Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision Completed...Ready to get back to my life...<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I was so distressed before the revision that I was a total basket case!! Jo and Jamie helped me to see that it had to be done and that I would live through it. I have to admit that it was harder to get revved up for it---after all, I though a TKR would be the knee surgery to end all knee surgeries!!

Most of all, I hated rehabbing the knee again. I was not a pleasant person in PT---finally my PT told me off and really, he was right. I did not have to walk around feeling angry and like a victim. It was just bad luck---maybe a mistake, but my surgeon is a human and makes mistakes. I was lucky that It was a spacer exchange and removal of adhesions---but the recovery is very long.

My doc told me to be careful not to over exercise a swollen, hot knee---that with the extra surgery it would encourage adhesions to grow if I did too much in the early days. So, I lay there for three weeks with my knee up so that the swelling would go down. My PT did almost nothing until after the swelling was really down. So, it took forever---but my knee is more stable and it does not give me much trouble now.

Try to keep the end in mind---you will be healthier and have a functioning knee. You can blather on to me ad nauseume---I owe it to the universe to listen and be sympathetic!!!
 
@NightQuilter
I keep circling back to, I just cannot have this revision so soon...usually I take things head on and stay positive, this time not so much! What's even scarier is that my sense of humour is failing me!!!

@RestAssured where art thou to boost my flagging humour with a ridiculous idea to do something insanely dangerous and totally fun??? :rotfl:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @skigirl...I appreciate this!
"Try to keep the end in mind---you will be healthier and have a functioning knee. You can blather on to me ad nauseume---I owe it to the universe to listen and be sympathetic!!"

We have winter and again I am left at the bottom of the hill, how pathetic is that? LOL! I get what you are saying and you are so right, I think its more the recovery that I am not down with. That and the thought of having a hospital stay, with two kids at home and a husband in a different country, that a hospital stay will be very hard to deal with and very stressful for me.

This is just way to soon after having had two partials (one per knee) such a short time ago, I can't seem to get my head around having to have another knee surgery. I have had so many and I thought with pkrs I would have many many more years without even having to think about another one.
 
Some folks do have luck with partials--but they are tricky to place---you almost have to go to someone who only does partials. For some folks, it is a two step TKR. Annoying--yes, of course, but you were doing your best to do what was right for you. Unfortunately, the partial did not work out.
 
@JustmeT,

Well.

After you get your knee replaced, you can join me in tandem skydiving! On my Bucket list!:happydance:
 
@skigirl I wasn't aware of the problems with pkrs when I had mine done, all I heard was, "you should get at least 10-15 years out of it." It was after the second one was done and the first one was giving me trouble that I really clued into it. That being said, the right one so far is doing well.
 
I totally understand---I wanted a PKR myself until it was obvious that it was not going to happen!!! And you may get 10 years out of the right one--let's keep our fingers crossed!!!
 
@skigirl I am keeping everything crossed that the right one just stays as is. I think I would have a total breakdown if that one were to have trouble too...:unsure:!

I am finding hard to stay positive right now, even thinking about this gets me tied into knots, all I think of is what can go wrong! I know its the exact opposite approach I need to take but I cannot seem to help it. I try to think positive but somewhere along the way it gets derailed and off I go thinking the worst again!
 
I got 11 good years out of my right PKR. Yours could do as well, or even better.
 
@Celle I guess I shouldn't complain much, am into the 3rd year with the rpkr even if I did get less than 2 years with the lpkr before it went way wonky! :bored:
 
@RestAssured

That's the thing you want to do from your bucket list!! :chinstroke: Are you willing to jump first? Mmmmmm?

I want to ski down the https://www.zermatt.ch/en/matterhorn .

Wouldn't that be so very cool and awesome and fun? :rotfl: I will even go first!!!! :egypdance:
Ok, sounds like a plan! I will go with my partner in a tandem sky dive first, then you follow. Then we will tackle that mountain of yours! I LOVE challenges!:happydance::heehee:
 
@RestAssured Sounds like a mighty fine plan to me then after the cold of the Matterhorn are you up for some scuba-diving at the Great Barrier Reef?
 
I'm not sure of the cause, but I think that any pain you feel is because the implant is loose.

I'm so sorry that you have to have a revision to a TKR. It's big disappointment, I'm sure. If it's any consolation (probably not, I know!) my revision was nowhere near as hard as I had anticipated and my recovery was no harder than the recovery from the original surgery. And the revision fixed my problem.
 
@JustmeT. I get where you're coming from. I had a PKR around eighteen months ago. I haven't had a pain free day since. After an arthroscopy it was decided the partial had failed and I needed a TKR. It took me a month to get my head around having to do the whole recovery thing again. I had the forms filled in but couldn't post them. I went into avoidance mode. Eventually I picked up the forms and sent them in before I could change my mind and the surgery was booked for six weeks later. Those six weeks were an emotional roller coaster but in the end I decided I had to accept what I couldn't change as it meant I had a chance to work again. I was not able to be cleared for work by my surgeon so I had no option as I am single. I then had an epiphany day. My positive attitude became a reality only after making the decision to do prehab so that I was as ready as I could be to enable a positive rehab. I am now ten weeks post revision and I now see light at the end of the tunnel and a possible return to work in April. I guess I'm trying to say bite the bullet, accept what can't be changed and look towards a pain free future with your kids and family. I hope this helps. Good luck with your journey x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@shelli22 Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them. I don't think I am in avoidance mode, more like terrified mode. I cannot wrap my head around having this done and my husband not here with the kids. That plus this thought that loops around inside my head, "what if this doesn't work? What if its worse after the revision?" I know I shouldn't think like that...!

I am happy for you that your rehab is going well and that you may be returning to work in April...its a positive story like yours that I need to be reading about at the moment. Thank you so much for sharing.
 
If it's any consolation (probably not, I know!) my revision was nowhere near as hard as I had anticipated and my recovery was no harder than the recovery from the original surgery. And the revision fixed my problem.

That is a good positive thing to hear...thank you! You hear and read so much that is less than positive, it can get quite scary.
 
@JustmeT. Lol lol lol just to clarify - I was in avoidance mode because I was petrified - for all the same reasons you stated!! Good luck with your revision.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom