Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Revision again

I have a brace that allows me to lock at extension . Seems to help me get a stretch...

Can you tell me what kind of brace this is? I've never heard of a brace that can lock your knee to help extension. I'd like to know as extension is my biggest issue right now. Thx!
 
@RadioGal - usually, those braces are a waste of time and money, besides which they're unnecessary for most people. (Patsortho is a special case and I think it was prescribed for her.)
You're only 3 months into a year-long recovery and your extension has plenty of time to improve. It's not at all unusual for it to take longer to achieve extension than flexion.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion), either flexion or extension, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Just checking in . No change . Knee still will not go straight. Been discharged from pt because no change . Revision specialist referred me to Boston. I see them next week. On verge of giving up:(
 
I’m so sorry. Hugs.
 
I know this is hard, but hang in there. :friends:
Don't give up. There is still time for your extension to improve.
You've been through so much, but it's still only 7 months since you had your TKR.
Time is on your side.
 
My first PT immediately after the TKR certainly contributed to the development of inflammation and on to adhesions! I took it easy after MUA with good results. PT this time was very gentle and practical. Only saw her a couple of times. Ice, elevation and walking did the trick for me. My problem was flexion rather than extension though.
 
You've been through so much, but it's still only 7 months since you had your TKR.
And only 3 months since your MUA. Have you been doing very gentle PT? My extension was slow to come also, but it has and yours will, too, if you give it time. What is your extension?
 
@patsortho I think our situations are very similar, as wearing braces goes, though I'd never claim to have gone through as much as you. I'm so sorry this is happening, but don't give, I'm certainly not. Wanted to relay my brace experience to offer some glimmer of hope.

Reluctantly I took on wearing something called the Dynasplint knee extension brace (attached a pic) and I hate it beyond anything I can say. I'm required to wear it 6-8 hours a day. I wear it @ bedtime, which is really why I hate it, but today during PT I measured @ -5. Before the splint I was steadily around -12 to -15. PT would push on my knee to gain extension (fun!) and I'd be lucky to leave there a few degrees better, but we hadn't measured in a couple of weeks since I started wearing it and voila! Progress! I hate (did I mention how much I hate this splint?) that this is the way I'm gaining extension but it seems to be working. My pain is lessening as well, but then again I'm four months out and so it was bound to get better. But I still have other issues going on, valgus knee for one, but will seek another opinion on that soon since my doc is not great @ taking blame for anything that may have gone wrong. Either way, I'm hoping I can lend some encouragement. Maybe not much, but wanted to try just the same. Let me know if I can be of help with anything.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Revision again
    dyno.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 206
@RadioGal i have dynasplint as well. Unfortunately it doesn’t helped any. I saw a revision specialist and her referred me to a Boston orthopedic at mass general. Also while I’m here, I’m consulting with orthopedic that did my osteotomy. I have been unable to walk since surgery. I was in rehabbed got discharged. Did home pt discharged me because of no progress.
 
@patsortho Okay, got it...didn't know you had the same brace as me. I'm sorry it's not working, and just in general all you've had to go through. I think of all the accounts I've read on here since joining your story really hits me in the heart most of all. What a crazy ride! But I have a feeling your comeback will be a story to follow as well. Sounds like you're on the right path now. Please keep us/me up to date.

Note to moderator...would you be as so kind to add my MUA date? Thank you! Sep. 7th, 2017
 
@patsortho - your knee has been bent for so long that it will take a long time to straighten again. The muscles and tendons at he back of your leg will have shrunk and it takes a long time and gentle treatment for them to lengthen again.
I don't think you'll get fast results, but slow and steady could work.
 
Update : I have been to several specialist in Boston and Connecticut. Unfortunately I need a revision:( after testing they determined I have wrong size liner, and both femur and tibia .
 
Oh, what a terrible disappointment. I am so sorry to hear this. Be sure and get a revision specialist that doesn't have any connection with your previous OSs. We are here for you.
 
Last edited:
I’m up north . Had to travel 1200 miles to find out what’s wrong .
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom