Revision TKR Revision again

Ok thanks @Celle I was thinking I was doing something wrong because we got a better bend in hospital after surgery
 
Of course you'd have more flexibility right after the procedure because it takes a little time for the swelling to build up. Please take things very easy and give your poor wounded knee some time to heal. You want to minimize swelling and inflammation, so that means rest, ice, elevation and some type of medication on a schedule if you have pain. You should not be attempting a lot of exercise. Just gentle bends and stretches throughout the day and some walking about the house every hour or two for at least several weeks. I think your plan to skip formal therapy right now is a good one.
 
Hi @patsortho, I had my MUA a month ago today. My OS showed my DH pictures of my foot touching my bottom right after the MUA. I went home the same day and actually did have PT later that day. I did gain 15 degrees that day but could no where near touch my bum with my foot!

My therapist was highly protective of that knee. Be very careful. We only did gentle stretching for almost the entire month. Last week I did a little more but mainly just activities of daily living. I have been able to go from 90 where I was stuck to 130 but none of that was with nothing but gentle stretching. I'm still swollen a month later and have to use kiniseo taping a lot to help with swelling.

I know you weren't at 90 so you may advance slower. I didn't use the CPM at all. Be patient, I know that's so hard with all you've been through. I hope you weather IRMA okay. I love St Augustine! My family is in Deltona, just down the road a bit. :friends:
 
Last edited:
I can't say I did physio exercises. However, I made lots of reasons to get up and go to fetch things or do little things round the house. Just quite a lot of up and down. I tried not to let my knee be in one position for any length of time. I used my little static pedaler a bit too. Anything to keep moving. The additional fluid causing the swelling needs to be pumped away. It's important to get a balance between doing that and over exercising and causing more swelling. Little by little wins the day!
 
Update!!!! first time in 6 months i have slowly started walking omg. Big improvement... knee still isn't 0 but I'm getting there. unsure what bend is i get measured tomorrow.
 
Yippee!! Good going! Don't let PT mess it up with being too aggressive. Remember, nice and easy on that knee!
 
Yes....I agree. You've gotten this far with the gentle approach to activity and exercise. Keep going down that same path. A cool, uninflamed knee has a much better chance not to redevelop any arthrofibrosis than if it gets overworked, painful and/or swollen.

But this is really great news!!
 
And that walking will help stretch the extension to 0. Slow and steady is the way to do it. :yes:
 
Great news! Walking is what knees are built to do and is a natural, good exercise. You'll build up your muscle strength and flexibility. So happy for you!
 
Are still walking? That's the best thing you can do for your knee.
 
While you should be resting, elevating and icing almost all them, when you get up and walk to the kitchen or the bathroom, then you are doing the best thing for that knee. I'm so glad you can walk now!
 
Knee does not want to go straight ugh . Trying everything . I'm a 13 right now
 
Honey, that's because you are swollen. You can ice the back of your knee, too. Extension has been hard for many of us. Please try not to worry. Your knee has to heal from both the tkr and the mua. Don't try so hard, you'll just keep your tissues inflamed. Ice and elevate.
 
Extension is often the last bit of ROM for many people. Don't let anyone push down on your knee, though. Letting me leg bridge between the chair and ottoman helped me. I let gravity do its thing. Later when you're walking more that'll help also.
 
Be sure you are not trying to walk with no walking aid. You need the stability of a walker or crutches to help you right now. Remember that it's just temporary!
 
I have a brace that allows me to lock at extension . Seems to help me get a stretch . I use my walker to walk . Not trying to kill myself . Little at a time . Hope this knee will bend eventually.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom