Revision TKR Revision Completed...Ready to get back to my life...<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodness Just - there's always something! I hope you get massive relief once the revision is done!
 
@Angel1978

Its not an issue with the knee that I have to get checked out, other than the need for a revision of course! :)

Do you know what it is that is wrong with your leg?



Hope. I may be one of them slow healers lol. But it's painful. Revision ooooooch sorry... Xxxx hope all goes good for when.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JustmeT - then I do hope the docs find the other "issue" is a quick fix so you can get on to that revision and ultimately, relief and a real recovery!! :fingersx:
 
I am wondering what the pros and cons are of a "femoral nerve block"? Any one that has had one, recommend or not? I keep saying I don't want one because I am afraid it will cause delay in getting up and around, I want out of the hospital as fast as I can manage.
 
The nerve block was a blessing for pain relief. By all means if you're offered one, take it! I was up and moving around with the walker that evening, discharged the next day.
 
Not sure of the experience others have had with the femoral nerve block @JustmeT ; I did not know about it in advance of having my knees done but it was SOP for my OS. Loved it. And I was up walking the first day. :running: What it did was eliminate pain for the first 24-30 hours, which was great.:egypdance: In fact, for my second knee, it was not done properly and the pain was extreme.:hissy: I had to work hard to convince staff that it had not worked and get someone in to re-administer.
 
@tigz

I will have to research it to see exactly what is involved. So it really didn't hinder you from being up and around?
 
SOP - Standard Operating Procedure. No hindrance. In fact, because you cannot feel the pain, you are actually able to move around better and avoid the stiffness. The nerve block blocks the pain signals, not muscle function. Only wish you could have it till all the pain is gone!!
 
I had one with and one without. My first knee they numbed my entire leg using ultrasound to guide the needle to the nerve bundles. I think they shot the numbing medication into 3 nerve bundles. It was great! They didn't even take me into the OR until my leg was "dead". It took about 20 hours total for it to wear off. The wearing off sensation was a lot like when your hand is asleep and tingles when it wakes up only it was my entire leg. It started at my toes first and moved up my leg. If I remember, I think my entire leg was numb for around 14 hours and gradually woke up over the next 6. While it was numb they did get me up but they had to put on a leg stabilizer garment type thing so my leg wouldn't buckle.

My 2nd knee they did a epidural in the OR which did not take. The anesthesiologist asked me as he did it if my leg felt numb or heavy to which I answered no. Well, they put me to sleep anyway and when I woke up in recovery I've never felt such pain in my life. I was screaming in pain.

So, just make sure you talk to the anesthesiologist and make it clear that they do not put you out until it is confirmed your leg is numb.

p.s. SOP = standard operating procedure :)
 
Instead of a femoral block I had a saphenous block. I understand my OS started using it just this past Spring. It does not affect muscle control. Only pain. Had my surgery on Thursday morning, and as I left on Sunday they filled up my little magic ball of nerve block juice, and I went home with it. The anesthesiologist called me each night to check on how it was doing, and then told me I had to pull the little tube out of my leg by 4pm on that Wednesday. I did so, and other than a slight lessening of numbness, felt nothing. I think it saved me a lot of pain.
 
@NightQuilter
Being able to move around with minimal pain sounds good.

@gr82cu2
I had two partials three years ago, both were day surgeries and neither with a femoral block, it's wasn't excruciating pain or anything when the spinal wore off, the OS shot the knee full of anesthetic. I wonder why a femoral block with the TKR and not with a partial?

@Slainte
I will mention that to the Dr before I go for the revision, that sounds like awesome pain control and management.

The reason I asked about the femoral nerve block is because I remember reading here a while back that someone or maybe more than one person experienced a lag with their quad muscle.
 
I may have to have the knee revision postponed...the issue I am having with the blood work, well it has to figured out before I am cleared for surgery.

I am feeling very worried and a somewhat depressed at the moment!
 
JustmeT,
I had a little setback with the blood work, low potassium, it was corrected and my revision did not need to be rescheduled.
Hope your blood work is resolved soon.
Thanks for the link above, up to date PT's agree with #4.
 
I am still here in holding pattern waiting to see if the hematologist will give me the go ahead for the revision on October 7th. I am working very hard at being chill about all this and not worrying about any of it. This is a new head space for me to be in, not stressing and worrying, atm I am not even nervous or anxious about the surgery itself either. I kinda like it, lol!

@RestAssured I am taking a page from your book me thinks...the next thing you know I will be shy too! :rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom