Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision Completed...Ready to get back to my life...<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry to hear that. It is so disappointing to have surgery and then not have optimal results. I understand---I hated the revision, but am glad that it is behind me. Perhaps during the summer, you can hire a teenager or two for the children and have the surgery then.
 
@skigirl

I hate that I have to have it too, I feel like I have been robbed. I guess I am finally to the point where I am mad that this has happened. I am so not wanting this done!!!!
 
I felt the same way---cheated really,all these people with good outcomes!!! Why me???

If it helps at all, two years out, my knee is much better and I am finally glad that it is over!!
 
I had a tkr the first time. then the doctor decided that the spacer was too small. Because of the movement of my knee due to the small spacer, my knee was filled with adhesions.

So, I had surgery to remove the adhesions and to put in a larger spacer. it was not as bad as the original surgery. I had four or five days of pain---took percoset and then, I had a long recovery. Since my doc felt that exercising on an inflamed, hot knee caused adhesions to form, I had to wait 3 weeks for any pt---had to spend the time on the couch or in bed, with the knee elevated and iced. At the end, very little swelling and I began to exercise---slowly. It took 5 months to get my full strength back. My attitude sucked, but I did stay the course. So, now I have a functional knee---and I really appreciate it!!
 
@skigirl

I should have remembered that about your tkr and spacer issue. :groan:

My OS says he will try to NOT do a total replacement if at all possible then warned me to get by head wrapped around a total because a revision keeping a pkr hasn't been too successful in his experience. He said he just had one patient whom he did it on and it worked. Lots to think about for sure and the more I think the worse it is, lol!

I asked him how long he would consider the recovery from a revision to be, such as this, he said anywhere from six weeks to 3 months and that is being generous.
 
First, I would not plan on a revision PKR---their success rate is not good---you don't want to find yourself in this position again. I would opt for a TKR who success rate is much higher than PKR.

It is true that 3 months is the time for a TKR revision--but that does not mean you will be lying in your bed of pain for 3 months!!! I found the first two weeks to be difficult. I was taking oxycontin twice a day and Percoset every four hours. I was zonked big time!! I lay in bed with my propped up on three pillows. I could get up and walk without a crutch in the house and go to the bathroom and get myself some lunch and ice.

I would not have been able to take care of kids then---too many drugs. How old are your kids? You would need someone in your house---not for you--but for the kids. I think you could hire a team of high school girls who would be glad to make a little money. So, one from 7am to 2 pm and one from 2 pm until 7 pm or bed time. Or split the day into three shifts.

You could talk to the kids, read stories, get juice for them. But, I would have had a difficult time picking anything up from the floor. I felt too weak.

At three weeks, i began to emerge from the Shadows!!! I rode my bike outside at 4 weeks for 12 miles. But, I still did feel weak, took naps, still on lesser pain meds---lortab until week 4 and then Tramadol. I still did spend a lot of time lying in bed or on the couch with my knee propped up on three pillows. I could walk around, took the dogs for a 2 mile walk--but then had to rest for two hours.

Most of all, I was not impaired, but I had to spend a lot of time with the leg up to get rid of the swelling. the worst of the pain was over by week 2. but, I had to be careful not to overdo. I was not cleaning (ha) or making meals or changing beds, or spending anytime with laundry. My husband did a lot during the first month.

By six weeks, I was pretty good. I needed to rest an hour for every two or three hours up on my feet. I could ride my bike 20 miles---but it was hard to sit in a chair for any length of time--the leg would swell if it was down too much. I hardly ever cook anyway---I eat mostly salads or raw veggies. By 8 weeks, I felt really petty good, but still had to rest, not at full strength.

I think you could hire help for 8 weeks and you would be good. The students could cook and clean. Most of the time, If find high school kids are great---they work hard and many of them need the money---for prom, for yearbooks, etc. My kids always worked and they were great employees. If you did your knee while school was out, I think you could make it work, If you don't know any kids, talk to the guidance counselor or the home ec teacher. You can interview the kids early---have more than one so that if one gets sick or whatever, you will have a back up.

I know that this would be an extra cost---but so is pain!!

It does take 3 months to feel really good---but you are not in bed until then. I got up about 2 hours after I got back from the operating room---went to the bathroom, took off my yucky gown thingy and put on yoga clothing!!

I am laughing--I live in Montana and our legislators meet for 90 days every two years--which most of us thinkis too much!! one of them proposed to outlaw yoga pants and anyone going without a shirt!!! He bemoaned flesh colored clothing!! We are all thinking of getting some flesh colored, nipple showing, yoga pants and going to protest!!!!
 
@skigirl

I don't know if a revised pkr is the way to go so I am going to have to start thinking about a total I guess. I know I don't want to keep having to do this every couple of years.

I figured the pain and rehab would be about the same as the initial replacement surgery. I know the surgery takes a little longer to do but the recovery should be the same? I hope there are newer pain meds out there that I can take this time around, or old ones I haven't tried yet? I don't think acetaminophen and ibuprofen are gonna cut it in the 1st couple of weeks. :groan:

My kids are 10 and 6 (or will be 6 on Thursday), a bit young yet to be fending for themselves me thinks, :umm:! They are very independent but this would be waaaaaaaaaay too much for them. I will not even consider having this done with me the only adult here. As for hiring anyone, that won't happen!

I am laughing--I live in Montana and our legislators meet for 90 days every two years--which most of us thinkis too much!! one of them proposed to outlaw yoga pants and anyone going without a shirt!!! He bemoaned flesh colored clothing!! We are all thinking of getting some flesh colored, nipple showing, yoga pants and going to protest!!!!

Have you purchased the "required uniform" of yoga pants and other flesh coloured clothing yet? :heehee: The dude trying to relive the movie Footloose with a twist?...lol!
 
@JustmeT. I found the TKR recovery easier than the initial PKR. I think that's because there was something wrong with it right from the start and the pain never eased up. I have had no issues with the knee itself since the TKR. All my issues are related to surrounding structures and sciatica, which I've had on and off since my first pregnancy years ago. The recovery time was similar. The first two weeks were the hardest though. The knee itself has improved gradually since then.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@shelli22

I hope your knee continues to feel better. Its discouraging to go through the 1st surgery and have it fail so soon. I admire your positive attitude towards this recovery.
 
Thanks @JustmeT. I hope eventually you find a solution with assistance at home so that you too can move forward and have your TKR and eventually a pain free future with your family x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @JustmeT

I had a revision from a PKR to a TKR just over 3 years ago.

Although I was anxious about it, I actually found the recovery was easier than from the original surgery. Some people do find it a little harder, but they all seem to feel that it was worthwhile having the revision.
My knee is great now - so good that I forget it's artificial.
 
I hope eventually you find a solution with assistance at home so that you too can move forward and have your TKR and eventually a pain free future with your family x

I think I have settled it in my mind that I will until my husband gets back home to have this done. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaving my kids with anyone other than my husband while I am in the hospital. (I also think that its because of the hospital stay that I am reluctant to have this done, :thud:). I had both pkr's as day surgery.
 
Although I was anxious about it, I actually found the recovery was easier than from the original surgery. Some people do find it a little harder, but they all seem to feel that it was worthwhile having the revision.
My knee is great now - so good that I forget it's artificial.

That's awesome that your knee feels that good, that's what my right knee is usually like.
 
Tessa, I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I do hope that you are able to get on with the surgery and healing sometime soon. (((((Hugs)))))
 
@BJ Mac

Thanks BJ! I just have to use Jedi mind tricks on my knee to get me through until I can have the dreaded surgery...:secret:

Have you been snowboarding much this winter or skiing?
 
Time for an update...

It will be three years tomorrow since my lpkr...its been a roller coaster ride for sure. Its in need of a revision...

I am finally going to give the go ahead to have the revision done. Its been more than a year since it started causing problems resulting in a diagnosis of 'aseptic loosening'. I have put of the surgery as long as I could, its to the point now that its causing other problems as well. I am needing to wrap my brain around the fact that I need this to be done, again, get it done and over with!
 
Ohhhh....so sorry to hear that you're headed for more surgery. This sometimes happens with the partials, but please take heart! The conversion to a full TKR can relieve all these problems and get you going again. You're now an "old pro" in the recovery department, so you'll know what to do. Here's hoping you can get a surgery date quickly so you can get feeling better.
 
@Jamie

It's the recovery I am worried about the most.

Thanks, even though I am going to give the go ahead I hope the date isn't too soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom