Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision Completed...Ready to get back to my life...<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that at some point you will have to have faith that the revision will work and that your life will improve.

Here is my take on negative thoughts---If you only think positive thoughts for now---yes, this is going to make my life better, yes the tkr will work. Then, if something does happen---you have plenty of time then to worry about it. But if nothing happens---which is most likely---you will not have wasted weeks of your time worrying.
 
@skigirl YES!! Exactly my point (my post was more long winded though). Yours much more succinct!! But that's what I meant. At some point I had to change the negative to a positive or 'feel the fear.....and do it anyway'. I had to look at the gains to determine that they would outweigh the irrational fear of the difficulty of doing it alone as I had no one at home, no rehab to go to (wasn't even an option) and two dogs to look after!! But it can be done! Obviously, as I did it. The hardest thing is learning to accept help from neighbours or whomever, if you're normally independent.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think that at some point you will have to have faith that the revision will work and that your life will improve.

Here is my take on negative thoughts---If you only think positive thoughts for now---yes, this is going to make my life better, yes the tkr will work. Then, if something does happen---you have plenty of time then to worry about it. But if nothing happens---which is most likely---you will not have wasted weeks of your time worrying.

I get what you are saying, I do...! I think that doing this with 2 young kids and my husband not able to be here, is too much to take on, this all adds to my worries as well.
 
@Josephine

I keep getting this burning, hot-type feeling below my knee into my shin, could this be some sort of nerve pain I wonder, associated with the loosening of the hardware? Doesn't matter if I am sitting doing nothing, standing or walking, it happens and its very uncomfortable.
 
Yes, most likely nerve pain. I'd discuss it with your GP and see what he thinks.
 
Do you have help lined up for the kids? It would be too hard for you without help. Either girl friends, people from church or a high school student needs to be around to help you.
 
@JustmeT. What was it that changed my thinking. Well to cut a lob story short. I have had 10 years of hell. I found out things were happening to my children that I was unaware of when I wasn't around. I'm single. They had visits with their father. I have spent the last ten years supporting them, financially, legally, emotionally in the hope that this would result in them turning their live around and facing a positive future. It worked and finally there is light at the end of the tunnel as of last year. I now have two very young grandchildren and I am a young grand mother. I spend a lot of time with them. What made me change my attitude was those two little cherubs. I want to do things with them, be there for them and live my life finally and I don't want this stupid knee to prevent me from being the best and as active as possible grandmother or nurse/midwife. At 48(ok 49 in a few days) I want to live life not just exist. Their lives are precious and it is my job as a mother and grandmother to protect, support and encourage my children (even though they are now adults in their mid and late 20s) and their children. I can't do that while my knee runs my life which it would have continued to do if I hadn't had the revision. (Sorry it's a long answer)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JustmeT. Really the issue is that we know what we're in for the second time round and I think that is what escalates our fears/anxiety as it was only a short time since we'd previously been through it. The thought of six weeks without driving, not being active and relying on others yet again seems insurmountable. However, the thought of life missing out on life experiences with kids, family, partner (not me as I don't have one) or even not being able to return to work in the foreseeable future to me was worse than insurmountable. Once I made the decision and sent the forms the fear and anxiety all but disappeared.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@skigirl

I was talking with my husband and looks like if he leaves to come back to Canada, he will have to start right back at the beginning to get any thing done for his back. Right now he is on the list for the laser surgery, they told him it will be a 3-4 month wait so that brings us up to May or June at least and whatever time he needs to be there after that to keep his appointments with the doctor.

We can see no way clear for me to have this knee revision done in the near future unless by some miracle he gets an appointment for his back in the next few weeks.

There is no way I can do this without him here, I have and we have looked at it from every angle we can think of to try and figure something out but to no avail. I just do not have the support system here at the moment for me to do this.

So my decision has been made!!! Time to suck it up, stop whining and worrying and to get it done when I can...for now that is the best I can do and I really do need to stop thinking about this. (Kinda hard to do when the leg is in pain but I will find a way)!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Many people find that some sort of a brace helps with the pain until they can get a revison---have you talked with your doc about that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom