'm starting a new one on Monday. I'm waiting until Monday to make sure the last antibiotic and it's hives are gone. A nurse has to be with me because they are worried about a major reaction. This is the last type of antibiotics that I am not allergic to. Keep your toes and fingers crossed that this is the one. I wonder what are the odds? Even my Dr won't make a bet on me. We are all pretty sure that I will again have a good case of hives in a few days after trying this last antibiotic.

If this happens he will put me in the hospital and try to desensitize me to one of the antibiotics I am allergic to. He will introduce very small amounts of the antibiotics let settle down and then give a little more, a little more and a little more. The goal is for my body to finally accept the antibiotics. Has anyone ever had this done? Even heard of it?
 
I'm so sorry to hear about all your ongoing problems with antibiotics. I'll pray that the next antibiotic can do the trick for you plus fingers crossed.:fingersx::prayer:
 
Hope the last one works but have heard of allergy desensitization to other substances so sounds reasonable


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hope this one works for you. I have some allergies to antibiotics (not as extensive as yours) and had to spend an extra day in the hospital to make sure I didn't react to the last one.
 
OH my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear this! What a dilemma you and your doctor have. I am only allergic to one antibiotic, penicillin. How have you reacted in the past to lesser infections and the treatment like strep, ear infections, sinus infections?
 
I have gone my whole life with no food or medical allergies. (I'm allergic to dust and pet dander.) 2 years ago I developed an allergy to Lidocane. This last summer when all this began I have developed allergies to every antibiotic I have been given. There was even one that in August I was not allergic to but in December I was now allergic to it. My body is out of control. LOL
 
Well, I am now allergic to EVERY antibiotic! :gaah:
I have had four surgeries, 22 days in the hospital, Full leg brace and crutches for 6 months, three picc lines, allergic reactions to 6 types of antibiotics and their relatives, physical therapy.... My knee is still swollen and hot. It does look a little better than it did in December but it is FAR from normal. I guess the infection has officially won.:bawl:
 
I'm very sorry to hear your latest news about your antibiotic allergy.
Have the same surgeon and infectious disease doctor been attending you through all this?

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to seek another opinion.
Dr Maale, in Plano, Texas, has had great success with stubborn infections. @RestAssured recommends him highly.
 
Goodness! This is just awful! I did give Dr. Maale's name to a friend who's TKR is now hot and swollen more than a year after her revision. Celle and Sonja have said you can send him your info before actually seeing him. It's worth speaking to your OS and ID about it.
Are you allergic to rafampin?
 
Oh my! I am so sorry to hear this. I have fought my share of infections but never allergic. What are the plans now? Second opinions?

All I can do you you is encourage you and pray. I have no advice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom