Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision again

Every day is way too much on this traumatized knee. Don't listen to your OS. You'll be right back in the same boat with the low ROM. All you need to do the next few weeks is very gentle movements. Would you tear off a scab? Aggressive PT will be tearing scabs inside your knee. Those inside scabs need to heal before starting anything but very gentle movements.
 
I saw my PT the week after my MUA. She didn't expect me to do any aggressive exercise at all. She helped me to walk better after the months of 'hip hitching' due to non bending knee and the best way to do steps. Practical stuff. I then saw her once more a few weeks later mainly to thank her!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Woke up this morning block is wearing off. Not bending what I was yesterday darn! Got more swelling today . I have pt today
 
The knee is going to swell so soon after an MUA. If you have to go to PT (everyday so TOO much) don't do anything that hurts, only unassisted heel slides. The more you ask of it right now, the more it will swell.
 
This is ok. It's not scar tissue yet, I know it's easy to start stressing. But take a deep breath and know that the swelling will subside if you let it. You got this!
 
Stay calm and be gentle with that newly traumatized knee. If you follow the Bonesmart protocols, I'd expect you will have the desired outcome.
 
Ditto to all the good advice on here. Baby that newly stressed knee! Find a good book and take the opportunity to check out of the rat race for a bit. Your knee will thank you in the long run.
 
You should cancel that PT. It's too soon. All you need to do is TLC that knee. It's just going to swell more if you don't.
 
Take it easy. I was happy just to have my foot flat on the floor at first. Further ROM developed in little amounts and I tended not to notice until, one day sitting at my desk, I looked down and my leg was neatly placed right under the chair must have been 110 at least. Good enough for me!
Try not to expect too much too soon.
 
Just left pt. Dr got 130 in surgery yesterday. In pt we only got 75. I swelled a lot overnight . Thoughts ?
 
Dr wants me In pt now because I get a lot of scar tissue fast because all my previous surgeries
 
I hate to say it, but that's baloney. You don't make adhesions fast. All you are doing with all this PT is keeping that traumatized knee more traumatized and swollen. Your ROM was down because you are swollen. Trying to force it is just going to make it swell more!
 
Doing too much exercise will irritate your wounded knee and is a guaranteed way of making it form scar tissue. You don't have to work hard to keep the dreaded scar tissue (adhesions) away. It's not just sitting there, waiting to pounce. All you have to do is keep your knee moving gently.

Of course you couldn't bend your knee in PT as far as your surgeon bent it during the MUA - your knee is swollen now, from the trauma of the MUA, and swelling is what's keeping it from bending.

I'm going to ask @skigirl to talk to you. She had to have an operation to remove scar tissue and was told to rehab her knee very gently.
 
Oh yes don't let it get inflamed. I developed scar tissue very quickly after initial op but not after MUA due to careful PT's advice. Please take it easy!
 
I see dr tomorrow for post op gonna ask for something for the swelling . Pt wasn't rough at all. Just some stretches . Unfortunately ever since I had my osteotomy I get scar tissue quick .
 
Ice, ice, ice. Elevate and ice and rest. Gentle heel slides. Then more ice.

What did PT do today?
 
pt did some stretches, heated my quad and i did a stepping bike.
 
Reading this thus far makes me wonder what the blinkety do they teach some doctors to be in med school.
It is so obvious that scar tissue won't develop if you use your joint gently. (Even if you develop scar tissue faster than others.) There's no need for forcing anything. All 3 PTs I've talked to (two in person) one by skype (< a distant relative) all said the same to me that first week: rest, ( let your entire body heal, elevate and ice the knee as long as you find it comfortable and while awake ( sleep is good for healing) get up for a few minutes every hour. First week just heel pumps is plenty, try to sit at a normal table for meals, that's it!
Please do read all the experience here. It's invaluable to your health and soul.
 
My doctor warned me often that if I exercised a hot, swollen knee, I would cause adhesions (scar tissue) to form. He had me exercise very gently until the swelling was gone. To get rid of swelling--Ice, elevate on three pillows and rest. You will get more swelling if you are up and about. I lay on the couch for three weeks, then began gentle exercises and did not do any weight bearing exercises until week 4. Gentle, gentle.

If you have a lot of swelling, I found that a lymphatic massage therapist was quite helpful.
 
At this point my quad of preventing it to bend . The quad is real painful like it was ripped or something.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom