Revision TKR Revision Completed...Ready to get back to my life...<

Status
Not open for further replies.

KneeAware

post-grad
Country
Canada Canada
I was told by my (new) PT that I need to rest my left knee in preparation for the upcoming rpkr...anyone's been through this where they have had their replacements a few months apart, what did you do to make sure the 1st PKR (tkr) isn't overly stressed from the recovery for the 2nd one?

Janet, you are in the right forum. we could change your title so that it is more informative. I would not worry too much about the first knee, I am sure that it will be fine. I never thought of my old knee once I had the other one replaced!!!! JustmeT, I did change the name of your thread, so that you would get reponses. The New name is Am I ready for the Second Replacement?

If you would rather have a different name, just tag me and I will change it to the name you want. To tag someone, use skigirl. make sure you use the exact name they use for posting. Kelly

skigirl Thanks for changing the title, it is much better. Oh and my name isn't Janet, lol, on a public forum such as this I just use T.

Bottomshollow had her TKRs the same week---one on Monday, the second on Thursday. My hubby, CaseyJones, is having the same done this week---had one Monday, the second is tomorrow. Only way to go!!!!

Everyone is different, that's all I know. A friend had his two replacements 3 weeks apart this Spring. Even so, he did his annual 150 mile bike ride over two days as a fundraiser for MS with two-month old knees. I guess he had luck on his side, and picked a great surgeon.

My OS won't do two at the same time or just days apart...right now I wish that had been the case! I am so worried about this upcoming pkr....!!!! I haven't been able to take anything for pain for a couple of months now, I think this is scaring me the most!!!

maryo52 He did that with 2 month old knees, wow, he must have been given miracle replacements, lol! I want one of those! :skep:

bottomshollow How is your husband doing? Hope this helps him!!:)

I thought I read you had yours a couple of days apart...and I did! :whistle: Guess my brain still has that function working....lol!

I am so not sure about having this done, I remember too well the pain the first few days. I was without 'real' pain medication for a couple of days because of a screw up in the prescript!! Now I cannot even take a thing...so that is what I am truly afraid of. That and the fact that I am sorta willingly going through this again!!!:scary:

Hi JustmeT,
It is perfectly normal to not want to go thru another TKR. I had my second TKR 4 months after my first TKR. I was dreading the first few weeks but knew that with time it gets better. I tried to focus on the positive, 2 brand new knees to allow me to have a better quality life. You have already experienced one TKR and even though you had a bad experience without pain meds you know now exactly what you are going to need- pain meds. Explain your fears to you OS and let him/her know that you want a plan before you have your TKR. I wish you the best and pray you have a fabulous recovery. Don't let fear take over your life,

Margie :flwrysmile:

vegasmomof3 I don't get to meet with my OS again until in pre-op...my PCP is away on leave and the doctor taking his place doesn't speak very good English, there is much lost in translation there. Soooooo I guess I am letting all this build up into one big whine...lol! I have been trying to get an appointment with another dr to explain my situation...and will try the OS again when his holidays are over next week....
Thank you for commenting!!

Just 3 more weeks....I am wondering should I or shouldn't I have the RPKR? I have been reading in the pre-op area about the failed PKR's and that they wouldn't have had them had they known....I was worried enough before but now.....I am having serious doubts!!! I know it's my decision and mine alone, is there anyone with a positive outcome from a PKR? I know the possibility of a TKR in the future is there but I am hoping it won't be for like in 15-20 yrs...

That's a real decision to make, and it doesn't sound like you have much input from your surgeon. What you need to know is that about 50% of the time, an intended pkr turns out to be a tkr because the extent of the damage doesn't always show up in xrays. I was also told that a pkr isn't likely to last as long. My surgeon said he might be able to do a pkr on my left knee. I chose ahead of time to have the tkr done instead and be done with it. I was having both knees done at the same time, the right knee a tkr for sure. It turned out that the left was too damaged and would have had a tkr anyway. But I didn't want something that was only going to last 7 years and need redoing. Hopefully my new tkrs will last me 20+ years and never need replacing. The recovery from the two surgeries is nearly the same anyway. The advantage, I was told, of a pkr, is that it might feel more like a natural knee, but I don't think people with tkrs think much about their knees after the first year or so. Good luck with your decision and ultimate surgery.

I seen my surgeon on August 17th and he thinks this is the best solution because its only the medial side of my knees that have been affected. I had one torn meniscus since I was 14 yrs old and the other one happened in my late twenties, as a result that one was repaired three times but had to be removed about 6 years ago. I have had several scopes and clean-ups done to try and keep from having any replacement surgery but it hasn't helped much. If I were to have a TKR I would have to wait at least another 15 years because only one compartment of my knees are affected, and this is from three different surgeons. After MRI's and x-rays it was determined that Unicompartmental replacements were my best option and something that could be done now, not years from now. I was/am a good candidate for successful PKRs, in saying this I think I answered my own question...lol!

Janet2012, I don't really have much input from my surgeon, he is a man of few words...short and to the point! :doh:

Given that, I think you are right, you've answered your own question. All the more so because your problems originated from an injury rather than degenerative arthritis which usually effects all parts of the knee eventually. Sometimes you just have to sound yourself out to hear yourself!

I was out and about for a full day yesterday, dentist appointments, grocery shopping, play group, one child singing in the choir at an event last evening...the knee is so unhappy with me atm. Its been almost 5 months, I am thinking it shouldn't be so angry with me still when I need to be out and about. Last week-end my daughter and I participated in the Relay for Life that was held here...my knee reacted to that much much better than the day out yesterday!! I have a burning sensation in the my shin since yesterday and my knee went out on me a couple of times when I went from sitting to standing...I know I am letting all this affect me and making me even more anxious over the rpkr surgery on the 24th....cannot seem to help it though! Josephine said its excitement I am feeling, lol! Anyhoo, just a we whine to kick off the long weekend! It will be a busy one....have a great week-end all and Happy Turkey Day to all my fellow Canadians!

When you knee "gives way" it is usually because your quad muscles are still weak. And sometimes, running errands and going to concerts, etc is more stressful that just walking! Hopefully things will settle down more in the next few weeks.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Anyway, I know you're not talking TKR now, but I did have mine done six months apart. The first one was good, but not fully healed or strengthened, yet strong enough for this. As I start doing more, it's acting up, sometimes almost as much as the newer knee. Would I have wanted to wait any longer? No; I wish I could have gotten it done sooner, as it just feels like such a loooong process. I know I'm getting better, but I want to BE better.
Good luck to you. Whereabouts in Newfoundland are you? It's one of my favorite provinces.
J

skigirl I think you may be correct about the quad thing, since the trouble with the Baker's Cyst I haven't been able to do as much with the strengthening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back