Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision again

He removed my acl and meniscus during surgery
That is normal with one type of TKR. The replacement hardware is specially made to compensate for that. It's called Cruciate sacrificing .
When the cruciate ligaments are in poor condition or even ruptured, a prosthesis is used which has a peg on the plastic insert and a notch on the femoral component to take over their functions of keeping the joint stable.
[Bonesmart.org] Revision again

It shouldn't affect your knee function at all, once your knee has recovered from the surgery.
 
If you have the MUA, it will mean treating your knee as if you just has the surgery. You'll need to forgo exercises and other activity to let the soft tissues heal after the trauma of the MUA. Following that protocol will help get the most of an MUA. Take a look at the Activity progression for TKRs to see what your activity should look like after surgery and to certain extent after an MUA.
 
My activity is limited as I can't walk. I Ice and elevate my knee constantly . Because I'm having a MUA ortho said knee just isn't going to move right now. I'm hoping for a good outcome. Measured today bending 51 straight -13. He said I have an extreme amount of scar tissue . PT has tried to get it to bend nothing worked. Unfortunately I have no choice here.
 
After the MUA be sure to take it easy and not be tempted to do too much. When is the MUA?
 
I think some folks definitely need an MUA. Just not as many who get threatened with it. You sound like one for whom it might be a good thing. (I also think less folks would need the mua if they tested and iced more right out of the gate.)

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
 
No you don't have a choice. But don't worry about the time frame. I've known folk have MUAs a year later and had good result from it. Like this member ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!.

In my opinion, your problem has been caused by the cellulitis and the later infection you had so early in your recovery. Not the lack of PT (though the pushing and shoving the PT did wouldn't have helped!) nor lack of elevating/icing. You've just been very, very unlucky.

Right now, with a ROM of 51/+15, you do desperately need an MUA and nothing else is going to do the job. Don't you worry about the osteopenia, that's your surgeon's job. Obviously he knows you have this condition and will take it into account when doing the manipulation. That also is his job and that's what you are paying him the big bucks for! It's my opinion that you should find this very beneficial.

PS. Osteopenia is a condition where weakness is caused by a reduction of protein and mineral content of bone tissue but this is usually less severe than in osteoporosis.
 
I had a wedge osteotomy in 2012 for valgus. It failed because my knee rejected the surgery.
Bit late in the day but I had to address this comment if only because you appear to be blaming your knee for these problems! The failure was not because your knee rejected the surgery. The surgery is only comprised of a cut in the bone and application of a bone plate and screws (or just screws) to fix the surgical fracture. I've never heard of this being 'rejected'!
After that I keep having problems with my meniscus - it just kept tearing by itself.
As for this, meniscii don't tear by themselves! They get torn by some issues within the joint such as a violent trauma (think football players!) or by arthritic changes as you stated later on was revealed by the MRI.

These comments are left for the benefit of readers who might be following this thread and not understand these important points.
 
Trying to upload pic of knee but won't let me :( really need advice on it
 
You'll need to go back to your computer and use a photo editing programme to reduce the size of the file.
 
I read on another thread that your incision isn't healed yet. Have you figured out how to upload a photo?
 
This is my knee as of yesterday. I'm 3 month po. Incision just won't heal. I have swelling as well.

[Bonesmart.org] Revision again
 
Incision just won't heal. I have swelling as well.
The wound looks fine to me. Perfectly healed and dry. A little scabby perhaps but that's not important.

You say it has swelling as if this is connected to the scar in some way? Is that what you are thinking?
 
No not conntecting it to scar tissue. For some reason swelling just won't go down . I see infection dr this week for a follow up.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom