Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision again

I had that pain after my first. Muscle relaxants really helped. Ask your OS. I suspect my quad was torn bc of how much they had to move my patella to bring it into proper alignment. It was the most painful part of the first week of my recovery with knee #1.
 
At this point my quad of preventing it to bend . The quad is real painful like it was ripped or something.
It's quite likely that this is exactly what happened. If there were any adhesions in your quads, they will have been torn apart. That's why I told you that the MUA will have injured some of your soft tissues. Treat them gently, so they can heal.
Your surgeon had to use force to bend your knee - that's why you had to have an anaesthetic.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that? And if I do, will you listen to what I have to say? :wink:
 
My doctor warned me often that if I exercised a hot, swollen knee, I would cause adhesions (scar tissue) to form. He had me exercise very gently until the swelling was gone. To get rid of swelling--Ice, elevate on three pillows and rest. You will get more swelling if you are up and about. I lay on the couch for three weeks, then began gentle exercises and did not do any weight bearing exercises until week 4. Gentle, gentle.

If you have a lot of swelling, I found that a lymphatic massage therapist was quite helpful.
^Listen to skigirl. She knows what she's talking about. :ice:
 
Skigirl had an open lysis of adhesions, so she can give you first hand advice on adhesions.
 
Saw ortho today he wants me to push through therapy before I get any worse
 
I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with your surgeon. Pushing through is only going to upset and inflame your knee still further. Inflamed tissues get hot and dry - just the sort of conditions that will make them stick together and form adhesions.

If you take things gently, you will be far less likely to develop adhesions. I didn't make that up. It came from my surgeon, who does not allow any PT for the first month after a knee replacement, and after that PT only once every two weeks. He hasn't had to do an MUA to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for the success of his methods.

There's no need to rush to get ROM. Your knee can continue to improve for at least a year, unless you are talked into doing anything to halt its progress, such as over-exercising.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Id ask your Dr how many MUAs he does. I bet it's a lot. And I'm sure it's always the patients fault bc they didn't push hard enough. I like @Celle 's Dr's track record. No hard core pressure, wait on PT til tissues have healed...and amazingly, no MUAs.

But I mean, ultimately we are just a bunch of voices on the Internet and he's your trusted Dr and it's your knee. It's your call.
 
I know how hard it is for you when your doctor and PT are telling you one thing and we are telling you another. As Jenn says, ultimately, it is your choice, because it's your knee.
 
Hi @patsortho. I've been following your thread closely. My doc is threatening a MUA as well. I see him next Thursday. It is really scary especially after a MUA to sit back and not push. I may be in the same situation. I really do trust you bone smarties but it takes a leap of faith I think. I'll be praying for wisdom and strength for you. I so wish that all our OS's and PT would get a refresher on the new way!
 
I am praying that God will lead you in the right way for your recovery.
 
Only reason why I want to try is because knee is getting stiff again . He got knee straight in surgery but now it's not straight I don't get it :(
 
Your knee is stiff because of the MUA. Forcing the knee, surrounding tissues and muscles etc to bend causes them to swell. Aggressive, repetitive therapy causes the same swelling. So by having PT everyday after an MUA the knee is experiencing a double whammy, will swell and stiffen as a result.

The good news is the knee will bend, but probably not until the swelling diminishes which is why it's important to let rest, ice and elevate. This is what @Spex10 did with a great outcome.
 
I've gotten about 100° bend on my 2 week old knee at PT. But yesterday, I did too much. In and out of my friends car, walked across uneven grass and around a park. That afternoon, I was probably bending closer to 70/80° and had to kick it out when I got on the toilet, like right after surgery. I didn't lose bend. I just put too much workload on a healing knee and the knee responded by swelling as a way to tell me to slow down. I know it's scary to feel like you lost bend, but you can't compare what the Dr was able to force while you were knocked out, vs what you can do naturally, while those tissues are healing.
 
Definitely agree . At pt today we took it easy had a little progress. I was able to use the floor pedal bike . Before I couldn't . Bend isn't any better but feels like it's loosening up
 
Good. Remember you are only a few days out of your knee being re-traumatized after the MUA. Easy does it. :)
 
Yup! Little by little and don't expect too much too soon. Focus on feeling better and doing more everyday stuff rather than specific exercises. I'd say go girl but actually mean hold back a bit girl!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom